Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

golf 1.8t advice needed

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  dizzee_rich 
#1 ·
new to the forum big me up (YAY!)

I recently bought a 1.8t DBW and can any one tell me if i get my golf revod what will it do to my insurance as i am only 19 and already paying 1800 [:(] or should i not even bother telling them about this [A]

Also im thinkin of puttin on sum 17/18s OZ wheels on also, would this kill my insurance, or should i just not tell them . i dunno what to do [:S]

any help wood be much appreciated dudes [H]

#2 ·
You know it makes sense to tell you insurance company, so that's all the advice you will probably get.

But put it this way: You could hide REVO from your insurers a lot easier than you could a big set of blinging wheels, and the lowered suspension you would need to make them look right.

#3 ·
Hi!

do you mind me asking who you are insured with and do you have any no claims bonus?

as iam 18 and looking for the same car and have much higher quotes than ?1800

also what BHP is the car 150 or 180?

cheers!

P.S i would def tell insurance as if anything happened and they found out about the revo it would be void

#4 ·
Best thing to do is ring your insurers up and ask them what they'll charge you then decide from there.

My insurers want ?150 for a remap and about ?50 for wheels/lowering, but about ?30 of either of those is the admin fee for amending the policy. Oh, and I'm 30 so I don't pay anything like ?1800!!

#5 ·
ok i rung up my insurance company, and good and bad news! Good news is i can fit 18s, lower it up to 50mm, put on straight through exhaust, induction kit, front and rear valance and side skirts and it will only go up ?300, not bad hey!!!

Bad news is if i tell them its chipped it will go up another ?1300!!!!!!!! LOL so i think i will levae the chip for now!

Yer i was gettin stupid quotes of like 5 grand mate, so i went on my dads insurance [H] i have 2 years no claims also.

#8 ·
Im 25 with 7yrs no claims and clean driving licence. Dont live in bad area either (i think)

No-one will insure a chipped 1.8t for me.

All insurance companys ive asked say the bhp increase is too much and it would make the car to fast for its design specifications.[:mad:]

Ive tried greenlight and they wont touch me either[:mad:][:mad:]

who are you guys getting quotes from???

#9 ·
*** muzzy i thought once i would hit 21 a chip wouldnt really affect the insurance too bad [:(]

I have heard ppl on ere say that there chip (60+ Bhp increase) has only put there insurance up ?60-150, no idea who there with, or how old they are thou mate. Could be 65years old on saga [;)]

#10 ·
do u think i should tell me insurance company about my mods? they asked me is the car modified in any way for performance to my knowled, i told them no, im 21 and im payin ?1200 on my insurance...u think i get insured on a 1.8t [:p] in a about 10 months time once my policy comes for renewal?

#11 ·
yer sonni i would mate as at the end of the day it aint worth the risk, coz if u crash (god forbid) they can turn round and not pay out coz u have unstated mods, and add insult to injury u can be sent to prison for driving without insurance!!! (yes even though u have paid for it!!!)

But u could always take the mods of if u crash ? lol

I really want my 1.8t chipped but it will put my insurance over 3000 pounds lol but if i get it remaped they dont no its had the work done or do they ??? anyone know [:cool:]

#20 ·
thanksfor the info mate, ok make me feel better and tell me ur revo didnt make much difference in perfomance and that it didnt make the 1.8t as fast as it should be [:D] naa only messin mate, but what was the perfomance change like ?
Unfortunately performance is unbelievable. Mine took the car up to 210bhp and my smile up past my ears.

If your at any of the shows over the summer i'll take you for a spin.

But on a serious note, its not worth the extra its going to cost your insurance and it would be silly to buy it and not declare it. Mod the exterior for a year or so then think about doing it

#21 ·
yer i will more than likey be down a few as i only had my golf a month but i love it more n more everytime i drive it and it could inspire some new mods to my car going to a few shows, and only a fool wood turn donw a ride in a 200bhp plus golf lol

if i got the revo free trial and after the time it expires would it still remain detectable do u think ?

yer i am claiming everything that is gonna go on my golf now, it doesnt out the preuim uo to bad unless u add a chip off course lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.