Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Right.....

90, 100 tdi are available in s or se spec,

110, 115, 130 and 150 are all highline spec, no ifs, no buts, they are effectively a GT TDI.

Boras and Golf estates have different trim levels in the diesels.

So ALL pd engined golfs are gt spec, cloth sports seats, a/c, 15" avus II wheels (or 16" Monti IIs for the 150) all electrics,etc as standard.

130, 150pd have 288mm front brakes.

All have colour coded rub strips and dark rear lenses.

All available 3 or 5 door.

Annis of course were different but these were ltd run 150pds with the kit, wheels, suspension n recaros etc.

Phew, thats all folks.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Theres a few of you who are absolutely right in what you have said. (recent posts) i have found all this very interesting.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
baisically he wants a diesel

i dont know his age etc but i'd recomend either the 115, 130 or 150 all depends on his situation with money and insruance etc

good luck in your find for a diesel thou

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
thanks all for the replies. I know what i'm looking at now. Insurance will cost me a bit as i have just had a crash in my clio 172, thats why i'm down grading. think i will go for a 130.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks guys its all clear now but I've changed my mind! I think I want a petrol [:cool:]

Anyone want to have a go? [:D] LOL

Having a larve!

·
Registered
372 Posts
thanks all for the replies. I know what i'm looking at now. Insurance will cost me a bit as i have just had a crash in my clio 172, thats why i'm down grading. think i will go for a 130.
Didn't think it was possible to downgrade from a Renault[;)][;)]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Didn't think it was possible to downgrade from a Renault[;)][;)]
I completely missed that!!! cheeky little comment is that. I totally agree, down grading from a renault 172 to a GT TDI 130 is a contradiction big time the cars are in a different league.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
its the little things, eg the blue dash backing lights, little red glows everywhere, the cabin as a whole, its just effortless class! and the way it is designed, the headlights are beautiful, the car has so much pressence and its a real joy owning one

1.4 or an r32 they all give a pleasing smile

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Technically there is no GT TDI this was a thing started by the dealers,A GT TDI is basically a TDi (NO matter what engine) with a highline trim,ive seen GT TDis in all engines 90 up to 150 ive also seen many TDI's with highline spec not badge as GT TDi's,also recaros were never an option in a TDi only cloth or laether sport seats like any other highline model.

It seems to have been started by UK dealers and then spread.VW offically never made a MK4 GT TDI no until that is the produced the new MKV GT tdi 170bhp model that is just out.
Right in places and wrong in others.....

The MkIV GT TDi was introduced by VW GB, not the dealers, and was detailed in catalogues and price lists as such. The dealers do not have the power to do this.
The GT TDI was initially a 1.9 110bhp Highline spec car sold in the UK with various detail differences from the German spec, such as the sports interior. The GT TDis have highline spec suspension and unless the build sticker show factory fit sports suspension it does not have GTi running gear. Even if sports suspension was fitted as a dealer option that was only a spring change. The 150 was the only one to have sports suspension as standard.

The 90 and 100 bhp cars were never sold as GT TDis.

Badges however are a completely different story and they were fitted by dealers with a wide variety of differences. That's where you get cars badged GT TDi etc.

So ALL pd engined golfs are gt spec,
All PDs above 115 - don't forget the 100 is a PD

·
Registered
346 Posts
As per the previous poster richard above, some people are confusing what the dealers did with badges as to actual car spec's. I would agree that dealers "may" have added gt badges to some gt tdi's and none to others however the dealers would not be able to just randomly name a car gt because they felt like it.

As richard above has said vw-uk decided that they would start a diesel gt thus being the gt tdi. Also as i mentioned parkers earlier in the thread they have the full spec list included here for proof that the gt wasnt just a myth made up by dealers(tbh that a rather ignorant statement) >> http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu=&model_id=1031

This quite clearly shows 90&100 came in s & se spec, 110/115/130&150 all came in gt tdi spec. However you could get a golf estate110/115/130 that was say s or se spec.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
that parker guide is totally different from anything i have heard.

says the 1.6 8v gets 35mpg and the 16v gets 39

says 115 gt-tdi has 113bhp and some have 115.

if it has 113 why call it a gt-tdi 115

·
Registered
346 Posts

That the 115 gti tdi? That does seem to be a bit of a phantom car, probs just a typo, they do happen!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

That the 115 gti tdi? That does seem to be a bit of a phantom car, probs just a typo, they do happen!
huh? what do you mean by saying phantom?

·
Registered
346 Posts
A little confusement here i think. VW made a 115 GT TDI same engine in bora etc, but parkers seem to have added an extra car, a 115 golf called GTI TDI. I have had discussions on here about it before and apparently it doesnt exist.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
oh i see.

well parkers must be wrong then, im still belive it has 115bhp and a 6speed box and 210ibs/ft suits me fine

41 - 60 of 70 Posts