Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, any advice welcomed.

Having a bit of a nightmare with my 2009 Mk5 Golf GT 140 (bkd)

I bought the car with a faulty turbo and so sourced another to replace it. the old turbo was totally goosed and in fact had broken the shaft.

So i fitted the new turbo (CHRA cartridge) also replacing the VNT nozzle & ring, changed the oil & filter & thought i would have a fixed car but its not been right since.

The car has no boost in 1st & 2nd gears & when you change to 3rd it pulls as it should right up to 6th gear. occasionally it will boost in 2nd at around 3500 rpm, but only occasionally. I've noticed that usually when i try to accelerate in 1st & 2nd the car throws a cloud of smoke out the exhaust (unburnt fuel) & i'm getting an injector knock. also the engine vibrated quite badly as if i'm in a high gear at low speed.

So far i have done the following:

Replaced Turbo & VNT ring.

Changed Oil & oil filter.

Removed Catalyst & cleaned out in case of restriction, i also disconnected the Cat at turbo end & tired it along the road to see if it made any difference but No.

Removed EGR checked / cleaned / functioned & refitted.

Checked all vacuum hoses / tested vacuum with gauge & getting plenty, tested Wastegate actuator.

Replaced vacuum solenoid box.

Replaced Air Flow Meter & had it calibrated.

Replaced MAP sensor.

Checked all boost / intercooler hoses for leaks, also cant hear any boost leaks.

Removed Turbo & checked incase of any faults but couldn't see anything wrong so refitted.

I've pretty much run out of ideas now & looking for any advice, maybe someone has had similar issues???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive got the exact same issues, replaced same parts/sensors any resolution on this?

Only difference is mine is running 224BHP / 497NM torque with the following setup : Hybrid MDX48 Turbo from Turbo Dynamics, Sachs Clutch and single mass flywheel, H-Beam conrods, EGR Valve blanked but throws up EGR light)

Thinking the Injector wiring loom or injectors, no fault codes thrown up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all the best friend of you wallet is a diagnostic tool. Like vcds. You can check almost everything from there. So if you dont have one, find someone that has and make logs and you will identify the problem from there.(the most times at least)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Did you fit the variable vanes in the turbo yourself? The variable vanes need to be set via a flow bench at a turbo repair place, if you bought a recon turbo or got yours recon'd at a turbo place they'd have set the vnt via the little grub screw on the bearing housing of the turbo. If this isn't set then the air flow can be off and and result in the turbo not kicking in at the correct revs that it should, too low down, too high up, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts