Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by nickg123 on 08/02/2005 10:54:17

....i just wanted to know how this would be effected if i was to either put some lowering springs on, or maybe go for Coilovers?

Don't just fit lowering springs, the std shocks will rapidly deteriorate and will need changing anyway.

Fit a good kit (matched springs and shocks) and the handling will improve enormously.

Are they likely to void the warranty if i start modifying it??

Not just warranty, any mods like this will also have to be declared to your insurance company.

Also, if we go for 18 or 19's, how much should the car be lowered by to not look stupid and boat like? Would a 50mm drop be ok, or would it be too harsh a ride??

IMHO don't go chasing numbers when lowering, a good matched kit such as Eibach or Koni will lower the car and improve the handling, if it's lowered too much it can screw up the geometry which'll mean it may look 'slammed' but it won't handle corners or bumps....

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by nickg123 on 08/02/2005 14:18:54

...so lowering springs = bad idea in general?

No, lowering springs are a good idea. Chris and Mike are spot on, change both springs and dampers. The main thing to remember is that dampers not springs have the most influence on handling and ride. Yes a car does look better lowered, when changing the springs make sure the dampers are matched to the length/rate of the spring otherwise the following could happen...

Hard spring/soft damper - ride is very crashy, still bounces like a pogo-stick

Soft spring/hard damper - Bounces too much but ride still feels harsh

Lowered spring/std damper - damper is operating outside it's usual 'resting state' so accelerated wear and still bounces....etc etc

Some of the cheap kits simply add some spurious springs to a set of dampers, they don't actually improve much - a set such as Eibach/Koni/H&R/FK etc will be matched and give definite improvements to the car. I'm not suggesting that you be extravagant, just don't cut corners 'cos it could cost in the long run!

HTH

R

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 08/02/2005 15:11:03

Richard... what do you recommend I do? See above?

I think I should replace the dampers, but with which ones? best price possible perhaps even used ones? - dont want to cut corners, but want a deal.

Chris is right - drive carefully and put the money to the next car!

nick - sorry, I think coil-overs are a waste unless you're actually going to change the ride height regularly, same with adjustables, unless you're actually going to use their full capability regularly - i.e. track work or shows - then 99% of the time a good kit will do exactly the same job for considerably less cost. If you are intending to do track work then you'll want ARBs and bushes doing too.......

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Nick, Just been looking round - Awesome do an FK coilover kit for ?299.....can't argue with that!

They charged ?125 +VAT to fit my springs and shocks, so you'd have the lot done for under ?500 - seems like good value. Rally_Chris is local to you he may know somewhere to fit them for you.

Chrisf70 - Don't have any personal knowledge of Apex - others here might. How about the Awesome set?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.