Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new to the forum, i've just bought my 1st car, a vw golf 1.4s (2001) i was just wondering what are your thoughts of installing an induction kit on this model golf. My friends have said that it will make the car sound better and also perform better, however I have read how the warm air is forced in rather than cold air therefore giving lower performance if anything. If any 1.4 owners have an induction kit fitted i'd be grateful if you could recommend a brand. Also comment would be appreciated for replacing the panel filter. Thanks

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate!

I dont understand how it can give lower performance. An induction kit will definitely make the car sound better and give very minimal performance gains. Im thinking of getting one soon too! [Y]

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ive got a k&n on mine and its fine. I can see what you mean about the hot air thing as it sits quite far back in the engine.

Why not buy a k&n 57i and then make a cold air feed you have plently of room in the engine bay as its only a small motor. Problems Solved :D

Alternativly if you have some money buy the k&n Tycoon kit (i think) it extends to the front of the engine + looks the dogs bollocks when on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks 4 the replies, i was planning on getting the k&n 57i anyway, got 2 pay 4 the fox wheels first tho, can get a 2nd hand set for 175 quid, and they haven't been used for more than a couple of hundred miles, they're 17inch low profiles so the tyres will be pricey tho :(, any other ecommendations for the 1.4, (appart from a bigger engine lol, i'm only 17 so the insurance starts to get pricey) i was thinking about a back box.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Tyres are not that expensive for 17" alloys.

You could go for a 4mo style Milltek backbox. Look the biz IMO! [Y] Make sure you let your insurance company know of any mods though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx 4 that i'll have a look for the exhaust. I'm from guernsey, a little island, and tyres aren't half as cheap as in the UK as we don't have any major tyre companies. Thanks anyway

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Dont know if this is true or not, but i have just been advised NOT to go for thge K&N as it is oil based.

Have been advised to either go for a pipercross or powertec.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i bit late on my behalf..........welcome to the proud bunch of use 1.4 owners. my induction kit sounds like the bees knees. i am putting bck on whatever my parents say about them....they only add alittle performace cant really notice it but if u want abit more poke for your 1.4 go to chipped uk and get it chipped it gets the bhp risen to 84bhp with better throttle resonpce i am gettin it done, not sure about insurance costs atm but will be better than it is atmWELCOME MATE...................,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,LEX

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the foum, Ive got a 1.4 aswell, also wanting an air filter but I dont know which one to get, aswell as Y15HAL, Ive also been told not to buy a k&n, & as Y15HAL also says about the milltek 4 motion look exhaust, Ive got it, it sits perfectly in the cutout of a 4 motion rear lip, have a look at the picture, BUT I can tell you that its pretty loud, which I was pretty dissapionted about, because I wanted it as silent as possible, but you may want it loud I dont know. But welcome to the forum mate, glad there are a few 1.4s about, Lex is another one, by the way Lex, what filter did you put on? Hope an air filter wont make it tooooo loud with the exhaust on lol. [Y]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i got the k&n induction kit 57i or summin from awsome gti for £69 quid it sounds nice and loud when reved and will probly add abit of sound to your car but for a few more bhp i dont complane but the naighbours have a few times lol...how much was your 4mo exhaust? and where did u get it from and the same with the rear valance? im after it c u around sham

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Ive got a bad feeling that it'll sound really loud. But my milltek does sound awesome in high revs, like a mini ferrari lol. Ive been told not to buy a k&n, so I might get a ramair induction kit. I bought the rear lip from ebay, you'll find them once in a while, bout for £36 i think, bargain. The exhaust.. set me back £375 I think [+o(]. It wouldve been around the 350 mark, but the valance was a pain to fit so they charged me extra labour, but you've gotta pay for quality lol. I bought it from puma motorsport in wakefield, dont know where staffordshire is, but it seems far, go the milltek site & you can find the your local dealer. Cheers mate

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You can get the rear 4mo valance from the stealers for around £37! You'd be better off getting it from them!
Really? I thought I got myself a bargain, didnt think it'd be that reasonable at the stealers. So mate, we've both been advised not to buy k&n, what would you get, cos Im not too sure, powertec are new to the game, & that pipercross viper induction kit looks good, but is it worth a few bhp for £230+? Was thinking of getting a ramair induction kit, what do u think? Cheers mate

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm worried lol,

Ive got a K&N on mine at the minute so can you tell me why you have been advised not to get it? Also what other options are available?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think the problem with K&N is that the oil used on the filter can affect the MAF, therefore reducing your performance. I recon that you are just as well getting a pannel filter compared to an induction kit as surgested by Satnam.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Was not told to get the K&N by BBT! They suggested to either get the pipercross (around £88) or the powertec (around £95).

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Dont know if this is true or not, but i have just been advised NOT to go for thge K&N as it is oil based.
That old chestnut again... I've had K&N panel filter then Typhoon on my car for the last 2 years no problem. In fact I had more problems with air mass sensors and stuff when the car was stock! Two MAP sensors under warranty and that was running the factory paper filter! They may be oil based but it's not like the oil comes dripping/flying off otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer million mile warranties on the things.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
That old chestnut again... I've had K&N panel filter then Typhoon on my car for the last 2 years no problem. In fact I had more problems with air mass sensors and stuff when the car was stock! Two MAP sensors under warranty and that was running the factory paper filter! They may be oil based but it's not like the oil comes dripping/flying off otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer million mile warranties on the things.
Decisions, decisions...........![:^)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts