Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching the web for a new car for a few months time. Was originally interested in the 1.8T but now come across the V5, what are these like??

·
Registered
371 Posts
This question is asked a lot. Basically, they have similar fuel economy (~35mpg) and power. The 1.8T is more easily tunable due to its forced induction nature, but some of us prefer our torque delivery at low revs and don't plan on big power.

If you're after something easy to tune, get the 1.8T. If you want a decent amount of power from the factory with a fantastically unique sound and proper low-rev drivability, get the V5.

Also, I've noticed that under the new insurance groups, the 1.8T is slightly more expensive than the V5 (based on 150 BHP models).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I went for the 1.8t and didn't look back.

A lot more bang for your buck.

Dare i say - the V5 is a poor mans V6?

[help][help][help][help]

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you do go for a V5 make sure it is a later model (after 2002) as these are 170 BHP not 150 BHP. I think it's a good car, quick and the sound [:)]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Personally i would take the 1.8t anyday over either of the v5's there are a couple of reasons for me;

The 1.8t is by far easier to tune and costs less £ per bhp increase.

The v5 is too smooth and progressive for me, steals the feeling of speed and excitement.

Turbo's are very cool .... and you can fit an even bigger one lol [:D]

The 1.8t is lighter.

All that aside i still chose the 150 bhp tdi over either of them, but thats all about the torque (standard 150 bhp tdi has more torque per kg than the mk4 R32). Oh and i can get 54 mpg when i do a regular 40 mile trip that doesnt even include any motorways [:p]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
think you guys have made my mind up, think ill stick to wanting the 1.8T.

has to be black & 3 door tho lol [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tough call....the V5 makes a lovely noise, but the lighter and tuneable turbo might just sway it if tuning is to be done. If its going to stay stick, I might prefer the V5 as it has more character and flexibility (for me). My mate used to have the 170 V5 when they were new.

All that aside i still chose the 150 bhp tdi over either of them, but thats all about the torque (standard 150 bhp tdi has more torque per kg than the mk4 R32). Oh and i can get 54 mpg when i do a regular 40 mile trip that doesnt even include any motorways
People often quote that Diesles have more torque than their petrol counterparts....but diesels make their torque at lower revs...so need taller gearing to get the same wheel speed. Its torque at the wheels for a given wheel speed that matters, and I bet the R32 has more wheel torque than a 150....if it didn't the 150 would be quicker. Using fly wheel torque alone is a false conclusion....but Top Gear do the same all the time...even when comparing petrol engines ((Jag vs M5 on Dave recently :)). Thats what the power figure is for...it combines torque and speed to allow comparison more fairly....but then again only peak power is quoted....also leading to false conclusions.

Completely fair point on the MPG....I often miss the sound of petrol, but other than that I love my chipped 130.

Stu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts