Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a TDI GT Sport Mk5 or Mk6 i have the money for the Mk6 and i do prefer the insides mainly because they all have dual zone climate control AND leather (which is very hard to find on a mk5) but they also have steering wheel audio and telephone controls.

My question is about build quality, is it better to have the last of the Mk5's or the start of the Mk6's? My understanding is that the later model you have the higher chance you have of VW ironing out any imperfections there might have been.

I currently have a 53 plate Mk4 MATCH TDI PD 100Bhp which was the last of the batch and it has been completely faultless.

Any advice or experience is most welcome. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I had an '05 plate mk5 GT TDi and the build was shocking.

I now have a mk5 '57 plate GT sport and a mk6 '59 plate GT.

The mk6 feels a lot more solid and is a better place to sit IMO. Whilst the mk5 isn't "old", it feels it in comparison.

If it was me, i'd be going for the newer model - the mk7 will probably be out next year and then the mk5 will really feel a long way behind..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your opinion, i am definately only going to look at the Mk6 now. you have confirmed my thoughts.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Glad I found this thread, i've recently been looking into the Mk5's and i'm surprised at just how 'cheap' they are.

GT TDI 140 with 120k miles, decent looking with xenons etc for £4500? This one was a 54 plate, are the prices so low because of the build quality or is it just pot luck if you get a decent one?

I'm getting a bit bored of the MK4 and thinking of a change, the Mk5 seems the way to go, but obviously not if it will just lead to problems....?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The Mk VI is indeed considerably more refined and simply a nicer place to be than the Mk.V. Its really something that you only fully appreciate once driving the newer model regularly after having come from the Mk.V (as I have recently). There are so many subtle improvements and the whole thing just feels much more 'thought out' then the Mk.V, well apart from the 12V outlets that now only work when the ignition is on (and the absence of a decent door open warning system - apart from those things its briliant!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts