Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months edition worth a read, a decent article comparing an Allard 200bhp Diesel Mk4 against a Jabba 1.8 20v T, well woth a read with all the usual chat about torque or BHP, some of the GPS timed performance figures may give you a shock, the sooty one won the 0 - 60....

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It was the 30 to 70 times that suprised me 15.4 for petrol and 7.5 for diesel !!!

EDIT - sorry should have said it was in fourth iirc

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote: posted by BORA_TOM on 25/03/2005 16:37:17

It was the 30 to 70 times that suprised me 15.4 for petrol and 7.5 for diesel !!!

Blimey! - gonna have to read about this. Thats quite a difference!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
So a car with similar power is going to be twice as quick from 30-70? I doubt it.... and i doubt even a stock 180 1.8T will take 15 seconds from 30-70, it seems like a bloody age!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Seems a bit of a daft test tho doesnt it? All your proving is that one has more torque low down than the other, which we already know because of the data figures for each car. If your gonna do times like 30-70, you do it through the gears otherwise your proving nothing in my view.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That test was done on the day in February that NikB and I went down to see Alan Allard at their premises - Lloyd Allard had taken the car to Bruntingthorpe so we were unable to road test a demonstrator. The conditions that day were appalling; lots of snow and slush (had the weather been better the diesel would obviously have been able to get the power down better[;)])

Their demonstrator is a PD130 with a hybrid turbo and other bits, but it is not an extreme conversion compared with some of the other options they offer.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Very good articale showing good points for both cars.

As quoted from the magazine 'Golf owners have never had it so good' [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 26/03/2005 14:54:18

what month is it in? i have april and didnt see it

Well their website is pants, no clues there [:(]http://www.thegolf.co.uk/content/this.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote: posted by Spin 150PD on 25/03/2005 13:17:30

This months edition worth a read, a decent article comparing an Allard 200bhp Diesel Mk4 against a Jabba 1.8 20v T, well woth a read with all the usual chat about torque or BHP, some of the GPS timed performance figures may give you a shock, the sooty one won the 0 - 60....

What where the acceleration times for both cars? Did they not do any 30-70 times (through the gears) as they would have been interesting.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The test can't have been that great, as James has said the conditions on that day were appaling. It's possible the 1.8T couldn't get its power down but you'd think the TDi would struggle more with that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what edition the mag is as I know they arrive very early as I have a subscription maybe even the edition for May, will check this evening (mag at home) and post the details to include all the in gear accelaration times etc, the article was very kind to both diesel & petrol only really critising the diesel for the sound it makes on initial start up [!)

I had just cancelled my subscription prior to recieving this months mag as I'm not into alot of the 'custom' cars featured then they go and include an article close to my heart, Ironic eh [?][:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts