Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive got a prob and im lost ! my car can be ok when cold but when warm stutters and sounds like on 3 cylinders ! changed coil pack, maf sensor and still the same ! its getting terrible miles to gallon aswell

any suggestions would be appreciated cheers neil

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi tried coil pack in all 4 positions and ran each time to no luck mate

its frustrating as ive no idea ![:(]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Faulty ignition amplifier?

Does a faulty temperature sensor cause these sort of problems too?
It did a bit on mine, J. Yep and faulty ign amp can McScrew things up too. Def check those two doing the temp sender first as it's way way cheaper than a new ign amp ! If it's the temp sender, you should notice the water temp needle fluctuating a bit ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cheers il have it looked at cos ive spent 120 quid on it and wasnt the maf or coil pack !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that the flat peice of metal with sensor on it ? if so mines not bolted on as ive an induction kit and its not oil based either which have been told messes with maf

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had it into vw earlier and was told to put standard dump valve and air filter on so i did and made no diff,its goin back in ! was apparently a fault with air mass meter although its brand new ! im sick at min as ive no clue whats prob ! tried coil pack in all 4 ports to no joy either ! it seems to be tempremental sometimes ok then bad again

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
had it into vw earlier and was told to put standard dump valve and air filter on so i did and made no diff,its goin back in ! was apparently a fault with air mass meter although its brand new ! im sick at min as ive no clue whats prob ! tried coil pack in all 4 ports to no joy either ! it seems to be tempremental sometimes ok then bad again
hahahah vw monkies

did u mention to them the ignition amplifier and or the temperature sensor too?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
hahahah vw monkies

did u mention to them the ignition amplifier and or the temperature sensor too?
Eeeeeeediots !!!!!! can't think of anything else, so put the standard stuff back in ! def sounds like ign amp or temp sensor, do the temp sensor first cos that's the cheapest bit ! Iirc, the ign amp is not too far shy of £200 ! but look online at one of those scrappies that will post stuff to ya and you may get a bargain !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had it back in to vw today and have been told its the ignition transformer ! its failed and has caused a coil pack to destroy aswell ! to make matters worse the window regulator went last nite and cost a fortune to be replaced ! glass dropped and had to be held in place with tape . oh the joys !!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
had it back in to vw today and have been told its the ignition transformer ! its failed and has caused a coil pack to destroy aswell ! to make matters worse the window regulator went last nite and cost a fortune to be replaced ! glass dropped and had to be held in place with tape . oh the joys !!!
Oh shizer it is the ign amp ! [:(]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
im unsure , is the ignition transormer the ignition amp ?

cheers neil
Well, i'm fairly certain that's what they will be referring to. As far as I know, it's actually a switch, from what i've read online, it's more like a distributor too, sends the signal to the correct coil pack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
was ignition amp and cost 98 quid from euro car parts, got window done 4 78 quid at vw however if yr cars under 6 and the window regulator goes its free at vw as is a common fault ! if older like mine blag it and theyl do a gd price on it[:D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
hhhmmmm i have an agu and mines started to do the same thing, getting it check with vag com tomorrow and hopefully it will just be temp sensor but there are some usefull pointers on here. its crud when expensive cars go wrong :eek:(

·
Registered
172 Posts
i think this is whats worng with my car, it started the toehr day and my other post is making me think its the ignition amp, did you change yours yourself nellyb? big job? wher abouts is it in the engine bay? 

1 - 20 of 61 Posts