Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,my gt tdi 150 has started to run very bad,a knocking comes into very bad and sounds mechanical,the thing is it comes into it so bad i pull over,but disappears as quick as it comes in,sometimes it lasted a few days then went again,ive had it to 2 garages,the first did the flywheel and clutch which made no differance,cost 1200 euro,I've had on VW machine twice and it showed up no errors,the car's a 02 and is now parked until i find out more,the injectors show up fine on VW machine also,

·
Registered
437 Posts
we have just had our car back from the garage which also is a 150 pd 2002

tappets were gone on cylinder 3 even if your warranty is out vw will cover your car till 93000 miles and you only pay half

the dealer has told us they have had a few in now so realy speeking should be done for nothing should have a recall on them i recon but there you go our car had similar symtons as you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Folks

I have exactly the same symptoms as descrived above, can anyone shed any more light on the area? Has anyone else had these problems?

I have a bad rattling noise, usually on startup but not always, either when hot or cold. It goes away after a couple of minutes. My initial reaction was valves / tapits as it sounds to be coming from the top end. My dad suggested it could be the injectors. It has been happening for the past few weeks and I have driven a few thousand miles in this time and the car is fine when not rattling.

The oil level is fine, its good quality oil about 6k old and there are no warning lights.

I have phoned some dealers and diesel engineers and they all say the same.......'bring it in and we will see what faults are showing' I know there are no faults. I need a real mechanic and not somone who can only use a diagnostic machine.

Can anyone help?

Rich

·
Registered
262 Posts
we have just had our car back from the garage which also is a 150 pd 2002

tappets were gone on cylinder 3 even if your warranty is out vw will cover your car till 93000 miles and you only pay half

the dealer has told us they have had a few in now so realy speeking should be done for nothing should have a recall on them i recon but there you go our car had similar symtons as you
Do you have any reference numbers for this? I'm having problems with my car at the minute which point towards tappet failure. If it's covered up to 93K I'll get VW to stump up the cash!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is it dropping oil?

I ask because mine went in with an oil leak and it turned out that the bottom end was knocking and suffering from crank walk!!! It to had a knocking noise that i thought was just cold diesel knock, turns out i was wrong and its now having major surgery

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This doesn't sound good!!

What kind of milages are you on? What kind of history do the cars have? Using non PD oil will cause wear on the injector cams for sure. But you guys are saying its the tappet cams.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The car is on 69K with full VW service history up to 50K, and serviced at Midland VW at 60K inc timing belt etc. 70K service due soon. It does have a slight oil-leak that appears to be coming from the FMIC hosing on the drivers side. THis will be looked at during the next service.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Midland VW had a look today and they suspect the worst. Sounds like there is a problem with the crankshaft. It's going in on Thursday night and they will drop the oil and check for any debris, if none found they will check the camshaft etc. Best case it could be an injector.

Fingers crossed for me lads!! I'll keep this up to date.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi there<o:p></o:p>

Yes, please keep us up to date. Sounds like i have the same problem
whatever it may be. As I said above, I initial thoughts were injector /
cam / tappets but I have heard similar noises on other cars when a big end is
going.....eeek.<o:p></o:p>

My car has done 60k and it has been serviced every 10k with long life oil religiously,
sometimes more often if I have a free afternoon. It has spent its life on
the motorway. I was starting to wonder if it could be the long life oil that
was causing the problem, its very very thin (0w30 i think). I changed the
oil and filter on Sunday and used the standard PD diesel oil which is
thicker. Will see how it goes.

<o:p></o:p>

r <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
hi there<o:p></o:p>

Yes, please keep us up to date. Sounds like i have the same problem
whatever it may be. As I said above, I initial thoughts were injector /
cam / tappets but I have heard similar noises on other cars when a big end is
going.....eeek.<o:p></o:p>

My car has done 60k and it has been serviced every 10k with long life oil religiously,
sometimes more often if I have a free afternoon. It has spent its life on
the motorway. I was starting to wonder if it could be the long life oil that
was causing the problem, its very very thin (0w30 i think). I changed the
oil and filter on Sunday and used the standard PD diesel oil which is
thicker. Will see how it goes.

<o:p></o:p>

r <o:p></o:p>
Longlife every 10K sounds like the best possible protection!! The PD system is a collaboration between Bosch VAG and Castrol. I wonder if the first generation of PD engines were fixed service only??

