Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Does anyone know the rough cost of putting a turbo in my car excluding the turbo. I can get a hold of a fiat uno turbo for next to nothing from italy and what gearbox would i require? Also if i was to put things like a induction kit and so on would it be the same one as the 1.6 or would i need a different one?

Discussion starter · #42 ·
I was just talking to the guy who put a turbo on his 1.6 golf and he is from spain and not germany. He has told me it took him 3000 us dollars to do this. This is the method he recommended it for my car (more powerful than his car which is currently putting out 177,53bhp and with the method he has provided my car will be putting out around 295bhp[:p])

for a " monster " power, you have to change some engine?s parts.

like pistons and connecting rods.

you have to buy forged parts ( forged pistons and forged rods )

forged pistons ( all 4 ) it?s about to US$ 400 ~ 600.00

and the rods about to US$ 500 ~ 700.00

because the forged parts, will guarantee your engine durability ( for a long mileage without blowing parts ! )

then, you have to choose one of this three kind?s of turbo:

the supercharger ( or blower, also called roots );

the turbocharger ( I?ve one of it in my car );

the Paxton turbo;

I wouldnt say you could 'guarantee' engine reliability at all by strapping something to it that it wasn't originally intended to have. I would imagine to keep on the safe side you'll have to run moderate boost, and if you turn it up to get more power, id expect something to go bang at some point.

I still say your better buying a 1.8T and remapping it.... not least due to the fact you're limiting yourself to very few insurers by strapping a turbo to the 1.6

I was just talking to the guy who put a turbo on his 1.6 golf and he is from spain and not germany. He has told me it took him 3000 us dollars to do this. This is the method he recommended it for my car (more powerful than his car which is currently putting out 177,53bhp and with the method he has provided my car will be putting out around 295bhp[:p])
NO NO there is also one in germany mate [:D]

"It would be much easier, cheaper and more reliable to get a 1.8T transplanted... although the cost of that would probably exceed chopping your car in and buying a 1.8T anyway with all the extras like Recaros, coded trim, sports (ahem) suspension, wheels, brakes etc. They arent expensive anymore, especially not pre 2000 ones."

Exactly what I was thinkin!!!
only problem with this is most of us 1.6ers already have the recaro interior, coded the trim, uprated the suspension & brakes but have done the schoolboy error of plowing lots of money into it then a year later want a bit more power i have done the exact same and have been looking for some time to get as much power out of the 1.6 with out transplanting it so i can still insure it.

That was the thing i did

Not so much ploughing money into it by the skip full but trying to do something to fit the pocket i had at the time[:|].

I always wanted just that little bit more power out of it to compansate for how it loked, i looked at chips.turbos and even superchargers but came to the conclusion an engine swap was in order.

i first looked for the LCR 225 1.8T ENGINE CODE (BAM) but found this to be like rocking horse poo and then it seemed to die at that, untill i came across this V6 totally wasted at a local del-boy style car dealer asked how much he wanted for the car and to my suprise 500 quid[:O]

Well as you can imagine it was not there long LOL.

OK my insurance was not best pleased and dumped me[:O] NOT COOL so i went to the AA and got a quote that was 20 quid less than the 1.6 so that was a bonus for me.

and going from 105 BHP to 204BHP is WELL[:D][:D][:D][:D].

If you guys have a look at how old your car is and how much you have spent on it and what the value is(NOT YOUR VALUE) but the market value and see what a 1.8T will set you back and then to start all over again to have the car PROBABLY AN OLDER CAR the way you want it.

It would be cheeper to TRANSPLANT if the engine package was at the right price.

I am all for it as my car aint no import LOL[;)]

Andy

OUY! T10HJS

To Do List- Oettinger Grill, R32 Pedals, Big Brake Conversion,
Stainless Manifold, Remap, Paint Front + Rear Valance, Gear Knob,
Re-fabric interior, Sharan Badge, Brushed Ali Trim + Handels,

You can strike the GEAR KNOB off your list now as it is on its merry way from the father land!!!!![Y]

"It would be much easier, cheaper and more reliable to get a 1.8T transplanted... although the cost of that would probably exceed chopping your car in and buying a 1.8T anyway with all the extras like Recaros, coded trim, sports (ahem) suspension, wheels, brakes etc. They arent expensive anymore, especially not pre 2000 ones."

