Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps / chap'esses

I am new to this forum and been looking over the threads for information on Golf alarm systems. The problem I have is that I own a Golf 2002 Tdi 130 with the standard alsrm and imobiliser.......is this any good or should I invest in some decent security???

[:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The std. alarm and immobiliser is Thatcham Category 1 - it's pretty damn good as standard.

If you haven't already done so get the car delocked, a ?20 job that could save your car. There's lots already written on here about this, have a search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you were I could get this done, I am in Liverpool and have rang around a few places that say its best to go to the dealer or if they can do it I am looking at over a ?100

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pub crawler - the parts cost about ?20 as said above, and that includes painting.

Its simply a case of making your drivers door look like your passenger door.

The lock barrel is removed, a solid lump of metal replaces the said lock barrel, and then th plastic cover (same as on the passenger side) covers that. The cap is painted before fitting.

Its one of the easiest DIY mods you can do other than the glasses holders.

Ill be working on my next "how to" shortly which will probably be the delock, so keep checking my signature for a guide - other than that search the forum and you should find all the info you need.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As you're in Liverpool, I should have said,

The only way to secure your car is to dig a big hole in the garden, put the car in and cover with concrete. Once set, you have slightly reduced the chances of it being stolen, though you should have locking wheelnuts too.

Delocking is easy - it takes about 15 mins to do once the paint has dried. There is a wiring alteration to be done too, but it'll be mentioned somewhere on here, or aske your dealer when you buy the bits. (no details to hand myself)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Felix - where can you get the parts already painted for ?20???

That sounds like a good price, been put off before 'cos I dont feel confident that I could spray it myself in anything like a good way.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Don't be put off, spraying the caps is easy.

Get the correct VW paint - will be one or two cans depending on your paint. Metallics are all 2-can.

I hung mine up using bits of wire. (cheap cigarette lighters are also a good size to mount them onto)

Spray 2-3 light coats of basecoat (colour) from about 12 inches away.

Spray 2-3 coats of lacquer.

Allow each coat of colour and lacquer to dry before spraying the next coat.

It took an afternoon to paint mine (well, 10 minutes spread out over an afternoon) Not tricky, and not disastrous if you mess it up - just rub the paint back and keep trying!

The caps come already primed, so that's another stage you can avoid.

pubcrawler - you trying the delocking or the hole? :)

The Shtu Security System(tm) can also be used to lower your premiums. Technically the car is now a patio, so covered under your buildings insurance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I didn't mean the parts were ?20 painted, I meant that the parts were ?20, and that covered the cost of you painting them i.e. the cost of purchasing the paint and laquer.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ditto the cheap cigarette lighter to hold the caps while spraying:

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So can I get the cap and everything needed - including the little disc that blocks it - AND the paint all for ?20??

That sounds mighty tempting if you can [:)]

Anyone know part numbers for the caps?

What about the little disc too, or does it all come as a 'kit'?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even if the Drivers door has been de-locked is it still possible to get into via the boot? Can this also be de-locked?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The little disc is a pain in the rear end to get hold of for some reason.

Not sure of the part numbers, but there are a lot of posts in this forum about delocking.

I had gone to a car breakers with a friend after he saw mine and we got all the parts off the rear doors of a crashed Bora for ?5, he just needed to colour code the caps and then he made up a couple of small discs as VW could not get the discs any more

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Benn, yes you can. That's roughly what I paid for all the stuff, incl. paint. The part numbers are kicking around, I saw them posted last week or so.

The discs are hard to get because dealers have to order a pack of 100, and most can't be bothered. Use a 5p piece instead.

Also, If you have some time to spare, fill the dummy barrel with araldite or JB Weld, and put a couple more into that. That'll slow them down.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anyone got a picture of where this disc goes? I never used a Disc with mine. Perhaps it would be better to PM me the pic as we never know whos reading the forum.

Mind you, if a tea leaf sees the delock, are they going to "have a go" and see if its got the disc, or are they going to walk to the next MKIV that hasnt got the delock?

·
Registered
464 Posts
shtu, why dont you just write a "how to break into a golf mk Iv guide". [B)]

Hence my last post regarding not publicising the ins and outs of the whole delock thing...

Not having a go, just thought it may be better to covertly discuss the topic..[:)]

Ill have a look at mine later.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Felix,

Deleted, fair point, though I said "go and look and you'll see", really.

And the theives already know - that's why they get nicked! :) Breaking into VWs and Audis has been pretty easy for the past 20+ years...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by pub_crawler on 03/02/2005 08:32:51

Even if the Drivers door has been de-locked is it still possible to get into via the boot?

Yes, but the alarm goes off because the boot lock doesn't disarm the system. The deadlocks are still armed thus preventing the doors being opened.

Take the steps mentioned by others and de-lock the driver's door. That was the weak point in an otherwise good setup. For added security I have supaglass fitted on my side windows[:D][8D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts