Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im looking to buy a Golf 4motion and wanted to know anything i should look out for before buying. Looking to get something like a 2001 model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers [^]

·
Registered
961 Posts
check the servicing on the haldex i suggest, make sure its been done as per the book.look underneath at the hadlex system and check for leaks as that can be expensive!

welcome to the forum by the way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys think there would be any problems if i was to get an import?

Such as servicing and parts?

cheers

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by mashed on 21/03/2005 12:40:13

If im correct, should'nt the haldex service be done at around 40k?

audi say it should be done every 20k to be on the safe side

·
Registered
628 Posts
spoke to audi today about haldex,he reckons oil every 20,000 and filter every 40,000.

my vw dealer don't do the haldex service,audi will do it ror about 100 pound with parts.

i'm gonna do it myself when i've made a tool.

·
Registered
628 Posts
check for wear on the inside edges of the front tyres.

mine had been run with wrong tyre pressures and looked ok till i looked from under the car.

check warning lights light up and then go out when you start up.

knock money off for a new MAF as this way you know you have a good one.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
check the fans are running properly IE slow speed constantly when the air con is on, NOT pulsing between slow and fast, and if they are there gone its a 300 quid fix, also make sure the car has not been an import, also make sure it has climatronic as I have since found out that alot of imports didnt have it as did some police cars so if it hasnt got it its been one of the above.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
also check that it has been run with the same brand of tyres all round aswell verify that the servicing has been done at volkswagen and ring customer seervices they will be able to verify whether stampos are genuine in the service book

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 21/03/2005 20:09:54

also check that it has been run with the same brand of tyres all round aswell verify that the servicing has been done at volkswagen and ring customer seervices they will be able to verify whether stampos are genuine in the service book

why is same brand of tyres so important andy?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote: posted by JonJon on 22/03/2005 00:15:40

I guess that if the tyres are the same it indicates the owner has looked after the car rather than buying any old rubbish to put on. I'd generally walk away from a car with different tyres on the same axle.

Also, on some cars even different tyres of the same brand are detrimental to the handling.

eg. It's well known that E46 BMW sport's tramline like hell as it is. Mix the tyres and even something as simple as changing lanes at 70mph becomes scary.

I know of more than one person who've had Michelin PS1s and when the rears worn out they've replaced them with PS2s.

The cars became virtually undrivable until the same tyres were on all round.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Check that the car runs straight when driving. It's not a "tenner down quickfit" job to get realignment done - ?100+

I'd be inclined to pay the ?200 and get the AA out to it! [:(]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Quote: posted by JonJon on 22/03/2005 00:15:40

because the car is 4wd and it is much better to have the same rolling radius all round so as not to cause excess stress on the difs and haldex,

even tyres of the same size but different brand can have VERY different rolling radius,s, wear doesnt matter so much as that will only creat a difference of a couple of mill but different brands can be much more

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
'also make sure the car has not been an import, also make sure it has climatronic as I have since found out that alot of imports didnt have it as did some police cars so if it hasnt got it its been one of the above'

Why make sure its not an import?.....they come with extra's which you would have to pay more for here such as leather, xenon's etc.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Quote: posted by mashed on 22/03/2005 18:50:12

'also make sure the car has not been an import, also make sure it has climatronic as I have since found out that alot of imports didnt have it as did some police cars so if it hasnt got it its been one of the above'

Why make sure its not an import?.....they come with extra's which you would have to pay more for here such as leather, xenon's etc.

the price should be lower than a uk car due to it being impossible to get an aftermarket warranty and also alot of ins companies shy away from them, aswell vw uk do not carry a central service record of these cars so it is much harder to verify the history,which is very important as many more historys are forged than you think

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine was originally purchased in Belgium but is right hand drive. VW assured me that there is no such thing as "UK spec" but "euro spec" the only difference being languages and drive side etc. i.e no changes to under car sealant and stuff.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by enigma1992 on 22/03/2005 06:21:37

Check that the car runs straight when driving. It's not a "tenner down quickfit" job to get realignment done - ?100+

What makes you say that? I had my R32 correctly set up when I fitted my coilovers (front and rear adjusted) for ?23.50, they even set the rear up to what I wanted.

Oh and they set it up again when I removed the coilovers and adjustable tie bars when I came to sell the car.

J.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gt quaoted a ?160 from VW for 4 wheel allignment - is that not why 1992 says its expensive.

Can you get done for cheaper than that? (for 4 wheel drive?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts