Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon folks. I'm looking at buying a tdi golf but I'm getting a bit confused.

What are the differences between the: tdi, gt tdi and gti tdi? I have found that they all vary in power but what other differences are there?

Thanks

Shaw

·
Registered
414 Posts
As far as i know, theres no such thing as the gti tdi. There is the tdi 90 and tdi 100, available in s and se spec. Then there is the gt tdi 110,115,130 and 150, all which have gti spec. The tdi 90 and gt tdi 110 were both made before 2001 ( I think) so were non-PD cars, whereas the rest are all PD.

I think this is correct, but i'm sure someone will put me right if I am wrong!

Hope this helps, Oli.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
No such thing as a gti tdi and the difference between the GT TDI and the TDI is aesthetic trim.

You can have an ordinary TDI 150bhp if you want. it's nothing to do with engine size. When we were ordering a TDI 100bhp we were offered a GT TDI with the same engine.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Pump duse - From 2002 onwards the engine use direct injection as a pose to the old rail injection method.

Baz

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread. i was going to ask pretty much the same question, so rather than start a duplicate thread I'll ask here if you don't mind.

So, given that there are no mechanical differences between a GT TDI and a TDI what are the styling differences? Can you get 3 door TDIs? Do the GT TDI come with recaros or leather interior? Are these options on the standard TDI?

what else does the GT TDI offer above standard - lower suspension, 17" alloys?

sorry for all the questions; i've been googling all afternoon but can't find the info anywhere. if anyone has a web link with a comprehensive summary I would be very grateful!

thanks[:)]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
The reason why you can't find a definite answer is because there isn't one. The dealer can put together a s election of options and packages.

It really isn't anything special. Mainly seats are the recaro cloth ones, steering wheel, AC Climatronic (depends on dealer), Gearknob, dash trim. Of course you can get 3 door TDIs. Seats in the TDI is again down to you're choice of trim as there are 4 or 5 options on a standard never mind the GT TDI.

The car is on sport suspension if it's a 150bhp. Wheels can be picked from a massive list so it depends on style mainly but if you change them it's extra.

People will probably try and give you a list of stuff but on another persons car with the same badge could be a comlpetely different list of extras.

Bottom line.... Ask the dealers.

Baz

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
firstly when choosing a tdi tell us

1. your age as the gt-tdis are high insurance groups eg group 10 lowest
  2. insurance ncb due to the above
  3. price range as diesels are expensive compared to petrol cars
  4. what you look for in a car could help to eg... fast? a basic run around? economy?

gt-tdi cames in 3 and 5door where as non gt only came in 5door. gt-tdis were colour coded as by the bumper and door strips and door handles

gt-tdis have sports seats as standard and all gt tdi's were pd except the 110 model.

the gti-tdi is the 150 anni i think?

vw made a total of 7 tdi mk4's

non turbo SDI / 90bhp tdi / 100bhp tdi / 110gt-tdi / 115gt-tdi pd / 130gt-tdi pd / 150gt-tdi pd

hope some of this helps

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Technically there is no GT TDI this was a thing started by the dealers,A GT TDI is basically a TDi (NO matter what engine) with a highline trim,ive seen GT TDis in all engines 90 up to 150 ive also seen many TDI's with highline spec not badge as GT TDi's,also recaros were never an option in a TDi only cloth or laether sport seats like any other highline model.

It seems to have been started by UK dealers and then spread.VW offically never made a MK4 GT TDI no until that is the produced the new MKV GT tdi 170bhp model that is just out.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i dont get what your saying about there isnt a gt-tdi mk4?

it was never badged on the car but it is listed on vw sites and dealers adverts when advertising cars that are gt-tdi

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes like i said it was startd by the dealers as far as i know its a good sales gimmic,why have a TDI when for a few extra quid you can have a GT TDI with a highline spec.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
and they are tuned to higher power outputs
We've just spent all that time explaining that it's nothing to do with the engines. It's trim level (and not even a collection of set trim parts either). End of story.

Baz

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
No its a common mis-conception amongst non VW heads that the GT makes it faster like ive said ive seen 90BHP GT TDIs and highline PD150s not badge as GTs and theres no doubting which of these 2 is the fastest.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
ok cool, so that's all pretty clear.

if i was looking for a used Mk4 TDI then I would basically be looking at the optional extras and trim level irrespective of whether it was a GT, S or SE because they are all the same.

is it fair to say that fitting GT sport seats or recaros or something later would be relatively cheap and I should concentrate exclusively on the mechanics?

what about standard VW 17" alloys - are these combined with the standard suspension out of the factory and not dropped 30mm or anything?

buying used is a real crapshoot because I'd like half-leather sports seats, 17" alloys, slightly dropped suspension, etc, if they were available with a particular model (GT, SE, etc), but it may be just as cheap uprating these items at a later date to a base model.

thanks, and apologies for the newbie confusion..

·
Registered
414 Posts
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. If money is no object, you will definately find the car you want, but obviously if you can only just afford one, you probably won't get the extras. It shouldn't be to much to fit what you want later;

seats - ~£500

17 - £400 - £1000 (depends on model, tyres, condition etc)

30mm drop - eibach pro kit (springs only) £130

These prices will of course vary on quality, new/old etc. IMO, the main thing to look for is a nice car well within your budget with full vw service history, cambelt done, low miles etc.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
thanks, good advice.

on another note, I see that the insurance group for a GT TDI is 10 where as a TDI is 7 or 8 I think. Given that they're the same car it would make sense to buy the base model and fit the extras and still get cheap insurance!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts