Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see this

It was putting out something like 178bhp on standard supermarket fuel and 184 on optimax.

I thought the mk5 was supposed to be 197 bhp??

Anyone had there standard gti rolling roaded, could it be there was something wrong with the fifth gear car?

This would worry me if I owned a standard Gti

Just wondered what you lot thought of this, expected there to be a post on it already but nope so here goes.

Its repeated at midnight tonight for anyone who didnt see it

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes that's right. Rolling roads fudge an "at the flywheel" figure by measuring the resistance on over run, which roughly equates to the transmission losses. This is added to the "at the wheels" figure to give an engine, or flywheel bhp.

The device on 5th Gear couldn't do that and was just measuring power at the wheels. Should have been made clear, but the gay presenter prob didn't realise.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
After covering Belfast to Dublin in the middle of the day in under an hour and a half yesterday I can assure you the GTI is not less than the quoted 197 !!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appologies I meant all readings are taken at the flywheel, both at rolling roads and manufacturers figures.

Which still means it was running 20 bhp down!!!

This interested me as when Evo magazine tested the new R32 they found
it also to be about 20 brake down on the manufacturers figures!!

Have VW been a bit enthusiastic on there figures for the mkV range?

Anyone actualy had there standard one on a RR?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
But what they had in last night's programme wasn't a rolling road, and made no attempt to estimate losses. The figure quoted was as measured at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Appologies I meant all readings are taken at the flywheel, both at rolling roads and manufacturers figures.

Which still means it was running 20 bhp down!!!

This interested me as when Evo magazine tested the new R32 they found it also to be about 20 brake down on the manufacturers figures!!

Have VW been a bit enthusiastic on there figures for the mkV range?

Anyone actualy had there standard one on a RR?
I don't think it's just VW, most manufacturers fettle the numbers. It's funny that in UK and Europe BHP sells cars, but in the states there only intersted in Torque, which for me is the important numbers in real world driving.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts