Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Richard - no intentions of Tracking the car, (it's only a 2.0) lol

What other setups are there? What sort of money? I thought Koni Dampers were all about the same price as a Coilover kit from FK??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Chris - it shouldn't cost that much to fit, maybe ?100? It's not that difficult anyway, i watched a mate swap all 4 shocks on my GTI-R in around 1.5 hours.... ?100 should include fitting, then allignment etc to make sure it's all ok!

That's what i'm hoping anyway mate!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Nick, Just been looking round - Awesome do an FK coilover kit for ?299.....can't argue with that!

They charged ?125 +VAT to fit my springs and shocks, so you'd have the lot done for under ?500 - seems like good value. Rally_Chris is local to you he may know somewhere to fit them for you.

Chrisf70 - Don't have any personal knowledge of Apex - others here might. How about the Awesome set?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for that Richard, i've PM'd Chris to see if he knows of anywhere!

If Awesome sell a kit for ?299.... i should be able to get it Direct as i have an account with them!

Will let you know what i find anyway.....

·
Registered
874 Posts
The kit for ?299 is not height adjustable at the rear- which kind of defeats the purpose of coilovers if you ask me!

The ?399 kit should be spot on though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ahh well, thinking about it a bit more, it doesn't really need to be height adjustable - just lower the car a fair bit and still be a decent enough ride not to make the car rattle to pieces!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nick,

If you're worried about the warranty, why not pick up a set of VW sports suspension (springs & dampers from a standard 1.8T) from someone who has upgraded to aftermarket springs/coilovers. If you've got VW parts on there then it's not going to shout 'MODIFIED' to the VW dealer (or insurance company ;) )

We've just done this on the gf's 1.6 Golf and it has made a BIG improvement. To complete the mod you can also change to a thicker 1.8T front ARB but this can be a relatively big job to change so you might want to try the springs and dampers first (as we have done).

It's also a cheap solution as you should be able to get the springs/dampers for around ?50, plus the cost of fitting.

Chris

21 - 28 of 28 Posts