Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last my search is over.

Bought a new playmate for my Mark IV GTi at the weekend a late Mark 2 16V.

It is a 92 J with full history and 120K on the clock, 5 door in a metalic charcol colour (not pure black). With grey leather 5 door std including the late alloys G60 BBS design. Fantastic runner mechanicals are very very sweet. Few cosmetic items to sort out, generally the paintwork is in VGC just a few scratches to sort out.

Only non-std bit seems to be an electric sunroof, it has a factory sunroof but it has had an electric system fitted (unless there was a factory fit option ?).

I need to source a BBS centre cap for one of the alloys (suggestions welcome) and the offside fog and nearside main beam lights have cracks so I will need to replace them. Also need to sus out the factory alarm, the remote has two buttons, the left hand one with an indent will lock and un-lock the car, the right hand raised button just seems to flash the hazzards ?

Leather will need some care as the bolster on the drivers side is torn but we know an upholsterer (sp) so should be able to get that sorted at a reasonable price. Few other maintenance items that will need atention, the heater fan is noisey.

Hopefully I can post some pics later.

·
Registered
372 Posts
there should be a siren when you press the other button, it is the panic button, for whatever reason the siren has been turned off. there may be a small key on the fob, which is to a siren under the bonnet. turn the key in the siren box and, hopefully, voila!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it will stay fairly std. Does look great even at 13 years old, kept looking at it on the drive back in my rear view mirror.

I like the std look of the 16V especially with those alloys.

Insurance is the next problem as all the on-line insurance companies are looking for Thatcham CAT1 or 2 and with no-noclaims bonus (don't want to nick it from my Golf or Kates MX-5 insurance) even with Kate as the main driver for upto 8K on a private drive at night that quotes are about 350-400. Any suggestions and number to try.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I am, a few bits-n-pieces need sorting on it but generally it is in good nick for a 13 year old car. As far as I can see except for the electric sunroof kit it is as it left the factory.

Loverly colour (though I'm not sure what it is called) and it still has such precence on the road. Love those alloys too just need to sort out the missing cap.

Just registered back on the ClubGTi forum as I'm going to need some help as I never owned any other Golf than my Mark IV.

I can't beleive how well it drives for a 13 year old car. I have a load of bills for parts and work done. New clutch at 94K so that should be good for a while.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brentacre are quoting 434.70 with 250 excess for TPF&T with it in the Mrs name with me as a named driver with up to 8K miles per year. Seems a bit steep as I'm 40 and she is 39 for a third car in the family. I will get her to try her insurance company as they may give some kind of no claims.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Very nice indeed!

Centre caps appear on ebay from time to time

There was one on there the other day!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Royster on 10/01/2005 17:52:40

Very nice indeed!

Centre caps appear on ebay from time to time

There was one on there the other day!

Is this the correct one ?
Posted Image

I've not really looked at them this one is on ebay for ?15 with 5 hours left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts