Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum, :) new memeber and my first post.

Proud owner of a 1.6 golf 2001 my second car, had a ford fiesta before. I know its now a power house but its a tidy car and well I love it!

Hopefully a few mods will make it just right, mainly cosmetic. Going to start with some nice alloys and then sort out suspension, brakes etc. I'd lobve this W8 light mod, which is on my to do list. And a bigger rear wiper maybe one from a polo I think will fit. Stacks of stuff I fancy doing lol I found a new thing to empty all my wages into.

Anyways purpose of this post is how to heck do you take the engine cover off ? what tools I'll need an a cack handed simple guide to do it lol. You could say I'm a bit clumsy

I want to get at the throttle body and clean it as when I sit in neutral sometimes it just revs itself and today it actually got so bad it stalled the car! so thats my first mission. [:)]

Bit thick mechanically and with simple stuff [:S] but am always game to have a go.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
If it is the same as what used to be in my car then all you need to get the cover off is a good firm grip of it and it pull it upwards with a bit of force.

It is only held on by 4 rubber gromets and then you should be able to see what tools you need to remove the throttle body#

OH dont forget to disconect the breather pipe from the air box(engine cover) on the rear left side.

Andy

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm guessing it depends on if you have 8v or 16v, I'm assuming it's 16v as you're a 2001 1.6.

If it is then it's simple enough like said earlier, firm grip at the top of it and pull then same at bottom, it's mostly held on by the TB really

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi :)

I managed to get the engine cover off, took a bit of force but came off ok.

Before I went any further with touching the throttle body I called up my local vw specilist for some advice and he said tampering and cleaning it would probably make it worse as it needs to be reset with a computer if not the rev counter needle will jump all over the place and probably randomly stall. They want £118 to clean and reset it.

As I don't have that to spare, I called my local regular garage where I got my fiesta fixed \ serviced for 5 years and he said no need for a computer reset. After cleaning it take it for a drive and it will sort itself out as it has a learning computer. He'd do it for £80

Who's right the vw specilist or my local garage guy ?

<Matthew confused>

I've put the engine cover back on, as to wait for some advice on here :)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hello mate

I cleaned my one with KENT brake part cleaner and so did my VW dealer in germany when i had that problem so i still say do it youself and save the cash for mods as even 80 squid is tooooooo much for a job that even a first timer could do.

you should not need to take it off to do it, when the engine is off you can move the buterfly valve with your fingers to remove the dirt tha colects around the edge and just spray some into the housing and clean as much as you can

Start her up and see if that is better and if not then take it to you local garage

Andy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey forum, :) new memeber and my first post.

Proud owner of a 1.6 golf 2001 my second car, had a ford fiesta before. I know its now a power house but its a tidy car and well I love it!

Hopefully a few mods will make it just right, mainly cosmetic. Going to start with some nice alloys and then sort out suspension, brakes etc. I'd lobve this W8 light mod, which is on my to do list. And a bigger rear wiper maybe one from a polo I think will fit. Stacks of stuff I fancy doing lol I found a new thing to empty all my wages into.

Anyways purpose of this post is how to heck do you take the engine cover off ? what tools I'll need an a cack handed simple guide to do it lol. You could say I'm a bit clumsy

I want to get at the throttle body and clean it as when I sit in neutral sometimes it just revs itself and today it actually got so bad it stalled the car! so thats my first mission. [:)]

Bit thick mechanically and with simple stuff [:S] but am always game to have a go.

Thanks
Hello Matthews,

Can you explain further your problem with the revving in neutral please?
It sounds like a similar problem to mine, but i havent done anything about it yet.

I have a 2001 1.6SE Golf with 60k miles.

Thanks
Iain

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
what happens is

where the buterfly valve is (the bit that opens when you fut your foot down) gets dirty around the edge and can cause it to serge or eratic reving if you clean the round cylinder and the dege of the flap it should settle it down

MAKE SURE that the engine is off to do this otherwise you will not be able to move the valve dur to it beeing conected to a small servo motor.

i used to do this every couple of thousand miles as it used to cure it

Andy

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I done mine around 2 months ago, and mine did not need to be re-alligned. Best way to do it is, find someone with vag-com, call em over, clean out your throttle housing, as it will only take you 5 mins! and then get them to reset it for a few beers! [Y]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Iian,

I had a 1.6s 16v 2001 golf with 42k. Basically when it sometimes idling it just starts revving itself it the rev needle then bounces and so does the engine sound. It just comes on all of a sudden somedays its fine. Thats pretty much it.

Sounds like I can give it a go without making a mess. Will attempt it on Sunday.

Where might I find this KENT brake cleaner ? or would any carb cleaner do the job. Halfords is my nearest place I can find stuff like this from, not sure what they have.

Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Iian,

I had a 1.6s 16v 2001 golf with 42k. Basically when it sometimes idling it just starts revving itself it the rev needle then bounces and so does the engine sound. It just comes on all of a sudden somedays its fine. Thats pretty much it.

Sounds like I can give it a go without making a mess. Will attempt it on Sunday.

Where might I find this KENT brake cleaner ? or would any carb cleaner do the job. Halfords is my nearest place I can find stuff like this from, not sure what they have.

Cheers
Hi

That sounds the same as mine. Though it revs whilst driving too. It has done it numerous times on the motorway, then I change gear, or put clutch in and its revving loads, even in neutral and nothing on the pedals. In the past I have stopped on the side of the raod and turned the engine off. Sat there for 5 mins, started up again and its fine.

So it sounds like its the butterfly valve then? I did have my local mechanic check it out, but he couldn't find anything. When Im back, i will have a look and see if it is filthy.

Thanks
Iain

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

Just an update on the throttle body cleaning.

All cleaned was pretty dirty, took about 45 minutes, not issues after cleaning as was said. Took it for a lengthy drive no problems whats so ever. Actually felt a lot nicer. Amazing what a simple clean will do!

Thanks again for the advice on this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts