Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have finally made the decision to buy an 02 aniversary golf, I have scrimped and saved and managed to get around 12k together. The problem is that I cant find any.

Seen a couple in autotrader which were snapped up, a few had big miles so decided not to bother.

What are my chances of picking a mint one up in silver with around 30k miles? I am willing to travel to get it but getting impatient, should I just give up and buy a Type R which are around the same price and on an 03-04 plate?

Advice appreciated.

**EDIT** P.S: Does anybody own one on here? could they advise if they are worth the money? I have noticed that although they are the anniversary edition, the internal spec is actually quite poor compared to a 150gttdi which can have heated leather seats and other goodies. (maybe my mind isnt 100% made up yet)

Thanks

Damon

·
Banned
774 Posts
I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find one with 30K miles in mint condition for 12K.

I had the diesel version and wasn't impressed. Without wishing to rub the owners noses in it too much let's just say they don't handle very well, I also think the 18's compromise the car on UK/rough roads. The spec like you say is pretty poor- all you really get are some bits of chrome trim, standard climate, bigger brakes and some garish RECARO seats. Black headlining, golfball gearknob and some blacked outbackground lights complete the picture (not really worth anything in my mind). A high spec 'normal' car with xenons, DSP and leather is miles better IMO.

They look great though and don't depreciate much so if driving pleasure isn't high on the list maybe one would be a good buy for you.

I like the type R but feel it's a totally different type of car to the MKIV so can't really be compared. If I had 12K to spend on a fast hatch I suppose my money would go on a Cupra 225 with all the toys or a 225bhp S3.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
They are about, its just a case of waiting for them to come up. I
scoured and waited about 3 months before picking my 02 plate 16k
Tornado Red Anniversary. Must admit I'd viewed quite a lot and was put
off by the standard of examples around, but you have to stay focused as
there are some minters out there. Also don't forget its a three/four
year old car now, and the people selling can't command such a high
price these days, so do try and barter down that price - although don't
insult the seller too much (learnt that lesson lol).

Keep an eye on Autotrader daily and also watch dealer stock on VW UK.
This site was handy for keeping an eye on dealer stock as well:

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/UsedCarSearch.aspx

As Sammyboy has said, comparisons to the Type R are diffucult. Both
very different cars. But its all down to what you like at the end of
the day. Drive both (presuming you haven't done so already) and then
see [:)]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, still alot to think about.

The main reason for wanting the anniversary edition was a sporty looking car with good acceleration but with fuel efficiency and cheaper road tax, however, the doubts are because I have now looked at a few other cars that offer a few more toys for the money, leather seats, sat nav etc. Im testing an 03 Type R in a couple of hours, they seem pretty basic on the inside aswell though, not even air conditioning, unless added as an optionl extra, 04 onwards have it but could be out of my price range. Another consideration I have is insurance, fully comp for me and my partner is only ?360 on the golf and over ?500 for everything else.

I think if a golf turned up for sale with low miles and in my price range then I would probably go for it as it does seem to tick all the boxes for my requirements, however, Im driving a 4 door, 8v, P reg 1.6 Astra at the moment and I dont know how much more I can take.

Thanks for all the information guys, if anybody else has any opinions then do not hesitate to post, greatly appreciated.

P.S: If you have an "anni" for sale or know of one then give me a shout. Just one more thing, if I do see a car that I want to buy, who is it that I ring to double check that it has no outstanding finance or been in a smash?

Thanks again

Happy Easter

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love my Anniversay and waited a good few months untill I found one I was happy with. I bought one with a few more miles on the clock (54K) but it was a very clean and well looked after car. I also wanted to buy from a main dealer so my options were further reduced.

I did stray many times and looked at Audi A3's, Cupra's, Type R's, etc etc. But nothing else really did it for me! I wanted to spend my money on something unique and also cost effective.

In my opinion you will be pushed to find a low mileage diesel. The usual incentive of owning a diesel is to save on fuel costs because of a high annual mileage. Mine has done nearly 60K miles now and diesels are good for 150K+.

Just bear in mind if you are buying something near 55K, you will need a major service nd cambelt change at 60K. It is worth trying to get it free from the dealer before buying the car or knocking the price down. That's what I managed to do on mine anyway.

O and bear in mind....wheels WILL corode no matter how well you look after them! This is another cost you will have to consider. Taking all this into account, mine still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it!

On the matter of standard pd150's, depends on your taste....I would rather have the 'garish' recaros, black trim, etc etc......all down the individual taste!

Whatever choice you make, make sure its right for you!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Your 'want' list seemed similar to mine!

If you have breakdown cover through greenflag/AA/RAC...they do good deals on HPI checks if your a current customer.

HPI: http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/?supplier=goog

There was somewhere where you can get a very simple free check to find out if the car still has finance and when it was registered etc.

