Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my second car and having a Golf already I thought what better way to compliment the fleet than to invest in another sturdy Mk IV.

However, I am torn between an S reg 1.6 Golf (in Jazz blue with 15" alloys & 69k miles) and an S reg 1.8 Focus Zetec in pale metallic blue with 56k miles, both about ?3k.

I seem to be steering towards the focus though, as I reckon the handling will be miles better and the drive more entertaining, plus I have a Golf GT TDi already and so there will be a visible difference in equipment spec and driving pleasure when swapping between the two.

Now I suspect, with this being a VW site, the majority of you will be telling me "Golf Golf Golf !!!" but if there are any of you who might be able to see past their current loyalty (as I'm sure it changes when you change your own car for a different marque) I would be interested to hear your recommendations !!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
438 Posts
Considering you already have a TDi, you will notice a massive
difference driving the 1.6. If I was in your position, I'd almost
definately get the Focus. Quality isnt up there with the golf, but they
handle so much better and the 1.8 is a nice little engine. I've driven
several different Focus's ( a couple of them in anger ) and the focus
is far more entertaining handling wise than the golf. Its so much more
capable, its unbelievable. I wouldn't chose one over a golf for a main
car, but as an addittion to your fleet, you cant go wrong mate.

Peter

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive just come from a Focus 1.6 to the Golf 1.6. The Golf is better made but mine is very slow comp to the Focus.

All panels on the Focus are as thin as paper. i had loads of little dings on all sides, one of the reasons for getting rid.

My Ford dealer was fine more than i could say about the VW guys (Sharks)

Go Ford you have a VW to play with anyway...

·
Registered
316 Posts
get the focus and lower it 35mm.. there was no difference in ride quality when i lowered it slightly when i had mine.. and it handled very well.. better than the golf..

get the focus.. although for an S reg you want to be looking at paying about ?2500 to be honest..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Much as I hate to say it and aside from build quality, Focus is the better car! Ford dealerships are better at looking after their customers than VW dealerships it seems (people at my work like their Ford dealerships a lot it seems).

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
you should of done this as poll............100% towards the focus so far........

and my vote goes to the focus too..........better car. simple.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since you have a Golf already seems like a waste to get a slower 2nd one. Go with the focus!

What year is an S reg? I've no idea how the English reg system works!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mines a 1998 S reg.

I'd also go with the focus, purely for being able to drive something different.

Both cars have their merits, but you are already experiencing the golfs in your TDI......

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I get to drive a Golf 1.6 SE as well as my car and if you can imagine the handelling on a SE (or prob S too) is even more interesting that than my TDi 150 and thats saying something!! The Focus will be a really fun car espeically if its in Zetec trim.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I too have had better treatment from my local Ford dealer than the VW one even though they are owned by the same company.  Ford parts are reasonably priced and the 1.8 engines seem pretty economical though nothing like as refined as my VW 1.8T.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
get the focus.

this was my last car,1.8 zetec bought it brand new and spent nearly 15k on it[:'(]

but it was a show winner.[:D]

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I don't mean to go off topic but, 15K what the heck did you buy? that's a lotta cash
you mean appart from the 2 wheel drive cossie transplant[:D],the 5x diferent body kits,the full cobra blue and black leather interea and the 4x different full stainless exhaust systems.and that was just for starters in less than 3 years.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just my 2p worth, but where I used to work we had quite a few Focus company cars, with various trim levels and I could never get on with the seating position on any of them. I suppose it depends on how long your legs are, but I always found that there wasn't enough support under my thighs and this made them uncomfortable and tiring to drive.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's your Mrs car. What does it matter what she drives? You have a car you are happy with.

(It has to be the Focus though. Soooo much more fun out of the box.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's your Mrs car. What does it matter what she drives? You have a car you are happy with.

(It has to be the Focus though. Soooo much more fun out of the box.)
It'll be my car as the missus uses the Golf for work, I currently drive a crap heap of a Fiesta Si :(

Looks like the Focus is winning LOL, and I know deep down that it appeals more, especially for the driving pleasure

Posted Image

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Focus may be a better car to drive, but a poorer one to own, and shares a few 'problematic' areas with the Golf IV. The suspension can be very problematic, especially on early cars, as this one is being S-reg. Having a father who was a fleet manager for 30 years up until retirement last year, i got to drive a good cross section of both Focus' and Golf ' and without doubt the Golf is the better car to TO OWN. It just feels so much nicer to be in and, subjectivley to look at. Having discussed the subject with dear ol' dad he said that overall the Golf was slightly ahead of the Focus fo general reliability, and the Golf certainly suffered fewer mechanical and suspension problems than the Focus, and with the rear suspension on the Focus being independent this can cause trouble when it comes to labour rates. Having said this the 1800 had a better engine than the 1600 Focus did, but overall the 1800 felt no faster than the 8valve Golf overall. As the Focus grew in age, again the early cars in particular, they tend to be a bit 'Italian' on the build quality front although the few South - African built Golf's he had on the fleet suffered a similar fate.

And always remember it may drive like a roller- skate but it will always be a Ford. With a Golf you are driving a bit of an automotive icon, whereas with a Focus you are driving rental car fodder in my opinion, but i will admit, secretively, that before driving a New Golf after driving a Focus 1.8, i was very tempted to order one. In addition just think of all the mods you can try on your second Golf before adding them to your own. Best of luck and i am sure you will make the right decision !

·
Registered
737 Posts
Clearly the Focus is the better handling car and a 1.8 Zetec is one of the best models to go for but I would still consider the Golf. One issue I have with ford is quite a simple one; why did they only seem fit to make ABS standard in 2003 when VW fitted it on the MKIV from day one. (5 years earlier) Likewise the number of airbags; even now the new Focus lags the Golf in safety features. Ford seems more interested in cosmetics than safety features hence VW will always get my vote on that count. Additionally build quality and interior; the original Focus feels tinny and has a cheap and tacky interior whilst the Golf is built to BMW/Mercedes standards. If the Golf is an SE I would definitely go for it; not a fan of Jazz Blue though. As others have said; a Focus is still a Ford and you can do plenty to modify a MKIV if desired.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts