Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Who is your garage? Don't wanna be rude but it sounds like they have replaced everything and anything. If it were me I'd try an get it diagnosed in a VW garage or with vag-com and some searching and decide then how/who is to fix it. It would surly have cost less than just replacing everything. Also have the garage used proper vdub sensors as i have had more problems with cheap new sensors than old grubby vw ones.

When i had a cracked head (AJM) and i took the head off i also saw bad scoring in the piston holes (sorry not very technical of me) and decided that whilst it was chucking out smoke yet it would be soon so changed the engine. I don't know if the crack in the head leaks down and causes the damage or whether it was coincidental. Were you able to see the state of them on your? I think you would now be burning oil and having to top up if this was the case?

Just a thought. Where are you by the way?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you have the head pressure tested?

I'm really no expert, the presence of oil in the intercooler pipes is normal. Lots of it is not normal and is often the turbo related. The fact you have changed it (do you trust the replacement?) and the smoke was there before and after the turbo change makes me more suspicious of the head.

Why was the rebuild done?

On my sisters citreon diesil the smoke and bad starting was due to air getting into the fuel on its way to the injectors and on the rubber pipes interconnecting the injectors together. You could check the conections to and from the fuel filter and to the rails that run allong the front and maybe get jubillee clips to replace the crappy spring clips. Thats cheap to try.

I think you should put a shout out to vag-com users in your area who are on the forum and swap some beers for a scan. Or authuorise your local VW to do 1/2 and hour or an hours diagnostics and see what pops up. As i remember audi charged me £38 all in for half an hours dianosing.

By the way just to be clear, I wasn't sugesting that you should have used VW to fix the car just diagnose the issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.