Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark 4 Golf diesel 2002. Problem began with it intermittently running badly as if on three cylinders. Poor idle and at driving speeds. Over about three weeks it has gone from an occasional problem to permanent. Two weeks ago it went perfectly on two 250 mile journeys, one at each end of 4 days, but did misbehave inbetween. A week ago it would travel 5 miles normally, then misfire for 2 or 3 miles and then run perfectly for 70 miles, especially if I stopped and switched off the engine. I have cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor and also run it electrically disconnected - no improvement.
There is one other caveat. I recently changed the fuel filter - can't remember if this was before or after the fault arose. I bled it according to online guidance by switching ignition on and off. It then churned and failed a couple of times and then ran fine.
Any ideas would be most welcome. There appear to be several horror possibilities on line.
Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Northpole. I don’t have an engine code reader. It is certainly me worth buying a code reader - any recommendations? Apologies for not thanking you before ref. Wipers. Got them working properly in the end. Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds as if only one cylinder. Just a rough idle and acceleration poor as if one cylinder not working. Sometimes it’s fine as this morning starting from cold, but only for about a minute. Always starts immediately even when one cylinder appears to be out.
Do you think It might be linked to the fitting of a new fuel filter? I did put fresh diesel into it.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Engine code is the name of the engine block you got in your car... it's a 3 digit code like AJM ASZ ARL etc... it's either on the sticker in the ownersmanial, the one in the boot or you can find it stamped on the engine block itself.. also on the timingbelt cover there should be a sticker with the code printed on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine code is the name of the engine block you got in your car... it's a 3 digit code like AJM ASZ ARL etc... it's either on the sticker in the ownersmanial, the one in the boot or you can find it stamped on the engine block itself.. also on the timingbelt cover there should be a sticker with the code printed on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds as if only one cylinder. Just a rough idle and acceleration poor as if one cylinder not working. Sometimes it’s fine as this morning starting from cold, but only for about a minute. Always starts immediately even when one cylinder appears to be out.
Do you think It might be linked to the fitting of a new fuel filter? I did put fresh diesel into it.
On black’VIN’ plate under bonnet above n/s suspension strut it says ATD1408.
On engine block - 038021AA, 80HBH.
Cam belt cover - obliterated.
In boot - ATD.

Does this make sense to you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably the injector loom that is causing the problem. .. but that mostly happens on the 130 and the 150 bhp versions (ASZ and ARL) but it can happen on any pd engine.
Thanks Northpole. My only other thought was it could be an air leak or air bubbles in fuel system as I’ve just fitted a new fuel filter, but would have thought it would be hesitant to start and wouldn’t rev, so will go with injector loom and start that now. I’ll let you know outcome.
Thanks once again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts