Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately the Good Year GSD3 F1 tyre is no longer available to purchase new, all dealers selling these tyres are selling old stock.

After loadsa searching i have managed to find a pair for my fronts (rears have loadsa meat left on them) Dilemma is I dont really want to buy 2 now and then try and find 2 to match in about 6 months time, it aint gonna happen.

I have scoured these pages and have found that most of the tyres used are either out of my price range or are old stock tyres again.

I have been offered a pair of Dunlop SP01 for ?80 each fitted, i am really tempted by these but dont know of anyone who has them fitted. (they replaced the P9000 which was a copy of the GSD3 F1's)

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/searchResults/SPSport01/

Can anyone offer some advice?

Many thanks in advance

JB68

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Positive mate, most of the website dealers are clearing old stock.

If you go to a major stockist/reseller on the high street they will not have them in stock.

JB68

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I find it hard to believe the F1s are gone at least not without a suitable replacement,the are too big a seller!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from online sellers, try buying some from a major tyre fitter.

The reason I havent got any from an online dealer is that I need them fitting today, hence need an "in stock" tyre.

JB68

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to people in the "know", most manufacturers are moving away from directional tyres and are pushing the "multi use" tyres (with a performance theme)

F1's are used by the some Police forces in the UK so they cant be that bad.

Probably a good enough reason to stop producing them :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Im on my second set i find them so good id stock up if i had the cash lying arouund! was thinking of trying toyos next time out looks like my hand will be forced!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have just had a call from a nice chap at Goodyear technical. The F1 GSD3 is most definatley still available as part of their current range. He did say taht given it's been around for 2 or 3 years that he can't say it will still be available in another 2 or 3 years but given the way it sells there is now way they would stop it without bringing out a new improved tyre as a replacement.

Phew!

·
Registered
200 Posts
i just had the AVON ZZ3's fitted on mine, and so far all i can say is they seem to be a top tyre, great grip, low noise and a not bad tread pattern to.

Posted Image

(pic from google)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why are no "High street" tyre shops selling them then?

I have spoken to a few mates who are managers at these places (Kwik fit + ATS types) and they are not available to order. I also contacted Blackcircles and they have limited stocks, once they are used they can not re-supply the GSD3.

Conflicting information, I think GoodYear need to get on to their sales dept and rattle a few cages.

JB68

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When i went looking for my F1s no high street outlet had them in stock,all said they would have to order them in and most said they had a budget tyre in stock that was identical to the F1 (yeah right!) i think the reason is,and this is only speaking from my exp here in ireland,most people when they go looking for tyres to your average highstreet outlet dont go in looking for F1s or Toyos etc as they dont have a clue,they will just drive in and say "Whats the cheapest you can do four tyres for...." as a result these highstreet places buy in massive amounts of budget or middle ground tyres at a seriously reduced rate to make the maximum profit,it simply would not pay to buy in 50 sets of F1s,as chances are when you call in enquiring about them you will be the first to do so and ordering in one set of F1 tyres to help you out just doesnt pay them so why bother?! And on the whole alot of highstreet outlets cant be trusted when i first went looking for F1s the first place i tried said he didnt have them but he had a dunlop tyre that was identical to the F1 even better,he used the classic line "i have a sports car myself and i wouldnt use anything but these!!!" so i innocently went on the net and checked out this dunlop tyre he was on about,it hadnt even got the V thread so for a start or the solid sidewalls of the F1 it couldnt even do the same job as the F1,anyway i degress every other outlet i tried after that asked what car i was putting them on,when i said i was putting them on a TDi golf some of the reactions i got were a joke,like do you mean GTi? no i mean TDI i think i know what car i drive!!!!! in the end i got my first set from a very very small backstreet place(so small he hadnt even got a ramp just a trolley jack!) at a very competitive price,the next set i got from rochfords on my wheels also at a good price.Anyway thats my theory on highstreet outlets and performance tyres!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was speaking to my local tyre people the other day and apparently what's happening at the mo is that Goodyear cannot get their just in time manufacturing right.

So lets say they may shed loads of F1's flood the market then cos they have too many they offload them cheap to their distributors. They tell the disti's not to sell cheaper than they should but basically cos the distis bought loads they want to turn round the cash asap...meanwhile GY have stopped production and making something else...the tyre mount goes down faster than they expdct and that is where we are now...

well the story was something along those lines (the guy I spoke to is an ex tyre trader that decided to setup his on tyre fitting business in an attempt to get out of the working for someone else scneario)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just had an email response from GY, they are calling me tomorrow with more information.

Bigburd sounds like his mate hit the nail on the head, will post as soon as I know more (hopefully with an "in stock" dealer list)

For the record i didnt mind ordering as I knew they (shit-fit) wouldnt have many expensive tyres in stock, but to be told by major tyre outlets that tyres are unavailable needed to be challenged/investigated.

JB68

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a short mail from Good Year,

Yellow pages in your area would give you a list of tyre dealers,having said
that our retail outlet is HiQ Tyreservices,any Kwikfit,ATS,NTS depot could
have tyres delivered within 24 hours.As you know the exact tyre you want we
would suggest you make a few phone calls to different dealers as prices
vary in the market place.

Not much help though as these dealers will not order the tyres in, I have responded to this mail and await a reply.

JB68

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just spoken to this guy at Good Year (they rang me) the tyres are VERY much available and it sounds like the tyre re-sellers have been gulty of sales tactics.

He also mentioned that the only real independant tyre dealer was kwik fit, most of the others (ATS, etc) are owned by tyre manufacturers (michelin for instance). GY actually own Hi Q.

JB68, ref our conversation on the phone the 205/55ZR16 Eagle F1 GSD3 91W
TL is very much so still within our line up so I would not describe it as
an "old tyre".

As I write we have plenty of stocks of the 205/55ZR16 Eagle F1 GSD3 91W.
Should you continue to have problems buying the tyre through Kwik Fit
advise them our SAP product code is 516850 and they can get the tyres
direct from us.

Regards

Peter Wayte
Product Support & Service

Hope this helps to clear up the confusion, panic over.

JB68

1 - 20 of 23 Posts