Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Recently my golf has decided to start pissing coolant everywhere, problem is I've got no idea where it's coming from. It would appear coolant is leaking onto the small engine cooling fan and is being splattered all over the front of the engine. I've got some photos but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious. My guess would be radiator leak as that could potentially splatter coolant onto the fans. Doesn't seem to leak much overnight, only when the car is up to temp. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
what you shoud do is take the lot apart and check... as no one will be able to tell from those pictures... best way to determine would be to apply air pressure and submerge the radiator to rule it out ( needs plugging on one side) but it'll soon show you with bubbles coming out of it if you do it that way... but with yours being a v6 it could also be the pipe going to the thermostat housing or the thermostat housing itself...that is why i said taking it apart and actually looking at where the leak is coming from is your only option.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Chris, based on my recent experience, you could clean it all up. Start the car up and have another look with engine off. When my thermostat housing was leaking, I had drips on the gear box. Yours seems to be low in the engine bay. A hose or T-piece connector or radiator? Is there coolant in the reservoir?

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I actually recently replaced both the thermostat housing and the coolant pipe that runs from the coolant pump to the thermostat housing as they're was a slight leak. I believe it's nicknamed the 'crack pipe' because of the common issue of it cracking. Was guessing I would have to take apart the front end eventually. I'm very short for time this week so I was praying it was some common/obvious issue that could be diagnosed easily.

-Chris

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also there's still coolant in the reservoir, it doesn't seem to lose anything overnight but it slowly drains when driving. Drove for 30min at 40 mph and it dropped from the max line to the min. However when dropping my friends off for a train they were late for (some very aggressive driving) it more or less emptied the reservoir in the span of 5 min

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
935 Posts
Looks like the rad if you've done the crack pipe and thermostat housing ( pics don't show any coolant on the block ) The radiator is probably just past its time. I went with a Nissens rad from Eurocarprats and it's worked fine since July last year.

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pull out the radiator at some point and pressure test it just to confirm and replace it if need be.

-Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Chris, it's called crack pipe because that's what it looks like...

I'd undo the thermostat housing, check the seal and re tighten the two long bolts. I think my first slow leak was from here.

No offence, but did you put the thermostat seal in the correct place?
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design

Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory Digital camera Camera

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The leaking definitely isn't coming from the crack pipe or the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing is bone dry, the majority of the coolant is in front of the small engine fan. I can also see a good portion of the crack pipe from underneath the car and there's hardly any coolant on it. And yes.....I know which way the thermostat seal goes.

-Chris

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l VR6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, definitely the radiator. Just pulled it out there and the corner behind the small engine fan is absolutely fucked, no need for a pressure test to confirm. Cheers for the help lads :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts