Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going all the way to Hertfordshire tomorrow to have a look at the one I want.

Is there anything I should look out for?

From the pictures, the exterior and interior look immaculate.

It's 2001 and has 30k miles...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Mileage seems a bit too low to me. Try and figure out how it's been driven. If it's mostly small trips to take the kids to school, or small trips through town, I would start to be a little hesitant.

Cambelt will need doing if it hasn't already been done, including tensioner and while your at it the water pump.

Make sure the service history matches the car etc. Make sure the VIN number is correct. Make sure the windows have the same reg number as the car.

Make sure it has proper recaro's in it, as 2001 was the last time they used them and they are nice. It's the only thing I miss about my 1.8T golf.

Insurance is gonna kill you, even though you may get a discount!

Around 30k is the average for a new set of brakes, have a look and see if the discs have a good lip on them or not and visually check the pads.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I was taking someone who knows what they are doing with me! [:(]

I was going to speak to the RAC about a vehicle inspection?

Insurance is cheap cheap [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well its easy enough to check the basics.

Another tip is have a look at the panels on the car, if one side has more orange peel effect on the paintwork to the other, open the doors and check for paint overspray, you'll know if it's been resprayed then. Mine had, but it was done at the factory and in the documentation so wasn't to bothered.

Easy to check brake pads.

Easy to check service history to see if the cambelt has been done (doubt it but something you will need to do at 6 years old, if not before, so around now).

Check that the clutch biting point is good, i.e. no juddering when starting from stand still and it isn't too high. The clutch could well be quite battered at 30k even, if it's just small 5-10 mile trips in town which have racked up the 30k.

You can physically check the exhaust. You can physically check the oil filler cap for any yellow or white slime (which you dont want).

Check the lines of the car if you like, i.e space between the bonnet and the side panels is the same each side of the bonnet and theres no obvious signs of it running at an angle.

All stuff you can do [Y] If your worried about it, go and see the car FIRST, show your interest, barter and then if your still worried that it might have something wrong, if your deffo sure that you want it, get the RAC to check it the next day for you. Means your not getting the RAC out for a viewing on a car you may not buy.

Plenty more 1.8T's. Why you going all the way to hertfordshire from manchester!? And sure theres someone you can take, boyfriend, family member, friend etc

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help!

I'm taking a friend with me. Reason I'm going there is because I really want this car, best one I have seen, it meets everything on my "list" lol and if that means going to Hertfordshire, then so be it! ROADTRIP [:D]

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm quite looking forward to it actually.

Oh by the way it is due for it's annual service. They said the price would go up ?350 if I want it with the service. My friend said I could take it to Awesome GTi for a service if I take it without and could get a better price...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'm quite looking forward to it actually.

Oh by the way it is due for it's annual service. They said the price would go up ?350 if I want it with the service. My friend said I could take it to Awesome GTi for a service if I take it without and could get a better price...
How much is the car?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
If it's a private sale, as it needs a service, and if the cambelt hasn't been done, try and knock it down to ?6750.

Or, 7k with a service, something like that.

7.5k is a bit steep. Trade in value for it would be ?6500 in excellent condition.

If they won't budge, I would walk away.

The only things that would up the price to 7.5k would be leather, climate might add a bit of value, but not that much and sat nav also would add value. Winter pack add's a bit of value but again, not much.

Has it got any of them?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It is easy to clock cars with digital dashboards using the diagnostic port on the car. Check all the paper work to ensure that the dates and mileages tally up. No paper work, walk away.....

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's a private sale, as it needs a service, and if the cambelt hasn't been done, try and knock it down to ?6750.

Or, 7k with a service, something like that.

7.5k is a bit steep. Trade in value for it would be ?6500 in excellent condition.

If they won't budge, I would walk away.

The only things that would up the price to 7.5k would be leather, climate might add a bit of value, but not that much and sat nav also would add value. Winter pack add's a bit of value but again, not much.

Has it got any of them?
It has low mileage and heated leather seats. Seen pictures and it really does look immaculate

They said they won't budge at 7.5k. I have been looking for months and months-seriously and I can't find one with the stuff I want except this one and from the others I DID find... they were more expensive then that.

I have to say, I don't think it's that bad a price compared to others I've seen for higher.

And I can't really keep looking as my car is being sold asap (as in next week poss) and I need a car for the weekend 4th August so I can drive to USC.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well I've found an 03 plate, 180bhp 6 speed, climate control, cruise control, mutli CD, with heated leather for ?6999 from a trader with a years warranty already!

Not sure on the mileage, but would guess around 70-80k.

You got heart rules head mode on!

What or where is USC!?

7.5k is an ok price but your not getting a bargain or anything like that. If it had its cambelt done and the 30k service done, then I would expect to pay the 7.5k and be happy, as it hasn't, I'd still want some money off.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it have 3 doors?

I also have an issue with low mileage lol I like it as low as poss.

It is heart rules head, but that wins everytime anyway!

I know I'm not getting a bargin, it's a price you would expect to pay. And I'm okay with that because it has all the stuff I want...

USC= Ultimate Street Car

http://www.ultimatestreetcar.co.uk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*Update*

Not long been home! Started driving at 3pm [:(]

But glad I went! It's lovely! Drives like a dream, and everything is immaculate and well looked after.

Asked about cambelt and some other stuff and they are going to e-mail me tomorrow.

Might have it by mid week next week! [:D]

Tha car is actually owned by the bf, and he has just got a new BMW X5 ( he's called Lee and we seem to think it maybe Lee Hughes judging by the numberplate!)

Anyhoo, everything on it is fine, test drive was great- no problems whatsoever [:)]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, 30k in 5yrs isn't particularly suspect, a lot of people dont do many miles (myself included). I'd rather buy a slightly older lower mileage example than do what i did, buy a newer higher mileage one and find that although the engine was sound, things like suspension bushes etc were at the end of their days.

Cambelt isn't due until at least 60 or 80k as far as i remember, dont think theres a time limit on that mileage??

The engine itself is pretty damn bulletproof, the typical odds and sods VW parts may cause an issue. Window regulators, coil packs, blah blah blah.... but the engine should be sound.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, 30k in 5yrs isn't particularly suspect, a lot of people dont do many miles (myself included). I'd rather buy a slightly older lower mileage example than do what i did, buy a newer higher mileage one and find that although the engine was sound, things like suspension bushes etc were at the end of their days.

Cambelt isn't due until at least 60 or 80k as far as i remember, dont think theres a time limit on that mileage??

The engine itself is pretty damn bulletproof, the typical odds and sods VW parts may cause an issue. Window regulators, coil packs, blah blah blah.... but the engine should be sound.
The cambelt is 60k or 6 years. They can go up to 120k so VW says, but I wouldnt risk it.

Like a services, 10,000 or every year. The cambelt will just break down over time, even if it's only used slightly, which it is in the above case.

So, strawbs, you actually gonna buy it?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm not worried about the mileage at all. The reason why it's low is because they both work in Brum so catch the tube to and from work. and if they do ever go out, they always go in the bf's new car. (BMW)

Gf has a Polo so really the GTi is just sitting there.

Not had a cambelt change yet, not due for another 20 odd thousand miles.

I might just get a new one when I have it serviced, just in case!

Yes E36 I am going to buy it!! Going back down on Tuesday to pick it up [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yeah, I'm not worried about the mileage at all. The reason why it's low is because they both work in Brum so catch the tube to and from work. and if they do ever go out, they always go in the bf's new car. (BMW)

Gf has a Polo so really the GTi is just sitting there.

Not had a cambelt change yet, not due for another 20 odd thousand miles.

I might just get a new one when I have it serviced, just in case!

Yes E36 I am going to buy it!! Going back down on Tuesday to pick it up [:D]
You all exicted now then!?[:)]

Can you smell the leather when you get in? Have to stop wearing those tiny little skirts now won't you otherwise the back of yer legs will be red raw on the hot leather seats in this sun! Used to catch me out all the time on my leather seats! Nice luxury though.

Get some photo's up when you got it. And what's your first mod gonna be?! Pink fluffy dice with complementary fluffy steering wheel cover?! [:p]

Happy for you though, you must be really excited. Don't let all that power go to yer head though! Lovely on the motorway though when you change down to fourth at 80mph and off yer go, not too good for the engine, but fun!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts