Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My parents have got a 2007 Golf mk5 GT TDI the other week. 140bhp version. Absolutely brill car, but they are having problems with it.

If cruising on a motorway 70mph, and you goto overtake, 6th gear, gentley apply the power the engine drops into what seems like a limp mode. The car then struggles to pickup speed. Although what we have noticed is if you switch the ingition off and on again while driving, the car will then drive as normal until the next time it drops off.

We had this problem on a previous car (Passat 1.9TDI 130bhp) and it turned out that a couple of the vacuum pipes had worn through. We have looked at all the pipes that are visable on the Golf but are unable to see any worn vacuum pipes. We have tried disconnecting the MAF to see if it made any difference but the problem still happens.

My vagcom cable doesn't appear to be working no more, so I am unable to scan the car for any faults. Might have to purchase another one unless someone local can scan it. (Washington, Tyne & Wear).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like VNT problems.
Have a search- there's loads on info on here about sooted up VNT mechanisms causing limp mode while cruising on the m'way

·
Registered
209 Posts
A good cable to do quick checks would be from Gendan ELM327 - cost about 40 quid but usefull if you want to check for a few faults or clear them. As to the problem you have do you have any lights on the dash eml light ? Sounds like a sensor problem, could be anything tps sensor ? best check vagcom first. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts