Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mk4 1.6. I have been saving up for a long time to purchase a much faster machine :). I'm tempted by either the Golf GTI 180 anniversary edition, R32 and the the Audi S3 (225).

I would really like the R32, but running it I think will be rather expensive. Out of the GTI 180 and S3 which has the better handling and overall performance? I'm going to test drive them eventually, but any feedback about the models would be great.

Gareth (Newbee :-s)

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,

i would have to say the s3 because of the handling and its easy to get more power!would of liked to get one my self .but at the time it was to much money so had to go for the 4moton.with just a chip on the s3 it would eat the r32.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, forget the GTi, as compared to the other 2 it's like chalk & cheese. For a start it ain't 4wd - the other 2 are.

So then the choice is either Turbo or N/A. A pukka S3(225) will cost the same as an R32, but if you shop around, you'll probably get a decent S3(225) for ?14-15k easily.

Another twist, is that this brings you into TT land, a decent 225bhp TT can be had for the same price as a pukka S3 - but the S3 is certainly more exclusive and is a rare sight.

And yet another twist, is the NEW Audi A3 3.2 Quattrro, which you can pick up for around ?18-19k (R32 price) from Audi dealers.

It's a can of bloody worms.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Steve-B! So true regarding your comments but I'm surprised you didn't pitch the excellent engine you are running! I rate PD TDI's quite a bit and it's nice to own a car that I can drive hard but not have to loose huge amounts of ?? from the wallet from doing it.

Once you have the funds together, definitely get test driving everything that you have the budget for because you wouldn't want to feel like you've missed out on anything once you've paid up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was in exactly the same situation 3 months ago, after narrowing it
down to either an S3 or the 25th Anniversary GTi.. I went for the Golf.
It worked out slightly cheaper than an S3 (not by much, but meant more
money for mods), Your getting a newer car with the Anni, the interiror
is better, much fresher look, limited edition car, gets attention. I am
a diehard VW fan yes, but I still dig Audi, Its a tough one.. take at
least 2 different s3's and Anni's out for a drive and make your mind up
that way.

Are you planning on modifying either car?

The Anni could benefit from coilovers + ARBS and a remap

The s3 will benefit from a reamp due to it's weight, coilovers also

Insurance for me was almost exactly the same on both cars..an r32 would've been ?200 more

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm not biased or anything but the S3 is definitely an awesome and refined car! Especially with a remap and coilovers [:)]

·
Registered
646 Posts
I love the S3 a works colleague has one and when he took me for a ride it was beautiful so smooth had an expensive feel about it, cracking quality, excellent power delivery cracker of a car....I loved the leather shaped recaro's.

For Over all feel and quality from the VAG group of cars I have been in I would say

Audi S3

VW Golf GTI Anniversary

Seat Leon Cupra R

Skoda Octavia RS

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not biased or anything but the S3 is definitely an awesome and refined car! Especially with a remap and coilovers [:)]
No bias here either, in my opinion, the S3 is the mutts nutts with or without coilovers![:p][:D]

You'd get one of the very last 2003 cars for about ?15k privately.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No bias here either, in my opinion, the S3 is the mutts nutts with or without coilovers![:p][:D]

You'd get one of the very last 2003 cars for about ?15k privately.
Depends on what his budget is? 15K.. that's r32 territory

Go for the R, you only live once [;)]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Actually now you mention it if you bring the Golf R32 in to the Equation although I have never experienced one I do love the look and sound! I'd probably choose an R32 over an S3

·
Registered
906 Posts
If it was my choice i would go either S3 or R32.

S3 don't really see many and has the more powerful 1.8t. Yes it has 4wd but isn't the mk3 golf used for its base?

R32 the engine noise and again you don't see many on the road.

I would go R32 just ahead of the S3.

Enjoy your test drives mate!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
S3 don't really see many and has the more powerful 1.8t. Yes it has 4wd but isn't the mk3 golf used for its base?
The S3 has EXACTLY the same floor pan and drivetrain/suspension layout
as the R32. The only difference being shockers, spring rates and
anti-roll bar thickness.

In fact, the design is based upon the classic Mk2 Golf floorpan.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The S3 has EXACTLY the same floor pan and drivetrain/suspension layout as the R32. The only difference being shockers, spring rates and anti-roll bar thickness.

In fact, the design is based upon the classic Mk2 Golf floorpan.
Cheers for correcting me Stewart.

Only choice he has to make is V6 sound track or 1.8T sound track

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Only choice he has to make is V6 sound track or 1.8T sound track
And the fuel consumption [:)]

I would love an R32, also the S3 is a little less noticeable than the 32 so perhaps not as attractive or noticeable to thieves.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
thats a hard one , i mean love the r32 the noise ,looks, performance and its just got an attitude about it , but ive always had a soft spot for the s3 in fact would have bought one, only i needed 5 doors so went for 4 motion , whatever you choose mate youur gonna end up with a crackin car no doubt about it

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not a fair comparison really but a good choice of cars; the purchase cost will vary quite a bit. You should find a decent Anniversary for ?11-12K on a 52 plate with @30-40K. An R32 would be @?15-16K. I would guess that you're looking at anything from ?11 to 16K for an S3 depending on age & mileage. I would go for an Anniversary as it's the cheapest(considering age/mileage) and it's a limited edition. Coming from a 1.6; I think you'll find an R32 very expensive to run. If you want 6cyl; I would consider a V6 4-motion; they are a relative bargain and almost as quick; only the suspension needs sorting if you're going to drive it hard.   

1 - 20 of 20 Posts