Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about the reversing camera that flips out of the VW emblem boot release.

Last week the reverse camera had no image on the screen. I always thought it was a bit of a gimmic, but over the years I have got very used to it working, So it had to be sorted out.

I looked on various forums and it is not unusual, some fix them selves over time, and some it was a simple case of the plug on the back of the radio was loose. Some reported broken wires to the camera.

I checked behind the radio and re-seated the main plug and the video plug. Still no image on the screen.

I removed the panel of the boot which was a very hard work!

I removed the camera assembly, which was actually VERY easy (3 screws and 3 plugs)

I discovered a little red wire had broken on the back of the camera body, and unfortunately broken right flush with the moulding.

(A new camera / emblem all-in-one assembly is £200 - £300)!

So after staring at the stump of wire, and wondering if I could cut back the plastic moulding a bit to expose more wire, I realised the plastic is not totally hard.

I got to work with a scalpel and after about 30 minutes of very careful picking, I had removed enough plastic (which was more like a very dense rubber) to expose about 5mm of red wire which I then stripped back and soldered on to the rest of the wire.

I reassembled it all and it works!!!!! So I am VERY please about that!

The hardest part by far was taking the plastic trim off the inside of the boot.

I'll add some photos when I work out how.

The camera was original VW OEM from new, and the 3 thin wires which go to the camera all had little nicks in them for no reason. It made me wonder if VW introduce nicks in the wires to initiate failure and shorten it's operating life, and force people to make extra trips to the VW dealer to get if fixed. The wires move quite some distance each time the camera flips out.

Anyway, I am pleased I fixed it, and I encourage anybody else with defective camera to check for these obvious faults.

Ian

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
48690944586_5578288d96_c.jpg

shows the back of the camera, a sort of rubber trunk which has the video cable and 3 small power and signal cables.

The red wire is detached, and broke off right at the rubber!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
48690621948_a27d563d45_c.jpg

So I got to work with a scalpel and very carefully shaved away tiny fragments of the plastic until about 5mm of red wire was visible.

Then trimmed about 2mm of insulation to expose the copper strands.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
48690807751_b16d965fdd_c.jpg

Looking good - and the reversing camera works again.

If you are going to try it, just be very patient with the cutting away of the moulding and don't risk snagging the other wires.

Take your time, I think I spend 30 minutes cutting off little pieces.

Oh and make sure you shake or blow all the plastic cuttings out because they fall in to the moving part of the camera!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I recall, mine did the blue screen when the video signal was absent.

I check behind the stereo too, and waggled all the plugs!

How did you get on?

Was it a broken wire near the camera?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh. And I'd like to add that the hardest part wasn't taking the plastic trim OUT of the boot hatch, it was putting it back in!

It took about half an hour of aligning it, smacking it, taking it out, re-align, smack again. Right bloody pain.

I think I buckled a couple of the metal clips and broke some plastic, but it;s back.

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
I fixed mine today. Its very fiddly, much better if you can unhook it all, take it to the kitchen table and take your time.

Couple of things to note: you can't tell from the pictures but the wires are tiny, think they call it small gauge or something and if its snapped off at the end (thats the weak point) it leaves you less than 5mm to work with (after you've used the scalpel to cut into the rubber block it goes in to)

I used tweezers to do the best i could at connecting/twisting the two ends of exposed wire, then i used a small soldering iron to solder them stuck. Give your soldering iron tip a rub beforehand with wire wool/soft sandpaper cos you need the tip at its best (oo-er) :D

AND..the boot needs to be shut (and badge probably in place) in order for the camera to work. I thought i'd failed but then it clicked why it wasn't working!

·
Registered
1 Posts
48690807751_b16d965fdd_c.jpg

Looking good - and the reversing camera works again.
This is about the reversing camera that flips out of the VW emblem boot release.

Last week the reverse camera had no image on the screen. I always thought it was a bit of a gimmic, but over the years I have got very used to it working, So it had to be sorted out.

I looked on various forums and it is not unusual, some fix them selves over time, and some it was a simple case of the plug on the back of the radio was loose. Some reported broken wires to the camera.

I checked behind the radio and re-seated the main plug and the video plug. Still no image on the screen.

I removed the camera assembly, which was actually VERY easy (3 screws and 3 plugs)

I discovered a little red wire had broken on the back of the camera body, and unfortunately broken right flush with the moulding.

So after staring at the stump of wire, and wondering if I could cut back the plastic moulding a bit to expose more wire, I realised the plastic is not totally hard.

I got to work with a scalpel and after about 30 minutes of very careful picking, I had removed enough plastic (which was more like a very dense rubber) to expose about 5mm of red wire which I then stripped back and soldered on to the rest of the wire.

The camera was original VW OEM from new, and the 3 thin wires which go to the camera all had little nicks in them for no reason. It made me wonder if VW introduce nicks in the wires to initiate failure and shorten it's operating life, and force people to make extra trips to the VW dealer to get if fixed. The wires move quite some distance each time the camera flips out.

Anyway, I am pleased I fixed it, and I encourage anybody else with defective camera to check for these obvious faults.

Ian
If you are going to try it, just be very patient with the cutting away of the moulding and don't risk snagging the other wires.

Take your time, I think I spend 30 minutes cutting off little pieces.

Oh and make sure you shake or blow all the plastic cuttings out because they fall in to the moving part of the camera!

Ian
Hi this is great, I have the exact same problem. Can you confirm, did you have to remove the outside vw badge part as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts