Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing the videos of 1.6 golfs on youtube and came across 2 videos of a 1.6 turbo. Is it possible to put a turbo on a 1.6 golf as I was told it isnt, not easily or cheaply anyway as the compression is too high.

These are the links to the videos:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not seen before.... Could it be someone's project ??

Jay
I dont know myself but just wanted to know because I wanted a turbo on my golf 1.6 sr but like I said earlier and was told it wouldn't be cheap or easy and eariler on today I came across that video. Looks pretty fast dont u think? and tempting. I want one now! [:p]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well whatever he has done hopefully we will find out soon as I have sent him a message askin him what n how he has fitted a turbo on his 1.6 etc. So fingers crossed he will reply. I am very anxious to find out lol

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
look at the pic again. its be photoshoped. the car is at 0mph. you can clearly see the line which has been rubbed away. its all a joke there isnt a 1.6T out there

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
oh i agree it can be done but only by shelling out all your money. and i think its a hoax because why photoshop a pic if you can actually acheve those speeds

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry guys, there has been a misunderstang. The 'photoshopped' picture was of my own golf 1.6 (non-turbo) but the videos of the turbo golf were real and I just wanted to share this. I have taken the photoshopped picture off to stop any further misunderstandings

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
There is a 1.6 TURBO out there and yes it is in EUROPE, Germany to be precise

seen it with my own 2 eyes and is constructed from a beefed up 1.6 16V 105 BHP running a 6 speed box and the turbo i think he said was from a fiat uno

throwing out around 140-150 BHP[:|]

that is not so much a money thing but a KNOWLEDGE thing

Andy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks would you happen to know the cost of getting one of these fitted? and do you know how it would compare to the 1.8 turbo and also would you have to get brakes etc upgraded?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any idea of how I would do this? Sorry to ask so many questions but I dont have a clue about these things. But want my car to go as fast as possible lol

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It would be much easier, cheaper and more reliable to get a 1.8T transplanted... although the cost of that would probably exceed chopping your car in and buying a 1.8T anyway with all the extras like Recaros, coded trim, sports (ahem) suspension, wheels, brakes etc. They arent expensive anymore, especially not pre 2000 ones.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Unless you have chucked thousands at your motor already you are far better sell you 1.6 & buy a 1.8T for start its 150bhp before you have even remapped it.. It will also cost less on insurance. I'm sure you have heard it a million times before but I'm talking from experience.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
That is true in some ways mate but if you think i converted my car over to a V6 from a 1.6 for a very nice 1000 quid plus i had all the extrs i have already put on the car and if i am honest i have less problems with the car now than i did before LOL

1000 Quid includs fitting the engine myself along with brembo 4 pots and some bits and bobs OH also full recaro trim LOL

i have also said if anyone on here wants to do an engine transplant i will give my services, time and guarage to do this for a very resonable price that most will no be able to beat.

It is so much more rewarding for me now to drive my car than it ever was and when you drive around 40-50000 miles every year it makes all the diffrence.

i probably have a better spec on my car now than VW has ever built [;)]

and that is what is is all about

HAVING FUN WITH YOUR MOTOR

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes but I was just really interested as it was the first golf 1.6 turbo I had seen and it looked pretty fast

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how much do you think it would cost me to turbo my car with a fiat uno turbo? and would it be a easy task? Where are you based Dent Reform?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dent reform you must be good with the spanners have a good idea with what you are doing + have all the tools for the job.. Me I don't have a clue or trust my self on a job like that so you have to take lab rates into account. Plus the 4motion engine is a bit more powerfull & up to the job a 1.6T is no man's land you don't know what you are getting your self into cost wise.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts