Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I suppose most of you will snub my post due to my last one in this section but for those of you who dont i have a question.

Im considering getting a mk1 golf gti something totally standard and i intend to keep it that way using simply for a bit fun on weekends. What is the driving experience of these compared to the modern day golf ? Are they fun cars to drive ?

Cheers

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had a MK1 GTI before my R32. A great, no scrub that, a fantastic car to drive! Very nimble and quick!

You have to remember that the MK1 GTI started the whole 'hot-hatch' thing off! Trouble is, as they are 22 years old at their youngest the brakes, steering, suspension is not what you will be used to driving a modern car. The brakes especially! Sponges come to mind.

You'll be hard pushed to find a good condition un-modified MK1 nowadays although there are some out there if you wait and look enough.

I'm tempted to sell the R32 and get a daily runner (some kind of diesel I guess that doesn't cost the earth) and then get another MK1 GTI to play with at weekends!

Jeffers

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Used to have a MK1 Scirroco with the same mechanics. That was a great fun car, but it's 18 years since I drove it so I would probably have different views on it now. The MK1s were quick but not by todays standard but with a lovely exhaust note and a growl when you changed gear... oh happy days![:)]

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one for ages - want to keep it in my nannas empty garage and slowly but surely over the years do it up to its former glory.

Just need the cash to buy one first!

Seen a few on ebay - the cabbies are cool and go for around a grand - loads will come out on ebay when summer starts - but the prices go up then!

I seen a tremendous example a few months back - it only had 2 front recaro bucket seats was fully re-sprayed burnt orange and had some old skool 'Ronal' polished rims

One of the old blokes at work had his sons 'project car' in for a couple of weeks - it was a black mrk1 GTi with big throttle bodies on etc. - it looked and sounded the part - and went like a rocket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ah anyway Baz price won't be an issue for you cos you can just steal one [:D]

The orange one I seen was in B&Q car park at Scotswood - get yourself down there and see if it's an employees - if it is wait until they're working late and its dark then brick the window and it's yours [B)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
A bit crude by modern standards and many are showing signs of age now, but a good one is fun, no doubt.

1.8 better than 1.6.

You buyin one Baz, or nickin it!! LOL- couldn't resist!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 04/03/2005 10:35:35

A bit crude by modern standards and many are showing signs of age now, but a good one is fun, no doubt.

1.8 better than 1.6.

You buyin one Baz, or nickin it!! LOL- couldn't resist!

Hey stop stealing my crack - you patter thief! You're no better than a common criminal.

I'm phoning the law.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly tho i have around 3 grand to buy one and restore u guys think i got enough mooola ! Before anyone asks the money was obtained legally and not from my underground ariel and nut smuggling business

·
Registered
326 Posts
?3000 should be enough to buy a good example, but you wont really know how much you'll need to spend until you find one you want to buy!

Make sense?

Jeffers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote: posted by Bazrazmataz on 04/03/2005 10:58:07

Honestly tho i have around 3 grand to buy one and restore u guys think i got enough mooola ! Before anyone asks the money was obtained legally and not from my underground ariel and nut smuggling business

CLASS!

Aye you should have enough dollars there I reckon - you NEED some of them Ronal turbo wheels I seen - and then a 1.8t lump horse-shoed in should do the trick!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Used to own one, Best car ever made, great fun. They are the reason why I'm selling my mk4 so I can get another one (or two!). Check out WagenWheels.co.uk they have some nice ones

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote: posted by toad on 04/03/2005 11:27:51

Used to own one, Best car ever made, great fun. They are the reason why I'm selling my mk4 so I can get another one (or two!). Check out WagenWheels.co.uk they have some nice ones

i started driving a mk1 1.6 when i passed my test and it was a bit more fun than the 1.8 i have. mainly because it's just so revvy and so fun. the 1.8 has more power and you can feel that and is excellent.

if you want one the campaigns (most A-regs) are the special editions and will cost more, but 1.8s were produced since 82 i think. get a big rear light cluster version as the bodyproofing is better than early models.

it will cost you about 3 grand to get a good car and fix any problems on it.

my mk1 has done 70000 miles and is still in excellent original condition but it took me years to find it, look long enough and at enough mk1s and you'll find a nice one which you'l really enjoy.

A

·
Registered
521 Posts
trouble is now they are getting old, and even if you get one that has been looked after, you will still have to throw some money at it.

Tin-worm is now the problem, even on the last of the Mk1's (not cabby), and this is on the arches under the arch extensions, as well as on the sills, and around the rear windows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts