Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post on the forum.

A change in my job has seen my daily commute go from 20 miles to 100 miles a day, and therefore I recently bought a 1999 Golf GT TDI 110, I went to see quite a few and ended up travelling 125 miles to buy what I have now.

Previous to this I have driven every model of GTI, along with numerous Corrado's and was guarded about how impressed I would be with a TDI but needs must and during the test drives of numerous GT TDI's I was satisified with the performance.

A couple of weeks on I've got to admit to feeling a little disapointed with the GT TDI, when the turbo kicks in great but for me the car has major flat spots and the power is just not direct enough trying to nudge the car for 80 - 90 on the motorway takes consideration.

Part of me feels that with previous cars I've been spoilt and perhaps expected too much but I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were, or whether it is really accepted that the 110 is slightly under-gunned.

Also I was wondering whether many others have had chips or engine re-mapping and whether they felt it was worth the expense?

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

About the flat spots, you could have problems with the maf, mine was the same recently, and its a VERY common fault.

As for chipping it, I don't think anyone on this forum would say its not worth the expense, you can get it chipped for around ?350-?400ish, and you'll get good bhp gains(around 140-150), and LOADS of torque.[:D]

Lee

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
sniff-sniff.......I smell a faulty MAF!!! ANOTHER ONE!!!

Does it begin to pull, then tail off a little, then back again?

·
Registered
154 Posts
talk to R44MS_K he is doing a good line in MAFS at the minute - see the Groupbuy section!

Anyway, welcome to the forum from a fello 110 owner!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sounds like your MAF for sure. Get it chipped/tuning boxed up and you'll be grinning again....[:D]

·
Registered
273 Posts
im gonna go for the upsolute option.. if anyone up north east england wants to do it, let me know and maybe if you fancy upsolute simon could do a deal?...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've been in Rivage's TDI 110 which has an Oettinger chip. I thought it was really good. It was smooth right the way through the rev range, almost petrol like.

IMO a chip would be well worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, been snowed under with work and totally forgot about the topic until I posted another message.

To top it all I've noticed major drops in mpg over the past two weeks, so I feel pretty confident it is the maf as most of you have already identified.

Anyone got opinions on the differences between the merc maf and standard?? Is it better to stick with standard??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just been having a read of the forum in a bit more detail, in terms of price difference what are we talking for a tuning box versus a full remap and respective performance gains???

Just as I thought I'd left my days of car mod'ing behind and got all sensible I find myself looking at my bank balance and beginning to feel a bit giddy.[:p]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Better to stick with standard if you can get an exchange from a VW dealer for ?75. The Merc MAF has gone up recently, they used to be ?47 but i think i've read on here that they have gone up recently to around ?60 (i'm guesing here!) but either way i think your better off with standard.

That said, the Merc MAF works well and delivers plenty of performance for your buck.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The mercedes part used to be a VERY cheap way out of this comon problem, but now that VW have the exchange deal, and Merc have upped their prices, there's only about ?15 in it.

The Mercedes part works very well in the 110 - I have had one for a good while now, no problems with it's performance or longevity. It's not a tuning part, just a replacement.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are thinking of chipping your 110bhp TDI there is an ECU for sale in the classified with a chip fitted by Superchips for less than what they charge to fit a chip to your own ECU and cheaper than most Tuning boxes

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've been running a speed buster tuning box and the performance is comparable (but not quite as good), to Amar's 110 TDI with larger injectors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mister E can I ask what your reason was for going for the Speed Buster Tuning Box, as opposed to say the Dragon unit?

As I understand it you are looking at around a 20% increase in bhp, but what effect does this have on fuel economy??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah i brought my 110 gt tdi last may and at first was quite impressed with it great daily driver, i was also running a corrado G60 at weekends so the golf always felt a bit slow. As time went on the golf seemed to be getting slower and slower and it was really starting to get to me! [:(!] It was only when my dad drove it and said this thing is gutless that i thought something must be wrong with it, then i found this forum (god send) Got myself a new merc maff,piper x panel filter and wow car as never been so good loads of torque and i was surprised by how quick it was! [^] any how sold the rado recently but im so happy with the golf now im not that bothered and im off to Jabba tommorow for a remap! [:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
just wanted to say that i've got a 130 with a van aaken box.it's wickid [:D] from about 1750 RPM , its hold on and snatch the next gear,QUICK !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
g-master cheers for your comments, glad to hear I am not alone. I'd heard so much good stuff about the GT TDI and after driving a few I thought I'd made the right decision. It was only after 2 weeks I began to panic a little.

Got a new MAF sorted so its just a case of getting it fitted, so next stop is a panel filter. I think first up I'll probably look at a tuning box as a half way house measure to see if the performance gains are what I expect.

·
Registered
348 Posts
[:D] Yeah mate stick with it and your be surprised by the out come i've just got back from jabbasport what a drive home! [:D] Got 114bhp/178lb.ft in standard trim and after the remap a nice 155bhp/262lb.ft im happy highly recommend jabba for a remap! [^]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I went for the speed buster box since it was advertised as having original connectors and being TUV tested so for peace of mine really. It also has a wire that goes from the diesel pump interconnect to the MAF, that needs wiring so it's doing more than just sticking the car in winter mode. There's a small dial to adjust the fueling as well so you can adjust for more performance or economy. The chap who sells them on ebay (Craig Marsden) is a really friendly guy and helped me ith what I needed to know in less than 5 mins of being on the phone to him. Highly recommended!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts