Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help.

Ive never been to a car dealer before to get a new car.

I know the spec of the GTI I want but after reading in here about the no discounts the dealers are offering at the moment should I push for an option chucked in for free rather than the discount?

This is the spec i want is (can anyone see anything im missing thats an essential option, cheers)

5 door, Steel grey, 18s, xenons, satnav, cruise. The rrp is 24,480 for this. ( I would have liked leather but i cant push my budget that far. )

I was thinking trying to get the dealer to do it for 24 dead ? or will i just be wasting my breath?

Or Ive thought maybe asking for the winter pack chucked in for free?

hahaha ive got no idea what im doing. Any help would be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Right having purchased several brand new cars over the last few years there is only one thing you need to remember:

You need to walk away if the price is not right.

Its as simple as that. You know the specs. So go in, get a rapport going with the salesperson, let them talk u through the specs and then when it comes to money - you name the price! Dont back down and hunt around for better prices at other dealerships, especially the ones in smaller towns close to where you live! No doubt, someone somewhere will get u the car for the price you want!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers.

Yeah as much as I want a GTI I will not back down on my trade in price of my GT TDI.

We dont have any other VW dealers on the Island so unfortunately if they dont do me a deal .. I will be off to BMW and see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Deals at Bmw, Hah. My mate priced up a new 3 series coming to around £28k, all cash waiting,they wouldnt even knock a couple of hundred quid off it.

Its because they know if you dont have it for the specified price, somebody else will.

Good lcuk and keep us updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. I think i would have a chance here. They are not shifting many 3 series at all. I dont really want a bmer though but I might as well think like that so i can threaten the VW dealer im off to see a BMW. Cus i cant threaten im off to see another dealer.

Cheers

ps. Is the multi function steering wheel worth it?.. I havent really thought about it before but seeing the amount of interest in the retrofit thread on here makes me think people think its a worthwhile option?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Folks its now common to gain discounts from dealers, even on the R32 let alone the GTI. Try maybe two dealers or more and play them against each other. I would also try drivethedeal, and perhaps using their quotes against the dealer too.

The MSW is worth while if you're going to use the handsfree phone cradle option, plus it comes in handy to play about with other things too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers. Ive just got the drivethedeal quote at £23281. So I will see if they can get close to that.

Its likely they will use the old "its the Isle of man everything costs more" so I wont expect them to match that price but hopefully it might make them come down a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently bought a BMW and got what I percieved to be a good discount so they are out there it you work as it. I pitched 4 dealers against each other funnily the dealer whom was lowest first stayed the lowest a couple of dealers bailed out of he oppurtunity as there corporate polcies wouldn't allow them to do any more. 

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well quick update. I thought I would phone before going up to the dealer just in case.

and imagine my shock to be told they only have a 1.6 and a 2.0 diesel in.

Great. so now im going to have to go on a holiday to england which will cost me about 300 quid on the boat just to take a test drive.

ffs. [8o|]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sounds about right. Oh and for 45 quid, chuck the highline computer in on your spec, at that price it's pennies for a little more info and control on the computer [y]

C

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
little update. I finally got a test drive of a gti this morning. Basic spec car tho so couldnt bring myself to buy it . (he also wanted 21 k for a basic european import!).

I was a bit shocked at how small the windscreen is compared to my MKiv but got used to it after a bit.

The salesman told me to open it up but when i had hardly touched the accelerator and hit 80 before i noticed, i didnt do anymore than that. :)

Anyways, there is a car broker over here and i gave him the spec i want

manual
door
18inch monza alloy
wheels.
steel grey metallic
paint
xenon
headlights
anthracite
leather
6 cd changer in
armrest
highline
computer
cruise
control

and he can do it for 23995 otr. which is a saving of 700 quid. Is that a good enough saving? I think it is. Ive compared it to uknewcars and they can only do a 700 quid saving too.

The car is a UK car too not an import. and he said he can get it in 8 weeks! (not sure how true that bit is)

Cheers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't know whether its worth removing 'cruise' from the spec. & seeing how much the broker then quotes.

As a factory fit option its £270 but dealers fit the exact same unit for £150 all in now.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
manual
5 door
18inch monza alloy wheels.
steel grey metallic paint
xenon headlights
anthracite leather
6 cd changer in armrest
highline computer
cruise control
How about £23,248 OTR (UK dealer sourced) but without cruise (which as said previously is £150 as a retro fit). With cruise its £23,504 - saving £1,210.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well finally got my order in on saturday. :)

I Looked a bit of a plank cus i was trying to make sure he got anthracite leather down on the spec and he kept saying they only do anthracite so he put it down as just vienna leather. When i checked the GTI configurator, Beige is there as a choice so now im cacking my pants its gona come with beige leather. [+o(]

on a side note, can anyone point me in the direction of photos of a steel grey gti , 5 door with 18s? Im trying to find a good photo so i can show people the car im getting.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts