·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

i am hopefully buying a golf gti 2 litre version in the coming few days

been offered it from a family friend at a very good price

thing is, its been stood for 2 years in a dry garage, never been started etc

is there anything i should do to it as soon as i get it?

would appreciate any comments on this

sean

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
before starting i'll change the oil and filter, drain the fuel from tank and give the bottom of the tank a good clean! or basically get it in for a service!

can i ask! who could resist driving a mk4 for 2year

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think a mechanic has done that today

the bloke im getting it from is a bit erm, not all there i dont think haha

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
whats the milage? price etc? service history? get it rac inspected! ?124 and they usually find faults which cost over ?200 to rectify! then u could get the price knocked down

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 owner from new

5 years old

used for 3 years fully stamped up till then and then nothing for 2 years

?5k, 25k miles, one driver, used it at weekends, nothing else has been in the car!

dont think there are any faults, mechanic said its fine

will get all the fluids changed as soon as i get it i think

needs tax n mot :)

cheap car :)

insurance is ?1500, 19 years old, no NCB mum n dad on policy under MY name :) with admiral. with business class 1 use and 8k miles a year

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Tricky one,

Fully service it,

Has the car been stored up on stands? if not then you may require 4 new tyres, as you can imagine the shape they mold after 2 years.

Before running it check the timing belt.

Id strip the brakes, clean and free them off, grease up etc....

Just take it easy and wear it in well. We need to see pictures also [:p]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
sounds good buy! and insurance is good 2!!! ok its not a speedy car and not worthy of the gti badge but im sure its a smooth ride and perfect motorway cruiser

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the comments guys

only wanted a nice smooth cruiser, not needing the power at the moment, plus insurance is mad on a turbo one haha

regarding the tyres, i will check em out for tyre wall damage etc

gonna get it stright into a garage as soon as it gets here

not exchanging cash on the car until my mechanic has carried out extensive checks service and mot on it :)

as its a friend of the family, theres no issue with him doing a runner with my money

should still be a good buy even if i have to shell out for brakes etc :)

he has changed the oil and filter and is driving it 35 mile to me on thursday :)

also, cambelt has been checked over and i had confirmation by phone off a local mechanic that if its been stored dry and not wet then the cambelt will be fine :)

by the way what mileage does this normally need changing at?

sean

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
vw recomend 60k then check every 20k after that! knowing vw they will change at 60k just to give u a ?600 + service+cam belt change!

im asuming the tyres could be dangerous!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it booked in with my local garage for MOT and a good check over - another oil change to premium stuff and a new filter

along with anything else fluid wise he thinks needs renewing

said there should be much to worry about

regarding the tyres, i dont know the condition yet, but if they are fudged, what size are 16" gti tyres normally?

so i can get an idea on cost for 4

wont be getting new alloys for about 6 months yet, need to get some cash together first and then i will sort the car :) to the spec i want

thanks for the info on cambelt

sean

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
good luck with the car then mate! get sum pics up soon yeah! btw tyres go on kwik fit and u can type in the sizes and come up with prices for different brands! get cheap ones if your planning on alloys soon

btw what alloys u after then?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
only getting it tomorow now

if it does need tyres i wont skimp on them and i will probably get decent tyres as i may be on them for a good few months and i will be doing a fair few miles

cheers again for the input guys

massively appreciated

sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was stood for a couple of years and used very occasionally (was my bosses and can only remember him using it once in the 2 years I've been here) Mine looked good, but upon use found the tyres, although looking ok, had gone off, and offered no or little grip and its first outing towing tread was removed in large chunks!
Before I used it I had all fluids replaced and brakes checked etc, as you'll probably find as I have it'll be through use that things go, mine was the radiator and water pump, and the bushes have dried up and need replacing, all went started playing up within a few days.
I've now done 10k in 4 months and had no other bother (touch wood!)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
regarding the tyres, i dont know the condition yet, but if they are fudged, what size are 16" gti tyres normally?
Sounds a good purchase. The 2.0 has 15" wheels as standard, the Avus II alloys. As a guide, I just got two P6000 16" tyres fitted on my Bora and they were ?65 each inc VAT, that was at a local tyre fitters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hopefully nothing like the pump etc has buggered

car is on 27k miles, and has the 15" wheels :)

just means cheaper tyres to teh 16s or whatever othersize they come in

very pleased with it

tyres seem ok, but will have the fitter check them out tomorow

1 tyre is balding on the outer edge, so will be replaced, and the tracking re done, is this right? outer edge is a tracking fault?

will get a part worn for now

only going to do about 200 miles till i go on hols, upon return i will get 4 brand new tyres fitted so i know they are ok

absoloutly immaculate in n out, still smells new

so chuffed i have got it, not drove it yet as no mot or tax and i want to get the car checked over and oil dropped etc

sorting that on monday :)

cant wait to drive it!

will get pics up tomorow when i was it, if its dry!

sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts