Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a long-shot this, but does anyone have a decent photo of their Golf V6 4Motion towing a caravan?

(The Golf V6 4Mo was voted Towcar of the Year in October 2000)

for use in Volkswagen Driver mag?s model profile feature

cheers

[email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
arrrgghhhh sacrilege! No one give him a pic ffs!

Only kidding and sorry I haven't got a pic. I remember getting some stick about that when I first got mine - caravan, pipe, slippers, bank holiday traffic jams... 4Motions and caravans nooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I could have sworn that there was an issue fitting the towbar to the 4motion... isnt the usual place blocked by rear suspension/exhaust setup????????

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Thats right you cannot fit a a towbar to a 4motion, it would make an excelent tow car, however maybe it was a passat 4motion

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats right you cannot fit a a towbar to a 4motion, it would make an excelent tow car, however maybe it was a passat 4motion
I also remember that article Neil is talking about. This was the one and only award that the MkIV Golf V6 4m ever won! And just for a bit of trivia, did you all know that when this car was first released in the States, it was powered by the same engine as in the Golf Mk3 VR6?

~ Maxie

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes Neil, I can remember in 2000/2001 the V6 4mo won some from of "Caravan towing
car of the year" award or such like, It was on Top Gear about it too,
because I can remember Clarkson taking the p*$$ out of it.

Probably like you lot will now too[:)] So it must have been possible to put a tow bar on.

Sorry Neil, I don't have a picture of one towing a caravan!

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/News/Current+Club+News/Towcar+of+the+Year+Results+87-03.htm

2001 "Towcar of the year, Overall winner"[:'(][:$]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I also remember that article Neil is talking about. This was the one and only award that the MkIV Golf V6 4m ever won! And just for a bit of trivia, did you all know that when this car was first released in the States, it was powered by the same engine as in the Golf Mk3 VR6?

~ Maxie
Not 4wd though fella, just a Mk3 in a mk4 body!!!

Wayne, god knows how they would fit the towbar then... just doesnt seem to be the mounting points for it?[:O]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the gist of the Towcar award info. I would guess that the Caravan Club were trying to redefine their profile slightly by going for something more exciting...

...but I can't believe all this stuff about the V6 4Mo not being able to take a towbar. Although, the brochure does show the detachable towbar option part No 1J0 092 145 with the note: Not suitable for V6 4Motion...!?

I?d guess that the V6 4Mo towbar has a special fitting ? can someone confirm?

Towcar of the Year, 2000
Quite significant, in terms of endorsing the true merits of the Golf V6 4Motion, was that in October 2000 it was voted Towcar of the Year by the Caravan Club in its annual awards. Volkswagen achieved the top placings in three price categories as well as the coveted overall title, the first time in the 18 years of the competition that a single manufacturer had won so many classes outright. The Golf V6 4Motion won the class for cars priced over ?24,000, beating rivals like the Mitsubishi Shogun, Volvo Cross Country and Audi allroad quattro. Cars were subjected to a variety of driving and towing tests by a panel of experts, with points awarded for qualities such as accceleration, traction, stability, braking and hill starts. Caravan Club chairman Bob Black commented that? the Golf V6 4Motion will have great appeal to younger caravanners, particularly the 50 per cent of our members who go caravanning as couples?.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...and the tech spec panels give figures for trailer load limits (braked, unbraked, towbar load etc) etc for the V6 4Motion

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
try taking the back of your 4motion to bits, there is no way mr whitter
could engineer a tow bar to fit .... anyone with etka care to comment

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
This is the gist of the Towcar award info. I would guess that the Caravan Club were trying to redefine their profile slightly by going for something more exciting... ...but I can't believe all this stuff about the V6 4Mo not being able to take a towbar. Although, the brochure does show the detachable towbar option part No 1J0 092 145 with the note: Not suitable for V6 4Motion...!? I?d guess that the V6 4Mo towbar has a special fitting ? can someone confirm? Towcar of the Year, 2000 Quite significant, in terms of endorsing the true merits of the Golf V6 4Motion, was that in October 2000 it was voted Towcar of the Year by the Caravan Club in its annual awards. Volkswagen achieved the top placings in three price categories as well as the coveted overall title, the first time in the 18 years of the competition that a single manufacturer had won so many classes outright. The Golf V6 4Motion won the class for cars priced over ?24,000, beating rivals like the Mitsubishi Shogun, Volvo Cross Country and Audi allroad quattro. Cars were subjected to a variety of driving and towing tests by a panel of experts, with points awarded for qualities such as accceleration, traction, stability, braking and hill starts. Caravan Club chairman Bob Black commented that? the Golf V6 4Motion will have great appeal to younger caravanners, particularly the 50 per cent of our members who go caravanning as couples?.
99.9% sure. No towbar for 4motion golf. just doesnt fit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Come on guys, are we seriously to believe that the V6 4Motion can't be fitted with a towbar, when it won the Caravan Club Towcar of the Year contest....?!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You are all asusming its the OEM removable towbar that was used in the
test. It might be the heavy-as-a-tank steel beam aftermarket type they
make for all sorts of cars...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry guys, i'm 99.9% you're all wrong.......the towbar beam fits under the rear bumper skin - in place of the original bumper beam, and it's fixing arms go into prepared "slots", like chassis members under the trunk floor.

There are no interferences to prevent it happening - I had a towbar on my Mk4 - so I can advise from experience........I even just fitted one to our Octavia Estate - which is an identical process to the Mk4 - to be expected seeing as they are from the same heritage!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sorry guys, i'm 99.9% you're all wrong.......the towbar beam fits under the rear bumper skin - in place of the original bumper beam, and it's fixing arms go into prepared "slots", like chassis members under the trunk floor.

There are no interferences to prevent it happening - I had a towbar on my Mk4 - so I can advise from experience........I even just fitted one to our Octavia Estate - which is an identical process to the Mk4 - to be expected seeing as they are from the same heritage!
Generally, when foxy says something to be fair we definitely bow to superior knowledge. [;)] Wouldn't mind being 100% on this though. Its still very possible that the setup at the back DOES interfere on the 4motion. (Like for example the completely different exhaust cut out under the rear bumper, and different bumper mounting points etc on the 4motion to fwd drive cars) If it doesn't then I have not seen one example, EVER of a towbar being fitted.

Foxy on another note, I need to speak to you about another matter (blue and red led's for mk3 dash!) I will pm you soon!!! [;)]

Evil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts