Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Priscilla is a 2000 mk3.5 Cabrio Avantegarde with an electric roof

Put the roof down yesterday as it was a nice day, as I was putting the hood bag over the folded roof I noticed a loose wire with a spring on the end and not connected to anything on the LHS of the car.

Does any one know where it connects to as it does not appear to hamper the operation of the hood

Piccie below

Posted Image

TVM

Kev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took it down to the local VW bandits and they say it is a cable tensioner that fits from the front frame by a pop rivet, to the rear supporting strut. Pulled it out and cable was ruted out, cost of new cable £10.82 .vat fitting unknown but not less than £300!!!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I was going to say that looked like a side tension cable, looks the same as my mk1 one. It keeps the side of the roof straight against the top of the door glass and keeps it under tension so water can't leak down.

Cheap to buy, but a pain to change. Will probably involve removing some rubbers to get to where the spring hooks on, then feeding the cable through the roof lining.

If VW are charging a fortune to do this, try contacting Car Hood Warehouse, or Northern Car Hoods. They might be a bit cheaper[Y]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a company in Romford (The Car trimming Company) who will do it
for approx £50 inc parts which are in stock and will take approx 1hr to
do

Taking Priscilla there on Monday[<:eek:)]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·