My view on PD has changed recently. Yes it does offer better efficiency but there is a lot of risk with the extra stress the cam belt is under. True a PD belt is wider than a non PD but its driving the cams, injectors and water pump. Think about that next time you rev it to 4K[:|]

VW has recently added a time limit to the belt changes - presumably to failures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi there,

I had similar problem with my golf.Car sounded different on idle and seemed like a mis fire when the revs increased to over 2k.

I eventually took of the rocker cover and noticed that one of the camshaft lobes that drive the injector was scored.

After closer inspection I also saw that another lobe was significantly worn as well.What had happened was the follower had worn right thru' and because of this it started wearing the injector lobe away.

There has been rumours of a bad batch of followers mentioned on other forums.

I got a mates dad to replace the camshaft,belt,water pump,oil and filters for just under ?700 as car had no history when I bought it,and vw were not interested as I could not verify mileage,though was only showing 64k when this happened.

HTH Kev

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It's starting to look like a bad batch coming from the factory and it seems it's affecting 2002 cars. Mine is a 2003 and now has 155k on the clock and all is perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Longlife every 10K sounds like the best possible protection!! The PD system is a collaboration between Bosch VAG and Castrol. I wonder if the first generation of PD engines were fixed service only??"
Mine is definitly set up for variable as the engine has the oil quality sensors, although being 2002 it must have been one of the first.

"I eventually took of the rocker cover and noticed that one of the camshaft lobes that drive the injector was scored.

After closer inspection I also saw that another lobe was significantly worn as well.What had happened was the follower had worn right thru' and because of this it started wearing the injector lobe away."
So let me get this right, do you mean the injector(s?) are driven by the camshaft? How does this actually work, is the camshaft being used to drive a pump or the injector itself? I understand unit injector part which I thought meant each injector had its own 'pump' If thats the case, is there no pump driven by the belt itself?

Thanks.

might take the rocker cover off and inspect.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So let me get this right, do you mean the injector(s?) are driven by the camshaft? How does this actually work, is the camshaft being used to drive a pump or the injector itself? I understand unit injector part which I thought meant each injector had its own 'pump' If thats the case, is there no pump driven by the belt itself?
The camshaft pushes the valves as on a regular engine. In a PD engine another set of lobes pushes the injectors - thats where the Pump Duse (unit injector name comes from). So each cylinder has its own unit injector. I'm guessing that the fuel rail pressure is adjusted by the ecu (reading the throttle position) - though I don't actually know that bit.

The PD oil is special in that it wont shear (in theory) under the big pressures of the unit injector and the cam lobes that push it.

I used to have a word doc detailing this but I can't find it at the mo. This is really bad news about worn top ends on PD's[:'(]

·
Registered
148 Posts
hi, ive had my golf tdi150 for about a year now. fvwsh 1 owner etc etc

my mother also owns an anniversary. both 2002 models, my sister a 2002 130. (irrelevant)

i had a remap 189bhp and the turbo went within a few days.

i had it replaced at big cost but cheaper than normal. ive had the car running since for a while but i can hear a kind of knocking / rattling noise from where i cannot identify, either top or bottom end. i seem to think it sounds bottom.

when the turbo blew she did run dry of oil as i drove it about a mile home and she sucked all the oil through and puffed it in smoke and dripped out of exhaust

if i leave the car idle it has the usual loud vag diesel engine - like a transit van.ha

if i rev her and leave off the throttle i can hear wot seems like a slight bottom end rattle or tappet rattle.........it really bothers me and i drive her tidily because of

my mates jus say its diesel knock but as far as im concerned injected diesels dont have diesel knock?? i believe something is wrong......but i have driven her like this for a good 3000miles.

reading the above posts ruins me as mine has just turned 94k.

does anyone have any suggestions please?

many thanks....jordan

·
Registered
148 Posts
no it remains.......i suspect what was mentioned earlier with the top end rattle,

has anyone taken the rocker cover off to identify this? what do i look for exactly? thank you

·
Registered
352 Posts
HI freakytate,

When you remove the rocker cover have a close look at all the lobes on the camshaft

.On mine we first noticed that the lobe that drives or pumps the furthest injector from the timing belt had a groove in it.The injectors are at the front side of the camshaft only 4 of them.

You can turn the cam by putting a spanner on the nut that holds the top pulley on,but you will need to remove top part of timing belt cover.This would allow you to inspect all the lobes.

If one of the injector lobes is worn one of the followers will almost certainly be worn thru,as was mine.

I replaced the worn follower with a good one from my mates that had the same problem until I sourced all the new parts.

HTH cheers Kev

1 - 19 of 19 Posts