Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got a 1999 golg 1.8 T, i bought the car with 18 inch rims, when i bought it i noticed the car pulled to the left a bit when letting go of the wheel. The guy who owned it said its quite common on a mk4.

Is this the case, its not too bad, but perhaps its not normal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
nah not what i would call normal. Mine is sensitive to it with the 18in
RCs if the tyre pressures dont match. Try checking that first and if
not pop it down your local tyre place and get the tracking checked,
maybe even the tyre balance. Is there any uneven wear on the tyres?

joe

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Firstly get the tracking checked but.... My old Gttdi used to do it after Vw replaced the sterring rack. They claimed it was a common problem with the uk mkiv's. No matter how often it was tracked it always did it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It IS actually a common problem believe it or not. Mine does it!

There are also various myths floating around as to why this happens!

The main one being that it's a security feature whereby if you fall asleep at the wheel, it pulls you to the kerb rather than let you steer into the oncoming traffic.. It's upto you whether you believe that at the end of the day or not though! [:)]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It is indeed common, the Mk4 Golf is very sensitive to road camber.

Best way to see it it is actually a problem is to find a quiet, straight road with a pronounced "crown" to the road.

Try driving down the centre, see fi it tracks straight then. And drive on the right, see if it then pulls right.

Chances are, it will.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hello,

This is something I queried my dealer about as my Bora has had the same
behaviour since new (May '05). I have driven a handful of VWs for
business and I hadn't noticed any of them do the same.

The dealer assured me that it was a common trait (my word, not theirs) of the MKIV and Passat.

After checking the obvious, keep an eye on the tyre wear. My tyres have worn fine after 4.5K miles.

HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the advice. I may get it tracked/ get it checked, but then just keep an eye on the tyre wear.

I'll let you know the outcome of the tracking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine does it less now i've changed the tyres to continentals. Plus it's
quieter too. I'm only on the standard 15s at the mo.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It IS actually a common problem believe it or not. Mine does it!

There are also various myths floating around as to why this happens!

The main one being that it's a security feature whereby if you fall asleep at the wheel, it pulls you to the kerb rather than let you steer into the oncoming traffic.. It's upto you whether you believe that at the end of the day or not though! [:)]
So if you drive your car abroad and fall asleep at the wheel it drags you into oncoming traffic?! Surely this means that the LHD models will drag them into oncoming traffic all of the time. Surely this is not a safe thing to do?! Having said this, mine does it and the tracking has been checked and it's fine [:O] Went to get it checked at Skoda dealership and they said they couldn't do an alignment check as my wheels were too big?! Surely there are Skodas/VW's that came with 18s?!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine does it too. But its mostly down to the camber, because if you drive on the right side of the road, it pulls to the right.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Every car will do this - it's because of the road camber - no road is
completely flat, even if it looks it - there has to be some slight
camber on the road to drain surface water and that camber is always
away from the center of the road. Although some cars do appear to do it
more than others - my FTO pulled left much more gradually than the Golf
but then my Dad's Volvo S80 tracks left way faster than the Golf......
nothing to worry about (IMHO)

·
Registered
196 Posts
mine does it aswell but only with the std 15" wheels, when the 18's are on it fine( roll on the spring) the steeler up here says most mk4's do it!!!!! it just another mk4 problem to live with!!![:'(] god the list is getting bigger! but at least it nae french [;)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i woudlnt worry about it too much. i thinks its common on the mk4. just keep your hand on the steering wheel like you should and you will be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts