Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,887 Posts
Those brake pipes aren't the worst. Was that a fail or an advisory?

Calm down with stem seals and blocked PCVs. This car hasn't ran in a long time by the sounds of it. Get fresh diesel in it and give it a run. Does it actually smoke? How much? What colour?

Floor is a quick fix, just weld a plate over those holes, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
just giving him the worst case scenario, with the blocked PCV and stem valve seals... I actually forgotten the car sat for a while and it could be as simple as a clean fuel filter, fresh diesel and an oil and oil filter replacement.

also with it being a VE i would deffo run a diesel fuel treatment if it has sat for a while.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
They are on about the end bits of the pipes... so the lot needs to be replaced.

You can try both, but hydraulic valves are the tappets you'd hear them rattle about if they are bad, and to be fair the only real solution to that is to replace them the hydraulic valve treatments usually mask it for a short period of time.
I don’t mind masking it for a short period. I can deal with them properly later. I really need to get this sorted by Tuesday.
I’ve ordered the forte stuff and I have the wynns.
Can I just put them both in the same time? Will I have to drain some oil out first, so that it’s not overfilled with all those additives?
I also found liqui-moly Diesel smoke stop, which goes in the fuel so gonna try that as well.
I can’t take it for along run obviously, but I will fill the tank with new diesel and leave it running outside my house for a few hours at least. Then take it for a couple of mile spin up a fast road so I can red line it a bit and hopefully push some more crap out of it.

According to the MOT slip, it says it has a dpf.
If so, isn’t there a special way to regenerate them by driving at a certain speed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
They are on about the end bits of the pipes... so the lot needs to be replaced.

You can try both, but hydraulic valves are the tappets you'd hear them rattle about if they are bad, and to be fair the only real solution to that is to replace them the hydraulic valve treatments usually mask it for a short period of time.
I don’t mind masking it for a short period. I can deal with them properly later. I really need to get this sorted by Tuesday.
I’ve ordered the forte stuff and I have the wynns.
Can I just put them both in the same time? Will I have to drain some oil out first, so that it’s not overfilled with all those additives?
I also found liqui-moly Diesel smoke stop, which goes in the fuel so gonna try that as well.
I can’t take it for along run obviously, but I will fill the tank with new diesel and leave it running outside my house for a few hours at least. Then take it for a couple of mile spin up a fast road so I can red line it a bit and hopefully push some more crap out of it.

According to the MOT slip, it says it has a dpf.
If so, isn’t there a special way to regenerate them by driving at a certain speed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Those brake pipes aren't the worst. Was that a fail or an advisory?

Calm down with stem seals and blocked PCVs. This car hasn't ran in a long time by the sounds of it. Get fresh diesel in it and give it a run. Does it actually smoke? How much? What colour?

Floor is a quick fix, just weld a plate over those holes, it's not a big deal.
advisories said “all” brake pipes corroded.
Fail was just that one on its own.
I ordered the flexi part as the motor factor guy looked at the photos and said that’s what I need. I’ll just give that a shot.
Not gonna be easy removing them though is it?
I have brake spanner and a load of wd40. Hope that will suffice.

For the smoke I was going to use those 2 additives I mentioned before and then change the oil and filter afterwards.
Also have a fuel filter too.
Fresh tank of diesel with that diesel treatment.
How that sound?
Smoke isn’t a crazy amount. It’s dark smoke.

Weld should be easy. I was going to cut a piece out of my old golf floor, but been let down with cordless grinder today and it’s not near electric.
I have a few old plates of mild steel so I’ll just Chuck that on.

thanks again 🙏

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,887 Posts
Dark smoke will be overfuelling, not stems. Oil burning is blue. Black is fuel. Check for boost leaks, although standing revving it in an MOT won't build any so it's unlikely. Just needs a good run.

Get a proper brake line spanner - a 12 point will strip it out. If the line twists with the nut you NEED to stop or you'll snap the line and have to make new ones up...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thanks for all your help gents 👍

Thread is officially closed!

put fresh fuel in and took it for a spin. Red lined it a bit in 2nd and 3rd when warmed up, to clear it.
Heard a pop.
White smoke.
Tried making it home a couple miles and then heard the engine tappets or cam shaft or whatever making a racket and then conked out 🙄

Oh well, one less car to try and save from the scrapyard ha

61 - 68 of 68 Posts