Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to try repair a few bits of small rust I have and remove my rear badges (mk2 ones have holes under them)

im aware of all the jiggery pokery with prep etc, not a problem, my issue is this, if the area I have masked off is a square, then inevitably there will be a line where the new and old meets, how do I avoid that without masking up, which I€ obviously need to do to stop plastics and so forth being painted.

rookie question im sure but such is life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If youre painting the rear panel on a mk2 you would be better off painting the entire panel above the bumper and below the lights

I would use a flappy edge on the seams at each end and on the top edge to stop a hard paint edge

A flappy edge is where you fold about an 1/8th of an inch of the masking tape back on itself

If you need anymore info let me know

Cheers Marc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im no expert on this but i think if your going to do it you should prep and fill the holes and then prime this area but then key the area around the badges so you can overspray onto the panels blending the colours slightly , by doing this you should also be able to keep applying coats until the paint is a close match.

After that apply lots of layers of lacquer and go to town with soapy water and light wet and dry and then move onto an d.a polisher with cutting compounds, i am no expert but if you check youtube there are some decent videos giving tips and information about the subject.

good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts