Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:S] coming back home today, accelerated, got to 3k rpm, instead of car going mentel and shooting off, it went dead. no boost. felt like driving a n/a car! cant see anything under bonnet out if place, or hoses off or split. anyone got ideas? got no access to vagcom either

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the same thing happend to my moped and it was the ecu(cdi)unit which sumhow unprogramed its self and messed up i had to get it remaped again...but im not car expert so i am probly wrong...............lex

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded limp mode.  I get it quite often just now - need to get my car plugged into VAGCOM, but its likely to be caused by 2 things, either your MAF is knackered or your N75 valve is on its way out.  Either way both the MAF and N75 cost around £40 each.  Best to try get a hold of VAGCOM and see what exactly is causing it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea mafs what i thought at first. cars sat in garage at mo. guna see whats happening after tea. track day on monday! grrr, spose if its maf, could pick it up,fit and head off to track

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If it is just limp mode mate, it should be back to normal as you as you re-start the engine.  Give it another try, drive it hard up to just over 3,000 RPM and see if the power dies again.  Between 2,500 and 3,200 revs seems to be the range where it happens to my TDi as this seems to be where overboost occurs, thus causing the engine to shut down and go into limp mode.  More than likely your MAF though I would think.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no access to vagcom. cant see anything out of place anywhere, no hoses off, or damaged. runs nice upto 3k rpm, then gutless

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just have a check of the intercooler pipes, one could have blown off. Also why not try an ecu reset and see how it runs then.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
intercooler pipes seem fine. disconnected battery, left for 30mins, tried again, no better. seems to run better with maf disconnected, but still not good

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you checked all of the connections for the intercooler hoses? Especially the ones to and from the intercooler? There's one which you might have to move the offside headlight for. The standard hoses are pretty crap!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorted, been to see bill. he's pretty confident he knows the problem. possible split hose.

lee, i've paid for that track day yea, will they carry it over to another day they organise?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well at least its nothing major, could have been worse, or happend while out on track. cars parked up and locked away now. next track apperance, it will be lighter, and hell of a lot quicker [:D]

guna join the 400 club [;)]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've asked the organiser about it Matt.

will let you know tomorrow if something can be arranged.

I'll do my best for ya.

He's a good chap and knows I'll be doing more events with him next year so a goodwill gesture will be good.

He does track days at Goodwood too. You ever been to that one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts