Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Rich, they have broken the contract you had to buy the car, whether you signed anything or not is totally irrelevant. They must compensate you to a reasonable ammount, and if you have no car now, they should lend you one until the matter is sorted.

If there is a similar car at another dealer, whether that is part of the group or not is irrellevant IMO. They could buy it and sell it to you for zero margin, IF you are inagreement to buy THAT car for the same money as the one they have stiffed you for.

I would suggest a solicitors letter, and their offer of 500 off a new mk5 is a joke! There is 2k margin to play with there at least.

BTW, what was the reason for the sale being cancelled, ie where is the car. Sounds like they sold it someone for more cash than you offered??

A price on the screen is purely and invitation to treat, but once you agree a price and agree to buy it, that is offer and acceptance, and if they realised they sold it cheap, tough luck to them!! The same as if you relaised it was over the odds, they would hold your deposit until they sell the car, and then only be allowed to keep any "loss" over the sale to you and the sale to the eventual buyer.

Go to the top my firend and give em hell, (once you have spilled the beans as to whcih bag of toads this was!!)

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Rich, i would not borrow a car, hire one and charge them. Write to them detailing what has happended that you bought a car, they weched on it but only having sold your own, and that you will be renting a car and expect them to pay for it, OR they supply a courtesy car for you IMMEDIATELY until the matter is sorted.

Straigthforward breech of contract, get a solicitor, (wont cost much) and they will do the letter for you I am sure.

Its amazing, if you had breeched the contract they would want your deposit, even though you as a consumer have "cooling off" period rights 14 days believe. They DO NOT have such rights as they are dealers and are deemed experts in law on such sales.

maybe you were taking a risk in buyin a car you had not seen, but that's all you could be critisised for, and it is not YOU breeching the contract.

Just go see a good solicitor and a letter will be about 50 quid. I think you will get a result.

I would say you would be wise to go elsewhere for a car though, as you will get poor service from these guys now, so maybe just get a hire car paid for, or get 500 quid just ot go away and forget it all!

· Registered
2,052 Posts
BTW, do you have an e mail forthe dealer? If so, post it here and a few thousand of us will e mail them for you saying what bad service they appear to have given you!

Amazing what a bit of "bad press" will be worth to them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.