Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Touran Taxi
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment all I have is a cheap socket set with half the bits missing and a cheap screwdriver set from lidl's, although it does have all the TORX bits you could ever want.

I'm thinking about getting this one from halfords. At half price is it a good deal? Are the bits included bits that will be needed with my MK4 golf?

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts

·
Touran Taxi
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have £100 to spend on tools tho, especially one's i may only use a few times a year. I'm no professional mechanic etc so I think that kit is a bit much for what I will use it for. No plans to drain gearbox oil myself and not confident enough to play around with my brakes lol!!

Just looking for a set for the basics really. When I tinker about with important bits something usually goes wrong [doh]

·
Touran Taxi
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it ain't a lot cos my girlfriends dad works for mercedes has has some really expensive tools! I'm just on a budget and want the best value I can get for the price I can pay. Seeing as I'm going to have to spend a bit more then first planned I'm gunna have to wait till payday and get a better, more expensive set I think.

Even tho at the moment I only wish to do the odd bits here and there one day I may fancy tackling something big and adventurous so a set that will last may be a better purchase.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
With tools i find you get what you pay for so its always worth paying that little bit more for something decent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
also if you can blag a tradecard i got mine for about £75

your suppose to show proof of bein in the trade, which i am, they asked i said yeah got my payslip in my pocket but they never acutally looked at it

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Halfords stuff does the job at home definately, ive used mine for everything from simple services to engine changes, only ever had chew with the ratchets, got sick and bought a snap on one, which in fairness, when the world ends, will still be there with the cockroaches lol.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i was looking at the VERY same set in halfords on friday, the £50 Dynamic one, and was advised on the omega owners forum to go for the one at £100 that Chris. has mentioned

halfords advanced are very highly thought of

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
anything tool related with a lifetime guarantee is well worth it in my books, i know its more but got for the 150 piece tool kit, buy cheap by twice, if you can't afford now wait and save up rather than buy a cheap one then wait and buy another kit later

Ian

1 - 20 of 30 Posts