Exactly what I was thinkin!!!
only problem with this is most of us 1.6ers already have the recaro interior, coded the trim, uprated the suspension & brakes but have done the schoolboy error of plowing lots of money into it then a year later want a bit more power i have done the exact same and have been looking for some time to get as much power out of the 1.6 with out transplanting it so i can still insure it.
Exactly the same with me, Ive got a recaro trim to match with my car, fk highsport coilovers to go on aswell, bodywork soon, a full smoothing over, & I know I wont wanna let go of it because it'll be my creation. So Mr Dent reform, if you are serious about an engine swap, how much would it set me back? Cheers [y]

blah you want a turbo in your 1.6

you will have to think about

oil and coolent lines and feeds

custom manifold

custom downpipe

custom exhaust

IC and piping

DV etc

mapping

internals possibly

drop the subject it isnt going to happen, it will cost much more than the car is worth, buy a 1.8T remap it, then if that isnt fast enough for ya slap a bigger turbo on it.

OUY! T10HJS

To Do List- Oettinger Grill, R32 Pedals, Big Brake Conversion, Stainless Manifold, Remap, Paint Front + Rear Valance, Gear Knob, Re-fabric interior, Sharan Badge, Brushed Ali Trim + Handels,

You can strike the GEAR KNOB off your list now as it is on its merry way from the father land!!!!![Y]
O sorry about that there you go all up todate

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Right so i have decided to go down the transplant route. How much would it set me back if i had a v6 transplant. What would i need to get changed on my 1.6? Could anyone here do it for me and for how much? Thanks

Well i think i know someone on here who has done one[:p]

SHOPPING LIST

V6 + 6 speed gearbox compleat with gear shifter controals and engine mounts + front drive shafts

Raidator, Front suspension legs and hubs with 312mm brakes (OR UP GRADE TO BIGGER)

front ARB

ECU+ speedo and ignition barrel and key

custom cat back system like i had done in 2.5"

Think that is about it[Y]

once you have all that you need to get some ?S

unless you can find someone who can disable the ESP or get the car to think it now has 2 wheels the ESP light will not be able to be switched off

but who needs ESP spoils all the fun i think lol

ABS will all still work as normal

Should be the same sort of work but not sure about the fuel lines and you would have to change the fuel tank due to the size of the nozel and also a diesel cooler and probably a thousand other small but important things[:|]

I have only done 1 conversion and that was on my own car but it really is not that hard

common sence more than anything mate

That was the thing i did

Not so much ploughing money into it by the skip full but trying to do something to fit the pocket i had at the time[:|].

I always wanted just that little bit more power out of it to compansate for how it loked, i looked at chips.turbos and even superchargers but came to the conclusion an engine swap was in order.

i first looked for the LCR 225 1.8T ENGINE CODE (BAM) but found this to be like rocking horse poo and then it seemed to die at that, untill i came across this V6 totally wasted at a local del-boy style car dealer asked how much he wanted for the car and to my suprise 500 quid[:O]

Well as you can imagine it was not there long LOL.

OK my insurance was not best pleased and dumped me[:O] NOT COOL so i went to the AA and got a quote that was 20 quid less than the 1.6 so that was a bonus for me.

and going from 105 BHP to 204BHP is WELL[:D][:D][:D][:D].

If you guys have a look at how old your car is and how much you have spent on it and what the value is(NOT YOUR VALUE) but the market value and see what a 1.8T will set you back and then to start all over again to have the car PROBABLY AN OLDER CAR the way you want it.

It would be cheeper to TRANSPLANT if the engine package was at the right price.

I am all for it as my car aint no import LOL[;)]

Andy
if i could find a 1.8T lump could you fit it for me? how many days did it take to do your conversion when i contacted some transplant companies they said a few weeks. what do you tell your insurance company? and what about your serviceing and stuff surley they have down that your REG is a 1.6

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.