Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got one of these? What's it like?

Saw one at the dealer last week. Might consider one of these if my next car is a Golf - not for at least a year though, just dreaming at the moment.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Go give it a drive and report back [:D]

My only possibly unfounded concern is the reliability of the clutch etc for engaging disengaging the supercharger.... with the luck I have had with my cars, I think it could well be a complicated engine with lots of bits to go wrong, However VW could have done a great job... cant tell yet [:$]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Go give it a drive and report back [:D]

My only possibly unfounded concern is the reliability of the clutch etc for engaging disengaging the supercharger.... with the luck I have had with my cars, I think it could well be a complicated engine with lots of bits to go wrong, However VW could have done a great job... cant tell yet [:$]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only possibly unfounded concern is the reliability of the clutch etc for engaging disengaging the supercharger....
You've got me there Chris!!!

The supercharger runs off the engine, not the clutch. I expect the clutch would be strong enough to cope with the torque as I would assume it is the same unit as used with the TSI with 170bhp.

I don't plan on having a car outwith warranty if I can so, although a pain, any probs "should" be resolved FOC.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only possibly unfounded concern is the reliability of the clutch etc for engaging disengaging the supercharger....
You've got me there Chris!!!

The supercharger runs off the engine, not the clutch. I expect the clutch would be strong enough to cope with the torque as I would assume it is the same unit as used with the TSI with 170bhp.

I don't plan on having a car outwith warranty if I can so, although a pain, any probs "should" be resolved FOC.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Apparently, there is an electromagnetic clutch that connects the supercharger to the engine, and then engages the super charger at low revs and disengages when the turbo spools up at higher revs,

Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
I drove 170bhp GT TSI there is indeed a clutch that disengage the supercharger at 3500rpm. When you drive the car you have no concept that this change happens its just smooth power delivery.
The one I drove was a DSG equipped car, very impressive turn of speed, nice sound and power all the way through the rev range. If it wasn't for the lowish urban fuel consumpution comparted to the 140 TDI it would have been a consideration. It does have good open road MPG though (according to the stats)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently, there is an electromagnetic clutch that connects the supercharger to the engine, and then engages the super charger at low revs and disengages when the turbo spools up at higher revs,

Chris
Oh, I see. That sounds like a recipe for disaster - but - I'm sure it has been well tested!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Its hardly rocker science. A WWII Spitfire Mk IX fighter (amogst many other similar aircraft) has a two-stage supercharger on its Rolls Royce Merlin 66. That has a clutch to bring the second stage in to operation above a certain altitude. VW should be able to master it on a car 60 years later.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Its hardly rocker science. A WWII Spitfire Mk IX fighter (amogst many other similar aircraft) has a two-stage supercharger on its Rolls Royce Merlin 66. That has a clutch to bring the second stage in to operation above a certain altitude. VW should be able to master it on a car 60 years later.
True enough, but they do seem to have issues with other things they probably should have mastered by now like, door seals, door alignment, dash rattles, lights that don't let in water etc etc

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, but, what was the longevity of a Spitfire? It was hardly likely to expected to last for >100k miles. Even if they did, they got a service after every sortie, not every 18k miles!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Coil Packs (mkiv)
Window Regulators (mkiv)
Mafs (mkiv)

Timing chain (mkv) - effecting quite a few MKV 1.6 FSI owners apparently
Dual Mass Fly Wheel (mkv) - effecting a few TDI owners
"owl noise" (mkv) TDI turbo failure?!?!
diamianmkv's car - Poor blokes had loads of problems, some serious some not quite as bad

Now would you trust a fancy electronic clutch with supercharger and turbo??
[:$]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes, but, what was the longevity of a Spitfire? It was hardly likely to expected to last for >100k miles. Even if they did, they got a service after every sortie, not every 18k miles!
Well Ken, the one I work on is still flying well and its sixty years old! The engine was designed to be used for 500 flying hours minimum use without major work. Today we give it a minor check after 25 hours of use (around every six months) and then a more thorough annual examination each winter. Generally they go for ten years before needing to be pulled out, stripped and re-built.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Chris
Oh, I see. That sounds like a recipe for disaster - but - I'm sure it has been well tested!
The trouble is that the manufacturers can do all the testing in the world, but when Joe public get theirs hands on them, things can and do go wrong, it seems. Look at what happens to our 'simple' cars with door sealing strips falling off and rattles appearing everywhere, apparently, and that is only mentioning the relatively unimportant and minor faults!

No, that car sounds all very nice on paper, but I'd think that I'd give it a miss if only to have a stress free life or as stress free as possible. Regular visits to my garage is not something that I care to do; I've got better things to do such as writing letters to these forums.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Ken, the one I work on is still flying well and its sixty years old! The engine was designed to be used for 500 flying hours minimum use without major work. Today we give it a minor check after 25 hours of use (around every six months) and then a more thorough annual examination each winter. Generally they go for ten years before needing to be pulled out, stripped and re-built.
Sounds like you are having some fun there Mark.

You should post some pics in the "Member's Rides" section [:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts