Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

In my MK4, i have a problem with both doors that they do not unlock with FOB but always work fine with locking all doors.

It started with the driver door that sometimes it does not unlock the door with the FOB, but locks just fine.
It developed to 99% of the time not unlocking the door and locking still works.

Now the second front door started having the same problem with unlocking (70% of the time) but locking fine with the FOB.

Same problem if trying to unlock with the unlock button on the side of the driver's seat beside the mirror and winodws buttons.

The only way working is using the manual key itself. (which works for the driver's seat, but since there is no place to enter the key on the other door, my wife has to wait for 5 minutes outside the car sometimes of me trying to unlock the door (that's why i ended up not locking the car most of the time especially if we are going shopping or to a restaurant)

I have two key FOBs and both act the same, i changed the battery on both of them with no success.

One more thing, i can hear a noise when pressing the unlock button on the FOB near both doors, as the motor is trying to unlock it with no success.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,319 Posts
I think you need to do some reading on the forum or at least do a search... this is a standard problem that every mk4 owner will run into (actually all cars from that era and even some after the mk4 have this same problem)
it's the doorlock modules microswitches that probably have cracks in the mainboard or in the solder to the microswitch, or the microswtiches are dirty, solution? replace doorlock modules for new ones or open the old doorlock modules and repairif it is the solder or microswitches... if it is the mainboard that has cracked than you'll need to replace the doorlock module with a new one or a used one that doesn't have that problem...

make sure you check the part numbers on the modules if you are going to replace the lot, and get the exact same part number replacement part.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts