Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am thinking about buying a MkV Golf GT TDI but am unsure as to whether I should get the 4 Motion or the normal 2WD edition.

As I understand the 4Motion is not permanent 4WD, but would like opinions on whether people think it is worth getting over the 2WD version.

Is the boot of the 4Motion much smaller than than the 2WD as I guess the 4WD must cut into the boot abit?

Also what are people general opinions on 2.0 GT TDI?

Many thanks for any views.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was in a similar position to you before I ordered my 4motion - wondering if the 4wd was worth an extra ?1000.

Now however, I would say it was well worth it. The extra grip and confidence it gives you is great - especially in the wet.

The best thing to do would be to have a test drive of both and see what you think.

The boot is 75 litres smaller than the 2wd and does seem quite shallow in comparison.

I'm sure as many people will tell you the pd140 is a good engine, especially when remapped.

ACP

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi everyone

I am thinking about buying a MkV Golf GT TDI but am unsure as to whether I should get the 4 Motion or the normal 2WD edition.

As I understand the 4Motion is not permanent 4WD, but would like opinions on whether people think it is worth getting over the 2WD version.

Is the boot of the 4Motion much smaller than than the 2WD as I guess the 4WD must cut into the boot abit?

Also what are people general opinions on 2.0 GT TDI?

Many thanks for any views.
Hi

I can't speak for the Golf, but I did have an Audi TT 225 4wd a couple of years ago, I loved the TT but had problems with the 4WD transmissin and Haldex diff.I might just have been unlucky.

My car went back to the dealers twice(under warrenty)

To be honest I found for most driving senarios the 4WD wasn't nessecary and just added weight and sapped power and fuel. I have long thought the TT would have been better in 2WD and sure enought Audi did bring out a 2WD model not so long ago.

I'm not saying the 4 motinon is not a good car, but ask yourself will you benifit from it day to day.For me I'd sooner spend the grand on Xenons or something I could appriciate every time I drove the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
do you need 4WD ? personally, I think its pointless for normal useage..smaller boot, less economical. I'd stick with the 2WD version...

and yes, a remap makes the world of difference[:D]

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
guy accross the road from my GF has just got one

I know him well and hopefully will be getting a spin in it

think the 4wd would be better in the winter and slippery weather

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think it would be alot better in the snow/wet in terms of traction, and safety.

But from the sounds of things maybe the 2WD will do just as well...and give me a bigger boot, and improved economy.

How often do you think a Golf 4Motion actually uses all 4 wheels...from what it sounds like it would appear to only be when the front wheels scramble for grip, then it reverts back to 4WD?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I drove one in May last year and thought it was extremely good. If you plan on getting the car remapped it would make sense to go for the 4-motion. I just wish they had offered it in the mk4 in the uk, like europe.

I believe under normal driving conditions a small amount of power is sent to the rear wheels. I have seen haldex equipped cars on the dyno and the rear wheels were being driven from very low speeds.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just think it would be alot better in the snow/wet in terms of traction, and safety.

But from the sounds of things maybe the 2WD will do just as well...and give me a bigger boot, and improved economy.

How often do you think a Golf 4Motion actually uses all 4 wheels...from what it sounds like it would appear to only be when the front wheels scramble for grip, then it reverts back to 4WD?
Sorry forgot to mention fuel economy is worse (3mpg less).

In normal driving conditions 90% of the power goes to the front and 10% to the rear. When the front wheels lose traction, the percentage to the rear increases accordingly (by up to 100%).

I find that even when it's really wet, you hardly ever lose traction.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't forget that the MkV uses the Haldex II system, which basically means that 10% of the power is always going to the rear wheels.

It's true that the power gets transferred to the wheels with most grip, but it's a lot more sophisticated than most people realise - probably those who haven't driven one!

You can, for example, sit the car pointing uphill on a wet road covered in leaves, give it some revs and then let the clutch out. My Golf would have spun like mad, before the ASR/ESP systems chimed in and then it would be a jerky mess of flashing lights and a slow getaway. In my 4WD car, the same scenario results in a smooth and swift getaway with no drama. I would never have imagined only two more wheels doing the driving would make such a difference. It really is an instantaneous transfer, and you don't really notice it happening.

Until recently, I had a MkV GT TDI, 2 wheel drive, and although a cracking car, I'd just traded in a TT for it and I found I really missed the 4WD, particularly in the wet. You should also find that you can get power down in corners a lot earlier than in a 2WD car, but obviously that is offset somewhat by the increased weight and drag of the 4WD system.

I really missed the 4WD, and I now drive an A3 Quattro, and in the recent snow and ice had a great time playing in the country lanes! I was also sailing up roads that other cars were inching along with their wheels spinning etc. The only thing to remember is that whilst a 4WD car has superior traction to a 2WD car in these situations, you still have the same braking capability as a 2WD car, except you're usually going a bit faster!

Had the MkV 4Mo been available at the time I got my GT TDI, then I'd have got one of those and would still have it!

It does make the boot shallower, as others have said, but the boots a fair size anyway.

Having said all of that, even 4WD cars can get stuck in snow and mud! It's also fair to say that my old rear drive BMW 3 series and a set of snow chains got me anywhere I wanted to go in atrocious conditions in the alps. Even a 4WD car on road tyres would need chains in that scenario.

So, would I have Xenons or 4WD on a new Golf V?

4WD drive for me everytime, it really is something you can benefit from every day. Ideally of course, get both!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You can, for example, sit the car pointing
uphill on a wet road covered in leaves, give it some revs and then let
the clutch out. My Golf would have spun like mad, before the
ASR/ESP systems chimed in and then it would be a jerky mess of flashing
lights and a slow getaway. In my 4WD car, the same scenario results in
a smooth and swift getaway with no drama.
Exactly, the difference is remarkable. I had a Bora V6 4Motion and
now have a RWD BMW. The Bora was far more forgiving in slippery
conditions - floor it off the line in this, and of course it will just
wheelspin like mad for 100ft. In the Bora, you would get instant
traction, no drama, every time. In the BMW, slippery corners will cause
the DSC to flicker occasionally - the light rarely if ever
came on in the Bora. Even with the TC off, the 4Motion car gives
excellent grip and felt very safe to drive quickly. Even if you don't drive
'fast' all the time, the extra grip and security when its slippery is considerable..

Big fan of 4Motion, but its not a cheap option and I think you need to try both to make the decision?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You can, for example, sit the car pointing uphill on a wet road covered in leaves, give it some revs and then let the clutch out. My Golf would have spun like mad, before the ASR/ESP systems chimed in and then it would be a jerky mess of flashing lights and a slow getaway. In my 4WD car, the same scenario results in a smooth and swift getaway with no drama.
Exactly, the difference is remarkable. I had a Bora V6 4Motion and now have a RWD BMW. The Bora was far more forgiving in slippery conditions - floor it off the line in this, and of course it will just wheelspin like mad for 100ft. In the Bora, you would get instant traction, no drama, every time. In the BMW, slippery corners will cause the DSC to flicker occasionally - the light rarely if ever came on in the Bora. Even with the TC off, the 4Motion car gives excellent grip and felt very safe to drive quickly. Even if you don't drive 'fast' all the time, the extra grip and security when its slippery is considerable..

Big fan of 4Motion, but its not a cheap option and I think you need to try both to make the decision?
I think to compair a 4 motion with a 3 series is like chalk and cheese, there is nothing worse that a 3 series in snow/ice conditions, I couldn't even get my BMW off my drive in fresh snow.

But a non perminabt 4WD system like haldex, against FWD in day to day driving conditions is much less noticable,especially with ESP. My TT was like a gokart over rough ground (country lanes) due to extra weight to the point it was tiresome to drive.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would go for a 4 Motion if I had the choice, my sister has a 1.9 TDI A3 even this with 35bhp less then the 2.0 has the traction control working overtime when pushing on in the wet, you can forget about pulling out a junction quickly without the TC coming on and taking the power away.

My advice would be too test drive both and see how they feel to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had my Tdi 4 Motion for 4 months, I was lucky and bought it in the "VW sale of the Century" at the end of September with ?4200 off list. 4Wheel is big benefit in winter when pulling into roundabouts and have found the extra weight on back doesn't cause car to lurch forward under heavy braking. Cannot speak more highly of the car and as VW UK has struggled to sell the car to meet their original estimates the discounts available will probably loose the ?1,000 price difference.

Agree mpg is alittle lower but I am averaging 44mpg over last 1,000 miles. The fuel tank is slighlty bigger on the 4Motions as the tank is a saddle tank that sits either side of the 4Motion set up at the rear with the result you can still achieve the same mileage range with the Tdi 4Motion.

I have been considering a R32 DSG but so far the fun of the diesel 4Motion has restrained me from dealing. Tried the alternative to trade in the wife's Touareg but she wasn't having it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I often think it would be great to have 4mo tdi, esp when I'm pulling away with a spinning wheel, esp is no substitute for an LSD. Plus I would be more confident towing. I say go for it.

rich

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had my gt 4motion for 2 months now and thinks it is fantastic.Compared to fwd toque steer and wheel spin when you try and pull out on to a greasy roundabout there is no comparison.The steering feels great as it does not tug at you when you apply full power,For the price off loosing a small amount of boot space etc I would not have fwd again.I too bought mine in v w sale end of last year and got a new gt 4motion in met silver for ?15995.That price beats the price of the fwd by a considerable amount.

Pete.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Couldn't agree more - I drive an A3 2.0 TDi which has been "tuned" to 180bhp and to be honest it sucks. Torque steer, ESP flashing all the time and generally very annoying. To be honest it was just as bad before the remap, just slower. Previously I had a 320D (booo!) which I thought was dull, but when the Audi was delivered and I first took it for a drive I was gutted and realised how awful front wheel drive is, especially when mated to a torquey turbodiesel engine.

I have since insisted on Quattro models every time I take the car in for service and they are so much better its unreal - great traction, no ESP flashes and better body control (revised damping rates at the back maybe?). To be honest I can't wait for replacement time (its a company car). I'll be going for a VW as I've realised that they are way cooler than Audis, for less money too.

Without wanting to be rude to some other posters here, your preference may come down to your appreciation of a chassis and drivetrain. I spend all my spare time on racetracks with my trackbike and over the years I have learned to care more about a chassis, steering, feedback and a car's ability to hold a line etc than the alleged weight penalty and 0-60 times (anyone here find their car handles better on reserve... thought not)

If the new diesel GT170 comes with 4Motion by August I'll take it, otherwise I'll just go for the standard 2.0TDi 4Motion - 4WD is the choice of the cognoscenti if you ask me. Take one for a drive and go for it if you can tell the difference, if not spend the cash on xenon lights, a spoiler and some big wheels...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I recently had a 2.0 Tdi Jetta (FWD) loaner for a while and must say that due to the enormous amount of torque and the peaky nature of the engine (turbo kicks in quite abruptly, not as smooth as other turbo diesels I drove), I found it really hard not to light the tyres up on almost every red light!

Being used to a petrol car and to the more progressive power delivery, I almost found the Jetta dangerous as on T-junctions I would light the tyres up, the ESP would intervene thus leaving me with no power at all! I think that 4WD would therefore be very sensible on a torquey "dieseled" car, especialy in a wet country like the UK!

·
Registered
247 Posts
[I am thinking about buying a MkV Golf GT TDI but am unsure as to whether I should get the 4 Motion or the normal 2WD edition]

We've road-tested them all in Volkswagen Driver mag:

GT TDI: June 2004
TDI 4Mo: July 2005
GT FSI: Feb 2005
FSI 4Mo: Jan 2006

( Full 5-page road-tests inc performance figs etc )

see www.autometrix.co.uk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my 4 motion 3 weeks...lovin it. Came from a 1.8A3 and this does not compare. We live in the hills and the confidence it gives in the wet is worth the extra cash. I moved from a petrol and am impressed. I am still being gentle with it ...well for the first 1000 miles anyway then away I go...I have not seen and lights flickering as yet. Yes the boot is somewhat smaller but I dont really put anytrhing in it...no loss there then. I would do as others have said and test both FWD and 4WD. I tested the 4 motion first then the 2 wheel...I bought it within a week with a nice discount[;)]

·
Registered
58 Posts
4mo ?

Worth every penny- I wouldn't be without it now and the smaller boot can always be overcome by either taking less or getting a roof-box.

My fuel consumption started at around 40mpg and it seems to have nudged up to 43mpg as the mileage has gone over 2000.

Tooks sums it all up perfectly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts