Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok peeps[:)]

I have never driven/owned a Derve before so total newbee to the Dark side! I wish to be taught the ways of the sith!

I'm viewing/test driving three PD130's this weekend, what are the things I should look out for? are they quite noisy on start up and tend to quiet down after a while??

Think i'll be ok on the interior side of things, just the engine, running etc.

I under stand that the 130's have 15" boots and handle like a R32 (yeah right!!) i mean a boat!

After discussions with The Sith Lords (all you guys with TDI's) I have got a good idea of mods which will be carried out so thats cool!

·
Registered
125 Posts
right.... from the experience i had with mine!!! take it on dual
carriage way.... hold it at 70 in 6th gear for a mile at least then
drop it to 5th and floor it whilst possibly going up hill if you can or
slight incline!!! let the revs build and build going up to about 90
mph!!! if there is no loss of power and the turbos is pulling and
pulling your turbo should be fine, mine wasnt and i didnt spot this
till a week or two after buying it which ended up in a ?1500 repair
bill with Vw that was thankfully done under warranty!!! phew!!!

other than that check the rear wash jet aint leaking, erm flat spots when accelarating between 2-3000 rpm

oh and it will wallow like a boat yes!!! but save you in mpg!!! good luck with the test drive!!!

scott

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ok peeps[:)]

I have never driven/owned a Derve before so total newbee to the Dark side! I wish to be taught the ways of the sith!

I'm viewing/test driving three PD130's this weekend, what are the things I should look out for? are they quite noisy on start up and tend to quiet down after a while?? Yes - but you do get used to it fairly quickly too

Think i'll be ok on the interior side of things, just the engine, running etc.

I under stand that the 130's have 15" boots and handle like a R32 (yeah right!!) i mean a boat! Good news will be if it's got factory sports suspension that may also mean it could come with (optional too) 16" Monty IIs

After discussions with The Sith Lords (all you guys with TDI's) I have got a good idea of mods which will be carried out so thats cool!
The main thing to check is the build sticker in the service book or in the boot a 130 will have an ASZ engine code and show as 96Kw. Anything else just walk away (unless it says 110Kw then it's a 150 and they haven't noticed!)

As your experience with Golfs has already shown if the car is the right base for modding pretty much anything else can be swapped or bolted on, so don't get too hung up on spec if you can see potential - my 2p[:)]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any more "darkside" tips etc??

Just read through a previous thread, on how to spot difference between 150-130 very helpful.

Exhaust wise, do you get the same kind of benefits (like petrol) when you swap the oem for a milltek (for example)?

·
Registered
558 Posts
You will be surprised how it drives!  Completely different driving experience to petrol with all that low down grunt.  Usual things to look out for - dings, chips etc VW service history is the big one for me.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
When I was viewing, the main thing I was aware of was if it was an import or not. Its not really an issue, as we all know they are german anyway, just imports tended to have more toys as standard. (Winter pack etc).

As long as the speedo is not in kmph it should be ok.

An option on the 130s was the sports suspension pack which uprated the suspension to that of the 150pd and gave the car 16" montreal 2's instead of the standard 15" Avus 2's.

The engine on my 130 kicks in at around just under 2000 revs. If you try and pull away swiftly whilst the revs are around 1700 or below by putting your foot down, it may catch you out. For instant accelaration, have the revs between around 2000 and around 3750 and use the 6 gears well. I find this works best for me.

Folk have mentioned the turbo, I would try and accelarate with revs low and when they hit around 1800ish you should hear the turbo whistle (window down a little) as it kicks in.

The PD130 is a great car and I dont think you will be disappointed.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Forgot to mention. The exhaust on a diesel lasts alot longer than on a petrol car as the deposits inside the system from the diesel soot tend to form a protective layer throughout the inside of the exhaust preventing it rusting from the inside.

I couldnt comment on the increased performance of a miltek as I have no experience of it. I see the standard exhaust lasting longer as an advantage and dont intend to replace mine as its fine.

You also have email.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the offer mate but I am also purchasing a "weekend" car soon
after I get the derve! so I am on a strict ?9k budget! you Bora is
awesome though![H]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for your help guys!!!

Thanks for the reviews
Diesel
AWESOME info!!
Posted Image

..................and then you remap it!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've just fitted a high flow downpipe and full system from Milltek and i have noticed a difference, it pulls more freely and wants to go more plus it has a low tone which i didn't have with the Magnex one i had fitted before. Just need to get the map adjusted to stop my overboosting since fitting it.

Oh and it looks Great!!! I couldn't be more pleased with it[:D]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not yet as i'm waiting for my 4 Mo Valance to be painted doesn't sit 100% right on my Oettinger one. I'll stick a picture up for you the deadlock. Give me 10 mins.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah i got that feeling too.

I'll get you some pictures on Monday Deadlock then i can get the car on the ramp and take some better pics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts