Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted this for sale on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9873&item=4523404705&rd=1&tc=photo

Check the description; surely the vendor knows what they're selling???I am a bit of an anorak where MKIVs are concerned and can usually tell the exact model from a 100yds but I'm completely stumped by this one. Check the photos/spec; various things seem odd:

1. It's registered in Mar 2002 so I doubt it's a 110/115TDI..

2. Avus 1 alloys on a 2002 car?

3. Rear lights are not usual GT/GTI smoked version?

4. No front fogs

5. Rear badge and engine cover would suggest it's a 90TDI?

Any ideas..?

·
Registered
487 Posts
'This is the model everyone wants. Golf GT TDI in Silver with stunning Black Leather. We believe this to be either the 110BHP or 115 BHP version. Volswagen don't make it easy to tell!.'. hmm, im sure the 85kw would give it away, right? 6 spd would also give it away. Its a s/se tdi. Look at the steering wheel. Doenst make any sense, your right. Avus 1? Leather?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The really sad thing is that the car's received 19 bids; I wonder if these potential buyers know what they're actually bidding on. This case of incorrect description is getting more common on ebay.

·
Registered
479 Posts
One of those lamps has a front fog in it, the other doesn't. Looks dodgy to me. Oh, and I agree that's a TDI 90. I bet it's older than 02 plate...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've got a 2000W 90bhp and it looks just like mine, but I thought VW stopped using the 90bhp engine after 2000? Isn't a 2001 (or 02 in this case) TDI (all silver letters) 100bhp? I don't think that car is an 2002 model.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just sent him the following

your car is a 90bhp se or a s model you can tell this by the rear lights and steering wheel all the higher models has a 6 speed box, its not a gt tdi cos it would have a red I on the tdi badge on the rear and the engine cover just thought i would let you know so you can edit your advert and not give false info

cheers

berni

HE HE HE

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm not sure if it is false advertising as the ad says "We believe this to be either the 110BHP or 115 BHP version" so they'e not actually lying about it. they're just wrong/stupid. I think b19prm has done the right thing.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Also weren't all Mkiv's passenger door's delocked from 2002 onward? reason I say this is my GTI 1.8T wasn't and my Anni was.

From the photo it would appear to have a passenger lock!

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Quote: posted by benjie on 30/01/2005 18:18:25

Royster: the sticker in the picture is an all-silver TDI, as is the one under the bonnet.

No I mean under the boot carpet.[;)]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could well be an import. I've brought over several MkIV's and you can certainly spec up some bizarre engine/trim combinations that were not available in the UK if you wanted. Having said that, no spec ever allowed painted rubbing strips/door handles without the smoked rear lights as far as I can remember.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts