Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
well I think we all thought the GTi at 200bhp was a bit underpowered from the off, and the release of newer cars such as the Astra VXR and now this Focus which have a bit more about them is proving that idea true.

leaves the stage set for the VW to introduce the new shape .:R type Golf for about 18 months time or so, imo

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by The Walrus on 16/02/2005 11:56:49

Not bad what are those things on the corner of the back bumper ???

Reverse and fog light I reckon, just chrome trimmed by the looks of it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's still a ford though and it's ugly. Like Vauxhall have done with the Astra VXR, Ford have made the range topper uglier than the standard car IMO.

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Nutter colour!!

Cripes a 2.5 TURBO hatch for 18k, and with focus reknowned handling........??

I bet the tuners will get that thing REALLY flying. Gotta be good for 280hp potential hasn't it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
the engine is from a Volvo and there is talk of using that clever Volvo 4wd system thats shifts the power around to try and get all the horses through the wheels.

Big feature on it in this weeks Autocar

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oh yeah, in it's early development stage so far the new ST it is already lapping the 'ring 3 seconds quicker than the Focus RS did.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by businessboy on 16/02/2005 12:57:04

might be a bit cheaper - but what about residuals!!

2.5 unit and only that amount of bhp - thas not good!

Unfortunately the residuals for the GTI aren't as good as you might think. Check out Topgear mag this month, reviewed against BMW 1 series and Subaru, had the worst residuals out of the three; not surprising against a BMW but a Subaru?

This is backed up by the residual value on my finance agreement, not that great - 40% after 3 years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I doubt VW will change their pricing of the GTI. It seems to be selling very well and is getting great reviews, winning group tests (even where expense is considered as a factor) and appears to have been well received almost universally. Depreciation will hit the GTI but a nice example will sell very quickly and I dont see many private sellers letting go that cheaply. It will come to supply and demand - there will be a fair number of GTIs about but I'm sure the demand will still be pretty high. Now, when the mark 6 is announced...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I quite like the look of these, not that far from an A3 in my opinion.

The build quality and residuals are not going to be great, but with 217bhp from the focus and the vauxhall VXR putting out almost 240, and both being turbo lumps they could be serious contenders for the sports hatch market. These things with a remap and other upgrades could be very swift machines indeed possibly pushing for 300BHP.

Again though the build quality, and what always appears to be Ford & Vauxhalls love of plastic factories will let these cars down.

T

·
Registered
464 Posts
What about the Vauxhall Astra VXR - pushing an aproximate 237BHP from a 2.0 turbo - that could be a very serious contender.

Posted Image

·
Registered
208 Posts
What about the Vauxhall Astra VXR - pushing an aproximate 237BHP from a 2.0 turbo - that could be a very serious contender.

How much power can go through the front wheels?

Red gixer

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Quote: posted by Red Gixer on 16/02/2005 21:19:22

How much power can go through the front wheels?

Red gixer

A fair bit more than 237hp!

Modern hatches are so big and heavy that the old rule of thumb for performance cars being 250hp max to the front axle is not as valid anymore. And with traction control and esp etc, there is further scope for more ponies too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hope the GTI can handle the 240-50 once it is chipped (eventually). I think I'll drive it till the warranty expires, chip it (+/- miltek exhaust) and should last me a couple more years (maybe). Screw depreciation, run them into the ground!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 16/02/2005 20:44:01

I quite like the look of these, not that far from an A3 in my opinion.

The build quality and residuals are not going to be great, but with 217bhp from the focus and the vauxhall VXR putting out almost 240, and both being turbo lumps they could be serious contenders for the sports hatch market. These things with a remap and other upgrades could be very swift machines indeed possibly pushing for 300BHP.

Again though the build quality, and what always appears to be Ford & Vauxhalls love of plastic factories will let these cars down.

T

ford`s build quality has moved up a notch with the new focus,well it`s not gonna be difficult to beat the mk5 build quality is it [:I]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts