Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Good Year Eagle F1's Great !

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Doug W 
#1 ·
Just got the fronts replaced (like for like) Goodyear Eagle F1's GSD3's for only ?207.99 for the two including fitting, babalce replacement of 3 valves( dodgey one on rear) and a changer over, put one as a spare, great value and service, Tyre Express: Warrington Tel 01925 657070.

Driving back following fitting, I had forgotten how just how grippy these little babies where new (tyres that were replaced had been on for 36K miles)

I don't reckon there is a tyre to touch them in the wet either ![:D]

Only mminus is that it is ?200 that could of been spent on a mod ![:(]

#6 ·
Giddy, if thats for a 225/40/18 then its around the going rate.

I paid ?125 per corner balanced and fitted but I trust the workshop (Dave Sheldon Tyres, Manchester) 100% and know they won't damage my alloys in the process.

Its worth paying the extra for a service you can rely on.

#9 ·
Quote: posted by Giddy on 12/02/2005 20:14:16

Do they have the rim protectors like the Toyo's?

They sure do,...fab stuff and worth every penny !

I think the Toyo Proxes TS-1 were a go of imitating the leader,...the leader being the F1 GSD3's.

#11 ·
Quote: posted by AdeMcG on 12/02/2005 18:21:08

Driving back following fitting, I had forgotten how just how grippy these little babies where new (tyres that were replaced had been on for 36K miles)

I guess they wernt F1's then at 36K, mine have been on for about 10k & have only 3mm left [V]Or are you running on the threads

But they are supper grippy [^]

#12 ·
Quote: posted by AdeMcG on 12/02/2005 22:14:54

Anyone heard of the purge with Nitrogen to reduce both oxidation and rate of transferance through the tyre wall?

Not sure what you quite mean by oxidation and transference, but the tyre supplier that I use actually inflate their tyres with nitrogen to stop the expansion of the 'air' in the tyre when they get hot, which makes the pressure go up and causes the tyres to wear unevenly.

#17 ·
Just had two fitted on mine, 225/45/17 for ?193.00 all in at Micheldever Tyres. Now got a full set!! Love em to bits!

Got them put on my A4 235/45/17 last year as I do big miles and the car handles so much better it is fantastic. I am so much more confident in the handling now!

#18 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 13/02/2005 20:07:51

Quote: posted by AdeMcG on 12/02/2005 18:21:08

I guess they wernt F1's then at 36K, mine have been on for about 10k & have only 3mm left [V]Or are you running on the threads

But they are supper grippy [^]

Defo GSD3's what can I say, I am no boy racer, Mway motoring from Warrington to Crewe everyday.

#19 ·
Quote: posted by RichieDan on 14/02/2005 09:34:30

Quote: posted by AdeMcG on 12/02/2005 22:14:54

Anyone heard of the purge with Nitrogen to reduce both oxidation and rate of transferance through the tyre wall?

Not sure what you quite mean by oxidation and transference, but the tyre supplier that I use actually inflate their tyres with nitrogen to stop the expansion of the 'air' in the tyre when they get hot, which makes the pressure go up and causes the tyres to wear unevenly.

Oxidation is the process where by metal oxidises e.g. Fe becomes Fe203(normally called rust on steals), but alloy does a similar thing. The application of Nitrogen in the tyre would act like a purge, removing the oxygen and therefore preventing/ slowing the oxidation process.

Transferance is when the gas(in this instance air) travels through the rubber wall of the tyre(as it is a permiable barier). The rate is affected by the size and shape of the molecule in question, apparently N2 (nitrogen) transfers to the low pressure side of the tyre (e.g. outside) at a slower rate than air, however I can't get my head around this as air is made up of many components, mainly Nitrogen (approx 78%) and oxygen (approx 22%) perhaps the Nitrogen purge will be compressed differently and act more like a Newtonian gas (more uniform) whereas the compressed air acts more non- uniform.

#20 ·
Quote: posted by gregramsey on 14/02/2005 11:48:10

Had pirelli p6000 and changed to the f1s and no regret, apart they wear down quite extensively...

Btw hi to everyone and jace how do!! been long time since i been on here... back every now and again, hope there is still some comedy around??

I thought you'd sold up & bought a bad boy corsa [:D]

welcome back [^]

#22 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 16/02/2005 11:00:51

Quote: posted by gregramsey on 14/02/2005 11:48:10

Had pirelli p6000 and changed to the f1s and no regret, apart they wear down quite extensively...

Btw hi to everyone and jace how do!! been long time since i been on here... back every now and again, hope there is still some comedy around??

I thought you'd sold up & bought a bad boy corsa [:D]

welcome back [^]

hahaha no no no... well i was debating on a nova but decided to keep the golf haha...

No my question lies between either going for a TT and suffer fuel costs or a PD150 GT TDi... 3dr obviously because 5drs (every man and his dog has one [:eek:)][8D][:eek:)] [gonna get a beating i know it haha] so what to go for...?)

#23 ·
Quote: posted by gregramsey on 18/02/2005 01:06:24

hahaha no no no... well i was debating on a nova but decided to keep the golf haha...

No my question lies between either going for a TT and suffer fuel costs or a PD150 GT TDi... 3dr obviously because 5drs (every man and his dog has one [:eek:)][8D][:eek:)] [gonna get a beating i know it haha] so what to go for...?)

PD150 GT TDi... Accept no other substitute & its gota be 3dr, not a 5dr Dad wagon[^]

#25 ·
Quote: posted by gregramsey on 21/02/2005 15:18:57

indeed jace, vw garages rarely have them and does an independant garage really want to sell a better model car to exchange for a lower spec one...

At the end of the day money is money, moving motors is the name of the game

Apparently the 150's revo'd are very nice though, love to know the stats on one in corolation to speed and 0-60

I'd say Jabba is the better [:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.