Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my car for about 3 months now and its been perfect. I waz driving home from work today and realised it haz lost power. When i put my foot down to the floor it feels like he turbo is not giving the full power it shud. There is also vibrating wich you can feel through the pedal. Could it be somthing like the fuel filter blocked. I dont know much about cars so would apriciate the help. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Sounds like your MAF is either on it's way out or your being put into limp mode.

Do a search on both on here, plenty of info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the car in re performanc garage in bury today. The mechanic phoned me before and said the car isnt running on 4 cylinders.I dont know what could be the cause of that? Got to wait until tomorrow to find out the full extent ov the prob. I  phoned up vw aswell and they said the car haz just run out ov warranty at the end ov oct. GUTTED!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Be careful, could be costly and maybe for work that doesn't need doing.

I'd say if it were running only on 3 you'd notice a much bigger loss in power than you describe above.

I have trouble believing that diagnosis from what you've said above in your first post.

Ask the garage what fault codes they have pulled from the car ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man from the garage phoned me. He said that he has checked the top end and cannot find the problem. He wreckens that he would need to strip the engine down to find the problem. He thinks that it could be a piston. I got the car back and he charged me for the work that he done. The car is an 02 plate and its only got 43000 on the clock with full service. I have just took the car to the vw dealers and they are gonna do a diognostic on it. The charge for that is about 70 + vat. That will be nearly 150 and im still noware near finding out wat is the problem. the best part about it is the car is 3 wks out ov warranty. JOKE!

·
Registered
445 Posts
How much did he charge you for that?

If it was running on 3 cylinders cos of a knackered injector then fair
enough, but saying its because a piston is knackered is ridiculous!
You'd have much more trouble with the car if it did.

Thats 70 +vat is even more of a joke, see if there is someone local willing to scan it for you - http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/123503/ShowPost.aspx

Is there any smoke when you floor it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no smoke when you floor it. The car feels like its running on about 30% of the power. Its in the vw dealership nr work. There going to do the diognostic on monday. I will keep you updated when i know what is up with it. The first garage charged me 50.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Then its almost certainly the maf, you can do a test yourself so get it
back off them tomorrow and unplug the maf in the car park, take it for
a spin and see if there is any difference in power. If not, its the
maf.

Click HERE
and scroll down to JACE's photos, in the engine bay photo look at the
top right. The pipe to the airbox. Just next to the silver clip on the
right you can see the sensor sticking out? Unplug that. DON'T let VW
charge you all that money, the cost of that diagnostics is more than
the cost of the replacement part.

edit - Just so you know, I don't believe a faulty maf even throws a
code. The way of telling is logging the airflow, which the dealer will not do. They will probably suggest a new turbo or something.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yeah I agree with Aidan

Also be aware that normal dealer price for a MAF is about ?300 but VW have come under such pressure from irate owners that they will supply MAF's on an exchange basis for about ?75 - make sure you don't get caught out.

You will also need a Torx bit to undo the MAF.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the advice lads. Im gunna go up sat morning and try it around the block with it unpluged. Ive got nothing to loose have i,  ha-ha, Apart from a lot of money off vw.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Is it a easy job to change the maf if that is the prob?
If your not used to playing with cars, it will take you about 10-15 minutes.

It really is quite easy, do a search on here for a MAF clean how-to.... Shows you where it is and how to do it.

P.S. Although I wrote the cleaning how-to, my advise now would be to replace it.

But as above, unplug it first and be sure, it could otherwise be an ?80 mistake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im going to replace it anyway now. The way i see it is ive got nothing to lose really. The car is 3 yr old and its only got 43,000 miles on it with full service from vw. I really cannot see it being something major like what  that machanic waz saying. Cheers for the advice its much apriciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Consider THIS
one - may be a better price than the dealers, they may also rip you off
with somethin like half an hours labour charge if you order from them
and get them to fit it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think im going to just buy one from german and sweedish. I just want to get one in asap to see if that is the prob. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for telling me mate. The car just doesnt feel anyware near as fast. Im just glad that it doesnt need the engine ripping out, like the mechanic waz tellng me. Will the pierburg one cause damage to the car if i leave it in for a week or so? or should it be taken out asap? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i doubt it would do harm, just wont fuel right. The pieburg was perfect for the non PD engines.I tried one in mine with the hybrid turbo and when going up inclines it hit a brick wall at 90mph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts