Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,609 Posts
Handbrake rattle can be cured if u adjust the handbrake cable collar which is near the rear ashtray area. You'll need to dismantle the central console, by removing 2 torx screws which are located underneath the rear ashtray. Once you can gain access to the back of the handbrake lever, you can then adjust the handbrake cable by a few mm, enough to make the button stop buzzing/rattling.

Rear ashtray - yes they are supposed to open/shut together smoothly. However the mechanism can become dislodged if it's knocked (read KICKED) by clumsy back seat passengers.

You need to remove the side cover (cant remember which side) and then refit the spring and gear inside the side cover.

should take you about 10 mins max

Interior Light - feck knows, sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Interior door pull - you need to get the cable adjusted. take the door card off and adjust the cable.

Rattly engine from cold - ummm, I can honestly say all my Golfs have done this. I've owned 2x 1.8T's and now an R32 from new, and they all rattle from cold (tappet rattle) which goes away soon as the oil warms a little.

I wonder if your car's is the same? probably worth getting a garage look at it if it bothers you enough

· Registered
10,609 Posts
Sounds like one or more of the Coil Packs have failed on the engine.

Coil packs can/do fail if you have ones from a few years ago.

If it those that have failed, they are easy to replace, job done in minutes by VW assist or VW garage.

Does ur car have any warrenty left?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.