But to be honest, if your buying from a dealer....they should have done it anyway! ask them for a copy!!

Where abouts do you live mate? maybe come along to a meet and I'm sure people will let you have a go in different cars...I will let you have a go of mine...

O another thing to think about....diesels can be chipped easily to give an extra 35-40bhp!!!

Tom

·
Banned
774 Posts
That car looks good from the ad. Wonder what he'll take for it?

Be aware if you decide to remap it that the clutch is a weak point.

A minor point it doesn't seem to have the correct floor mats or they've lost their red tinge, you can get a set of these off ebay at a reasonable price though.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have now looked at a few other cars that offer a few more toys for the money, leather seats, sat nav etc.
The sat nav can be easily retro-fitted to the MKIV Golf - it will cost around ?400 for all the kit. Definately one of the best mods i've done [:)]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/246725/original.aspx

I personally prefer cloth seats over leather, I had an S3 with leather Recaro's before the Anniversary and can't really say I miss them. Cloth seats also stay looking newer than leathers IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just test drove the Type R, if you want a hot hatch then get one, not drove nothing like it, when you hit 6k revs it dumps loadsa fuel through and it flies like nothing I have drove before. The good write ups that I have read are justified in my opinion, however, still prefer the look of a Golf so will keep searching.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have seen that anni on ebay...looks a clean and genuine example.....they get snapped up quick though!

Agree totally with SEM.....then again we are biased!

I drove a Type R a while back....great power, and handling...but I felt like a bit of a boy racer, would have cost me too much in fuel and interior did nothing for me at all... [:|]

Keep us posted, Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep, agree totally, the bloke reckons that it would only do 20mpg if I drove it like I did today, he was looking a bit white when we got back, he he, the interior is dissapointing aswell, however, for a boy racer car that is the one I would buy, having said that most new cars would seem fast compared to what I currently drive.

Got the bloke off ebays number and hopefully going to take a look tomorrow, let you know how I get on.

Your car looks mint, just what I want.

·
Registered
906 Posts
good luck mate

i travelled nearly to Wales to pick my anniversary up. Found it in vws website before it made it to the garage.

Mine was 12k with 36thousand miles on the clock.

I was also looking at the type r and leon cupra r as i had a vr6 and wanted similar power but feel in love with the anniversary in silver.

here is mine

Posted Image

·
Registered
906 Posts
Tell me about it. Saw them on the vw website up to 15k!

I did go down to southampton to view a red anniversary tdi got all the way there from London and i got a phone call saying car had been sold. Wasn't the best pleased.

The onw i got was a company car as it was from inchcape rentals. think i was really lucky. Paid the deposit before i saw the car, lucky i did cause they had 20phone calls before i managed to get up to see it.

Good luck on finding a good car mate.

I couldn't say about the petrol versions sorry. Are you going to see it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to let you know how I got on.

I spoke to the person with the petrol version golf and mentioned that I would have to travel 150miles to view it and if it wasn't genuine then I would not be happy, I mentioned that I would know if it had had a bang and that I was looking at paying 12k, she said that she would phone me back, the call never came so I presume that it either had problems or that the money wasn't right, either way I had no response and left it at that.

I went to see the diesel version advertised on ebay today and test drove it, it was very nice, clean inside and the outside and was relatively spotless, the alloys were brand new with good tyres and it went very well.

I just had doubts as to whether it had had a smash on the drivers side at some point, the owner mentioned that he new the previous owner and did not know of any smashes, however, around the petrol cap and window it looked like the laquer was slightly starting to flake unlike on the passenger side, around the window on the rubber I could see slight spray spatters where it possibly wasn't masked off properly, by the door handle there was a very small run and the paint was quite rough in texture under the door handle, unlike on the passenger side, if this was infact a re-spray due to accident damage then it was a very good job, however, I am very very very fussy when spending 12k and noticed these minute faults. The underneath was clean with no knocks so I presume it was possibly just body damage, the car looked mint and if I felt it was genuine then it would be at home with me now, I just thought that it could be full of filler for all I know and that I may have problems in the future, feel really gutted to be honest as I really liked it.

Just goes to show how careful you have to be, somebody will probably just pay the dough for that and not even notice what I did.

Ill have to keep on looking, if anybody sees a genuine one for sale then please let me know.

Cheers

Damon

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sorry to hear the car wasn't feeling 100% right mate.

I did a search on the vws website. There are currently 3 tdi anniversarys one in each colour. Ranging in price from 12k to 13.5k. Typically the silver one is the most expensive!

Didn't know where you lived so put in my post code. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used_cars/find

Will keep an eye out for you mate.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would have probably done the same because i'm just as fussy!

BUT....you could be reading too much into it. It may have been keyed in the past and it had a respray?

How well did the paint match up because silver is the worst colour for matching?

Might be worth getting an AA/RAC inspection done on it if you're really interested.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts